Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE Ashtray switch advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:30 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

I too liked the round one better although from the spec sheets on Philmore's website, it appears the round switch is larger in size/diameter and likely won't fit into the same small area.

Regarding the cigarette snubber, I imagine it pulls out somehow? I removed the ashtray and prodded around a bit but I didn't want to just go prying on anything.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I am missing something... What are you trying to achieve? Turn the PSE on without sport button?
You realize that if you unplug the orange plug in the engine bay, PSE stays on?
Are there going to be instances where you will turn it off and on? Had mine on all the time at my C4S...
I know you are going for the neat approach, but consider the effort for the utility? If you plan to be on most or all the time why switch? Unplug!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
I too liked the round one better although from the spec sheets on Philmore's website, it appears the round switch is larger in size/diameter and likely won't fit into the same small area.

Regarding the cigarette snubber, I imagine it pulls out somehow? I removed the ashtray and prodded around a bit but I didn't want to just go prying on anything.
Yes, the snubber pulls off easily. I also had to remove the white plastic light cover.

I use the switch a lot, as I tend to run in quiet mode most of the time, but like the ability to turn on the loud once in a while.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:30 AM
frallan62
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am about to retrofit PSE and manual switch in my 997. C4S. I looked at your pictures and wonder why you needed two wires from the fuse box? Isn't it enough with the orange fused wire?

How did you lead the wire into the engine bay without removing any panels?

Fredrik
Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Just resaw the pics. The second power wire was for my remoteKey.
Hope all goes well.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:20 AM
frallan62
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Just resaw the pics. The second power wire was for my remoteKey.
Hope all goes well.
Thanks Larry, how did you lead the wires to the engine bay? Removed any panels?
Fredrik
Old 11-10-2015, 12:03 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by frallan62
Thanks Larry, how did you lead the wires to the engine bay? Removed any panels?
Fredrik
I don't know the magic on how to do this without remove a panel, but
in a thread asking about running a wire for a camera I described how I ran a wire through the large grommet in the interior back passenger side wheel well area. That post is here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...briolet.html#6

Also FYI: Rather than have to drill a hole to install my switch and to make it accessible without having to open the ashtray, I installed the switch on the side of the console. I used high strength 3 double-sided tape stuck to the inside edge of the console where it will never be seen when/if the switch is removed. This tape was used to hold a small L-shaped bracket. I attached the switch to that as shown in the photo below. It's not in the way of my legs but is easily accessed by reaching down beside my leg.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:11 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That large rubber grommet up in the rear passenger side fender area is the only location where wiring goes between the cabin and the engine compartment. There are 1 or 2 spare rubber webs in that grommet that can be fairly easily slit to pass through a wire. To access it from the cabin can be challenging, although on cabriolets it isn't too hard. I passed a stiff fish wire into the engine bay from the cabin side, then pulled the PSE wires through from the engine bay into the cabin area.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:49 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Wire was run as per previous posts, by dealer, I wired switch.

Quick Reply: PSE Ashtray switch advice