Sponsored by:

Disable PSE on GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:05 PM
synonymous
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disable PSE on GTS

So I have looked at other posts and have seen the pictures of the orange connector to disconnect in order to keep PSE on at all times, but i don't see this on my engine. There is a similar black connector in the right upper corner. Is this the correct one? Let me know if you need pics. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:25 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes upper right black plug with spring on the bottom.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...with-pics.html

Just did it this weekend. Leaves PSE on all the time and is very noticeably louder. Amazing sound but my neighbours may now protest.... Have Sharkwerks too.... Still deciding if I will leave it unplugged but nice thing is, it is easily reversible.

Last edited by jcsomerv; 02-25-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:53 AM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My advice to anyone that has a working PSE, and wants to force in the on (loud) position all the time is that, what they REALLY need, is a Louder exhaust so that the PSE button will prove useful. The stock exhaust note on the 997.2 and even 991 GTS is too quiet, which is why many want their PSE on all the time. I got the Sharkwerks center rear muffler bypass..its louder, sounds great and it works with PSE which I promise...you'll find useful after the mod
Old 02-25-2016, 02:28 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
My advice to anyone that has a working PSE, and wants to force in the on (loud) position all the time is that, what they REALLY need, is a Louder exhaust so that the PSE button will prove useful. The stock exhaust note on the 997.2 and even 991 GTS is too quiet, which is why many want their PSE on all the time. I got the Sharkwerks center rear muffler bypass..its louder, sounds great and it works with PSE which I promise...you'll find useful after the mod

Ha. Some of us who have PSE (and X51) AND Sharky bypass still find it too quiet, much of the time, when the PSE is plugged in. When you disconnect it, it sounds just about perfect across the whole range (and at all speeds).

It seems even in loud mode, the PSE, even with bypass, is less loud, at certain speeds (and not necessarily revs), when plugged in and functioning as intended. When you unplug it, it is loud ALL THE TIME. Which is glorious. ;-)

So... PSE + X51 + Sharky bypass + unplugged = just about as perfect as a 997.2 gets!
Old 02-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

This thread pops up every now and then. The thing is (according to info in the treads dating back to several years), Swiss noise abatement laws require require the PSE to be toned down between something like 35 to 75 kph so this is built in to every system. So, as referenced above, when you manually disconnect PSE (which apparently bypasses the muting function) and it remains on all the time, it does not seem louder all the time but is louder all the time. There is more info on this if you do a search (try PSE disable as keywords and Edgy01 as author; Dan always has great input on all things Porsche). If you don't feel like doing a search, here is a thread from 2006 with pretty good info.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rt-button.html
Old 02-25-2016, 11:35 AM
love2drive
Instructor

Thumbs up

Well, I guess you need more POWA... I mean a louder exhaust mod..... could bypass side cans as next step but be prepared for near fart can effect..neighbors a quater mile away will hate you. Other option is Fabspeed carbon fiber intake (I refuse to call it a cold air intake). That adds really enjoyable and more audible cabin sound experience all the time.. (with or without PSE on/off). My self, I drive my 997 GTS with Sharkwerks center rear muffler bypass, and PSE on about 85% of time but really appreciate the ability to turn it off sometimes.

Originally Posted by Ten Years
So... PSE + X51 + Sharky bypass + unplugged = just about as perfect as a 997.2 gets!
Old 02-25-2016, 01:15 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Other threads have indicated that Porsche stopped putting this noise abatement software on USA bound cars beginning with the 997.2 generation. As a result, the cutout is only applicable to 997.1 and 996 cars. My experience with my 997.2 supports this. Those with 997.2 cars in the thread: do you believe your exhaust cuts out based upon speed?
Old 02-25-2016, 01:36 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
Those with 997.2 cars in the thread: do you believe your exhaust cuts out based upon speed?
Yes! Absolutely since unplugging the PSE per the above instructions, there is MUCH more exhaust noise. There is clearly a cut in/out when the PSE circuit is plugged in. My car is a USA sourced 2009 997 with dealer installed PSE (sharkWerks added later too)
Old 02-25-2016, 02:21 PM
love2drive
Instructor

I haven't noticed the speed sensitive cut out. The flaps open on idle after exhaust button pressed...from there, the sound is louder at all speeds but most intensely at and above 4k. Mine is a 2012 GTS manual. (Last 997.2)

Other threads have indicated that Porsche stopped putting this noise abatement software on USA bound cars beginning with the 997.2 generation. As a result, the cutout is only applicable to 997.1 and 996 cars. My experience with my 997.2 supports this. Those with 997.2 cars in the thread: do you believe your exhaust cuts out based upon speed?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:54 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

I haven't noticed the speed sensitive cut out. The flaps open on idle after exhaust button pressed...from there, the sound is louder at all speeds but most intensely at and above 4k. Mine is a 2012 GTS manual. (Last 997.2)
I didn't either until I unplugged the PSE. Try it. It's way louder. Can always plug it back in.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:12 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Unplugged "it"?.. as if there's only one solenoid. Lol.. In fact, there are two related solenoids for a 997.2 (at least that's what master tech told me porche dealership ) One for right, and one for left exhaust. In total, I've counted no less than 4 or 5 in the engine bay that route vacuum for various purposes. A fault in any solenoid or a leak anywhere could ruin one or more functions elsewhere. Such faults are difficult to repair (time consuming) and could involve a need to drop the engine. I'd rather not mess with the system since I'm happy that it's working quite well right now.

I don't really want it louderor to alter the characteristics beyond the sharkwerks center bypass.

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
I didn't either until I unplugged the PSE. Try it. It's way louder. Can always plug it back in.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:07 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Those with 997.2 cars in the thread: do you believe your exhaust cuts out based upon speed?
Absolutely.

The difference is clearly noticeable. No doubt about it.

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
Yes. This.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:23 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Unplugged "it"?.. as if there's only one solenoid. Lol.. In fact, there are two related solenoids for a 997.2 (at least that's what master tech told me porche dealership ) One for right, and one for left exhaust. In total, I've counted no less than 4 or 5 in the engine bay that route vacuum for various purposes. A fault in any solenoid or a leak anywhere could ruin one or more functions elsewhere. Such faults are difficult to repair (time consuming) and could involve a need to drop the engine. I'd rather not mess with the system since I'm happy that it's working quite well right now. I don't really want it louderor to alter the characteristics beyond the sharkwerks center bypass.
Try it. You will see. Not saying it is good or not. Just saying that disconnecting that one plug made a big difference in sound.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:54 PM
love2drive
Instructor

I tried it, happy?

Not absolutely sure if it's louder since I did it in the morning (a time where the exhaust is typically louder) before work. But, admittedly, it sounded even louder than usual, and with a lower tone. But not sure. I'll try with/without connected tonight and this weekend.

Last edited by love2drive; 02-26-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:00 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the 997.2 really does have the cutout, I wish someone smarter than me would figure out how to do this on a 997:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...with-pics.html

Quick Reply: Disable PSE on GTS