Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable PSE on GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did an experiment on the way to the office this morning and am in the camp of no cutout on a 997.2. I cruised on level ground with a constant throttle application in the supposed "dead zone" and used the PSE button to actuate the mufflers. There was still a significant difference in sound between the loud and quiet modes. Furthermore, when slowly applying throttle to cross into the supposed dead zone I noticed no difference in sound.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
Unplugged "it"?.. as if there's only one solenoid. Lol.. In fact, there are two related solenoids for a 997.2 (at least that's what master tech told me porche dealership ) One for right, and one for left exhaust. In total, I've counted no less than 4 or 5 in the engine bay that route vacuum for various purposes. A fault in any solenoid or a leak anywhere could ruin one or more functions elsewhere. Such faults are difficult to repair (time consuming) and could involve a need to drop the engine. I'd rather not mess with the system since I'm happy that it's working quite well right now.

I don't really want it louderor to alter the characteristics beyond the sharkwerks center bypass.
Again, a discussion (not particularly on this topic) about 9 months ago that discussed PSE workings, solenoids, vacuum lines, switches. Too much for my pea brain but you may find it interesting - relevant posts are #'s3, 4 and 5

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...e-working.html

BTW, my PSE (w/Sharwerks bypass) is certainly quieter at certain RPM's.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:46 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Unplugged "it"?.. as if there's only one solenoid. Lol.. In fact, there are two related solenoids for a 997.2 (at least that's what master tech told me porche dealership ) One for right, and one for left exhaust. In total, I've counted no less than 4 or 5 in the engine bay that route vacuum for various purposes. A fault in any solenoid or a leak anywhere could ruin one or more functions elsewhere. Such faults are difficult to repair (time consuming) and could involve a need to drop the engine. I'd rather not mess with the system since I'm happy that it's working quite well right now.

I don't really want it louderor to alter the characteristics beyond the sharkwerks center bypass.
Love2drive: There is actually a single electrical solenoid that controls the vacuum for both mufflers. This is what they are saying can be unplugged. There is one vacuum solenoid, let's call these valves to differentiate, on each of the two side mufflers that are controlled by vacuum that comes through the single electrically-controlled solenoid and is distributed into two vacuum lines via a tee at the far right side of the engine. The master tech would have been referring to the vacuum-driven valves/solenoids, not the electrical solenoid. I installed the PSE myself using the Porsche service bulletin for this and used all of the proper vacuum parts and plumbed it just as detailed in the bulletin, so I know precisely how this is installed. I'll be glad to share the bulletin with you if you are interested.

jcsomerv: You may be interested in a couple of additional posts about how to install a direct switch for the PSE I did some time ago (this post also references an earlier post on how I ran the wires). The switch can be discretely placed in the cockpit and directly wired to the solenoid. I keep the PSE quiet when I'm in my quiet neighborhood or when I just want to be more discrete, but I can flip it on at will whenever the conditions are right. The level of effort is moderately high however since you have to remove some interior trim to do it the same way I did. And for the record, others did this before me, I just tweaked my version a little but relied on the guidance of other posts to pull this off. See a link to my posts here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...vice-2.html#22

A final note to this thread: The PSE/Sharkwerks combo isn't as loud to outside observers as it would seem from the car unless you get in a parking garage or tunnel to retain more sound. My son and I did some tests on this and recorded some of it on video. Ultimately we were surprised it wasn't louder. If those of you with PSE and Sharkwerks or Fabspeed haven't tried this, have someone drive your car by you at varying degrees of throttle. I think you will be surprised to find it isn't as brashly loud as you might think. For me it is spot on. Here is a link to a video we did trying to demonstrate this. As most of you know, videos don't really do justice to the sounds of our cars, but it does give you some idea: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...able-2.html#25. Ideally you'll want headphones or earbuds. Sorry about the wind noise.

Last edited by StormRune; 02-26-2016 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Adding video link
Old 02-27-2016, 03:43 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
I did an experiment on the way to the office this morning and am in the camp of no cutout on a 997.2. I cruised on level ground with a constant throttle application in the supposed "dead zone" and used the PSE button to actuate the mufflers. There was still a significant difference in sound between the loud and quiet modes. Furthermore, when slowly applying throttle to cross into the supposed dead zone I noticed no difference in sound.
Perhaps it's much more noticeable with a (Sharkwerks) bypass? There is definitely a big difference in sound with it unplugged. Don't know how else to explain it. It just is louder more of the time. Best of luck.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:36 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

I removed the third muffler and installed bypass pipes probably a month or two ago. I can hear the exhaust quite well.

Tried it again today, same result.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:40 AM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Many Thanks StormRune! I appreciate the clarification.
Originally Posted by StormRune
Love2drive: There is actually a single electrical solenoid that controls the vacuum for both mufflers. This is what they are saying can be unplugged. There is one vacuum solenoid, let's call these valves to differentiate, on each of the two side mufflers that are controlled by vacuum that comes through the single electrically-controlled solenoid and is distributed into two vacuum lines via a tee at the far right side of the engine. The master tech would have been referring to the vacuum-driven valves/solenoids, not the electrical solenoid. I installed the PSE myself using the Porsche service bulletin for this and used all of the proper vacuum parts and plumbed it just as detailed in the bulletin, so I know precisely how this is installed. I'll be glad to share the bulletin with you if you are interested.

jcsomerv: You may be interested in a couple of additional posts about how to install a direct switch for the PSE I did some time ago (this post also references an earlier post on how I ran the wires). The switch can be discretely placed in the cockpit and directly wired to the solenoid. I keep the PSE quiet when I'm in my quiet neighborhood or when I just want to be more discrete, but I can flip it on at will whenever the conditions are right. The level of effort is moderately high however since you have to remove some interior trim to do it the same way I did. And for the record, others did this before me, I just tweaked my version a little but relied on the guidance of other posts to pull this off. See a link to my posts here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...vice-2.html#22

A final note to this thread: The PSE/Sharkwerks combo isn't as loud to outside observers as it would seem from the car unless you get in a parking garage or tunnel to retain more sound. My son and I did some tests on this and recorded some of it on video. Ultimately we were surprised it wasn't louder. If those of you with PSE and Sharkwerks or Fabspeed haven't tried this, have someone drive your car by you at varying degrees of throttle. I think you will be surprised to find it isn't as brashly loud as you might think. For me it is spot on. Here is a link to a video we did trying to demonstrate this. As most of you know, videos don't really do justice to the sounds of our cars, but it does give you some idea: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...able-2.html#25. Ideally you'll want headphones or earbuds. Sorry about the wind noise.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:24 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Carnewal sells a pse controller that you just plug in and can control the valve by remote control. U can have it open all the time or closed all the time. Of u can have them set it up so the two choices are open all the time or function like stock. I have this on my gt3 that has a full header setup. It's nice to be able to control the pse by remote independent of sport button
Old 02-28-2016, 10:07 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

That is a good idea for 997.1 cars like yours. However 997.2 cars come from the factory with a button that controls the exhaust independent of the sport or sport plugs buttons.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:45 PM
mblueracer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered and installed Carnewal remote after reading many threads about PSE in sport mode not always on. I have also Sharky bypass (2009 C4S). It works as advertised: 10 minutes installation and one button loud, one button less loud. Last mode memorized when you start engine again. PSE button on console becomes useless.
Since it is made in Europe, the homelink button programming is not possible because homelink frequencies in USA are not the same. I have not found yet a way to generate a homelink Euro spec signal beyond the remote provided by Carnewal. I'm thinking about how to conceal this remote nicely.
In terms of sound experience, yes there is a difference at low and moderate speeds, from the driver seat. I have never listened to my car in motion from outside since I'm the only authorized driver for now. The difference is not that huge for my ears. Probably because revs are not that high at low speed. In a tunnel it is fun indeed.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:22 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Impression of disconnected pse..with sharkwerks center bypass

Ok, I tried it a few more times...and always find myself reverting back to re-connecting (enabling pse toggle from inside cabin) a few hours to couple days later.. While it Certainly IS louder with the connector disconnected, it is also less refined. I feel that both the sound and throttle response becomes less Porsche precise (for lack of a better analogy).. I mean, if you're say 40yo or younger, and going out on the weekend and want a tougher sound...by all means disconnect the switch. You will get whatyou're looking for (or at least get closer to it ). But if you want to go mountain carvingor just have a sharper yet louder driving experience, I'd opt to using the sports exhaust button (with wire connected). I've realized that the driving experience seemd most responsiversatile and satisfying with sports exhaust off. It makes me wonder if the Sharkwerks bypass was the right thing to do as the car''s power delivery does seem less silky smooth compared to stock. That there is my honest impressions at this point of ownership. Take it how you want. I probably would have gotten the Sharkwerks exhaust either way had I read a post like this prior. For others, it might tilt the balance either way.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:51 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Ok, I tried it a few more times...and always find myself reverting back to re-connecting (enabling pse toggle from inside cabin) a few hours to couple days later.. While it Certainly IS louder with the connector disconnected, it is also less refined. I feel that both the sound and throttle response becomes less Porsche precise (for lack of a better analogy).. I mean, if you're say 40yo or younger, and going out on the weekend and want a tougher sound...by all means disconnect the switch. You will get whatyou're looking for (or at least get closer to it ). But if you want to go mountain carvingor just have a sharper yet louder driving experience, I'd opt to using the sports exhaust button (with wire connected). I've realized that the driving experience seemd most responsiversatile and satisfying with sports exhaust off. It makes me wonder if the Sharkwerks bypass was the right thing to do as the car''s power delivery does seem less silky smooth compared to stock. That there is my honest impressions at this point of ownership. Take it how you want. I probably would have gotten the Sharkwerks exhaust either way had I read a post like this prior. For others, it might tilt the balance either way.
Yeah, I certainly understand what you are saying. Since my PSE was added after I got the car I was initially lazy and didn't add up the vacuum valve plumbing or the switch mechanisms. I also have the Sharkwerks bypass and still think it was a good addition, but there are lots of times where the combination of bypass and open PSE are too much for me, much as you have stated. I eventually ended up adding the vacuum plumbing and vacuum solenoid switch but hardwired the electrical to a switch tucked away in the cockpit so I can opt for the angrier sound when I want to, but be more civil most of the time (without doing all of the proper electrical for the OEM in-console switch that requires a lot more work than you might think).

BTW, my son and I did various drive-by tests from outside the car and found that it isn't nearly as loud on the street side or from other cars as we thought from what we hear on the inside, both in PSE open and PSE closed modes. But much of the time I still opt for the quieter setting since I agree with you that it certainly seems more refined yet adequately powerful that way. But sometimes I just find myself yearning for that off-throttle burble/crackle that you only get with the PSE open and the Sharkwerks installed.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

arriving late but good info here. Just went in the work parking lot and did it. Looking forward to taking it out for a bit here to see what my handiwork has accomplished

Quick Reply: Disable PSE on GTS