Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Fuchs Rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 02:34 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Nothing beats a set of real fuchs on a carrera. Congrats, they look great!
Old 02-14-2016, 03:06 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
I'm pretty sure I'm getting the OEM ones from the Sport Classic for my car in a couple of months. This thread is helping to solidify that decision.
Why no real (forged) ones? Those Sport Classic's are somewhat heavy.
Don't think they are much cheaper ?

Dan, very nice !! Did you ever consider the US made Fuchs style wheels?
I remember you where very exited when they were announced?
Old 02-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Courtesy of Otto Fuchs in Germany. Running on Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Joining me for a contrast in blues, a 60 year PCA Club Coupe...

Fog this morning! No snow to shovel in this town!
Congrats Dan! Looks awesome!

Those have been a long time coming and actually way overdue, as you were one of the first on the 997 Fuchs bandwagon. Glad you finally pulled the trigger!
Old 02-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

These Otto Fuchs (one piece forged out of Germany) are about 22 (F) and 23 (R) pounds. I think the Carrera Sport (XRR) wheels are 5 lbs heavier each on the rear--close on the fronts. Hard to say if the Michelin PSS vice Bridgestone RE050A will be noticeable in the driving.

I considered the USA Fuchs Racing style wheels but (1) they kept being late to the party, and (2) I was just not pleased with their emulating the trademark in name only. I have had Fuchs on all of my Porsches going back 40 years and have always liked the way they anodize aluminum. They have a very consistent look to them over the generations. While an Otto Fuchs KG wheel is a bit pricy, the product is a known quality.

I debated with myself whether to go with the black centers or the silver windmills, and decided to go with the subtle look. Perhaps in the future I may go for the real retro look by using them with the black paint entirely stripped off--all anodized aluminum. We saw that briefly in 196-66 when the Fuchs were first starting to make their appearance. Today, it appears that even Porsche is looking to the wheel area for a bit of flash, and an added styling element to the look of the car, rather than their tradition styling history of downplaying the wheels with simply black centers. I'll have to play with that one.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:30 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TT-911
Why no real (forged) ones? Those Sport Classic's are somewhat heavy.
Don't think they are much cheaper ?

Dan, very nice !! Did you ever consider the US made Fuchs style wheels?
I remember you where very exited when they were announced?
As far as I know, the OEM Sport Classics cost approx 3.5k and anything forged starts at least 2k more.

I'm also thinking of wrapping my car in Riviera Blue later down the road, so I rather spend those extra 2k towards that.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:49 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

These Otto Fuchs (one piece forged out of Germany) are about 22 (F) and 23 (R) pounds. I think the Carrera Sport (XRR) wheels are 5 lbs heavier each on the rear--close on the fronts. Hard to say if the Michelin PSS vice Bridgestone RE050A will be noticeable in the driving.

I considered the USA Fuchs Racing style wheels but (1) they kept being late to the party, and (2) I was just not pleased with their emulating the trademark in name only. I have had Fuchs on all of my Porsches going back 40 years and have always liked the way they anodize aluminum. They have a very consistent look to them over the generations. While an Otto Fuchs KG wheel is a bit pricy, the product is a known quality.

I debated with myself whether to go with the black centers or the silver windmills, and decided to go with the subtle look. Perhaps in the future I may go for the real retro look by using them with the black paint entirely stripped off--all anodized aluminum. We saw that briefly in 196-66 when the Fuchs were first starting to make their appearance. Today, it appears that even Porsche is looking to the wheel area for a bit of flash, and an added styling element to the look of the car, rather than their tradition styling history of downplaying the wheels with simply black centers. I'll have to play with that one.
The Otto Fuchs have that lineage look. Good point you can try another color on the center. Maybe I could try a grey center like shown on this Singer.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2016, 04:56 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

As far as I know, the OEM Sport Classics cost approx 3.5k and anything forged starts at least 2k more.

I'm also thinking of wrapping my car in Riviera Blue later down the road, so I rather spend those extra 2k towards that.
I priced Otto Fuchs at € 3,700 shipped on their wheel shop. € is about 1.13 to USD now. 1.05 not too long ago. Another Singer with the grey center.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2016, 05:13 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
I priced Otto Fuchs at € 3,700 shipped on their wheel shop. € is about 1.13 to USD now. 1.05 not too long ago. Another Singer with the grey center.
Original Fuchs at that price sounds very good. I guess more research is required on my side. Thx for the info!
Old 02-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Otto Fuchs_ Right now they are €999 for rears and €949 for each front. But you can immediately subtract the 19% Mehrvertsteur or VAT from the price and then do the exchange to US$. add some (modest) fee for UPS air shipment--2 days! All told, you are better off going through their own website than the USA dealer in California.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree. Go direct to Otto Fuchs DE. FYI- recently got a quote for 18" for my 993 from the USA guys and if I move forward on the 993, I will go direct to Fuchs as I did over two years ago for the 19" on my 997. You may remember that there was a nebulous 993 group buy that I and others believe was not a better deal than my and other individual direct purchase. Wired money to Fuchs and arrived in three days by UPS from Germany.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:24 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice wheels, Dan! They look great on your car.

TT-911 mentioned US Fuchs. Fuchs Performance was the brand. Dan knows the history. They are not related to Otto Fuchs. They are nice forged wheels however. A set came on my car, ordered by the previous owner to match the paint.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2016, 06:59 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Fuchs Performance is not the same as Fuchs USA who claim to be exclusive Fuchs, DE importer/distributor.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The guys at the Fuchs Performance (or Fuchs Racing) do a very good job, because it is a true one-piece forged wheel (which takes an incredible $$ investment in the equipment) but I decided just to go back to das Vaterland. Also, I didn't care much for their engraving "Fuchs" on the rims where you could see it from the outside.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:32 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Those wheels look great! Very good choice.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the OEM ones from the Sport Classic for my car in a couple of months. This thread is helping to solidify that decision.
Here is another Fuchs-style application...this on my 7.1 GT3... once again, not period correct, but I think the look is very sweet.

Today the Fuchs brand is in disarray with several vendors in the USA and elsewhere making their versions of it, these versions of varying cost and quality. The PAG Sport Classic rim sold on the special edition 997 Sport Classic is NOT a real Fuchs made wheel. It is also a cast wheel albeit a well made one. PAG somehow 'stole' the Fuchs design for this car. Dunno if they paid someone royalties to do so.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2016, 01:59 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Courtesy of Otto Fuchs in Germany. Running on Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Joining me for a contrast in blues, a 60 year PCA Club Coupe...

Fog this morning! No snow to shovel in this town!
Wow, looks fantastic!!!

Quick Reply: New Fuchs Rims