Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVOMSit Tuning now $895 ($995 for 09+ DFI)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile EVOMSit Tuning

EDIT - Sorry this promotion has expired.
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter

Last edited by Dan@SharkWerks; 04-23-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: expired promotion.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:10 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 902 Posts

Can anyone who has this speak to it?
Old 02-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

That's great. Would this affect passing emissions/smog tests in CA? Thinking about getting an intake and exhaust.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sawborg
That's great. Would this affect passing emissions/smog tests in CA? Thinking about getting an intake and exhaust.
What year is the car?

Unfortunately there are no CARB approved/verified software tunes or intakes that I'm aware of for 997 or 997.2 cars at this time (from any brand). There should be no issues passing smog, however by the visual inspection they would see there is no CARB compliant replacement for the intake on the car and the software is not CARB approved for California street use.

For the exhaust, a muffler replacement is legal for your car. However headers/cats are a problem as well.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
What year is the car?

Unfortunately there are no CARB approved/verified software tunes or intakes that I'm aware of for 997 or 997.2 cars at this time (from any brand). There should be no issues passing smog, however by the visual inspection they would see there is no CARB compliant replacement for the intake on the car and the software is not CARB approved for California street use.

For the exhaust, a muffler replacement is legal for your car. However headers/cats are a problem as well.
I have a 2009 997.2 PDK.

Thanks for the info! I guess no intake or software for me then.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:18 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
What year is the car?

Hey Dan, what would prevent the software from passing Smog here in California? I have the Evomsit tune on my car and passed my last inspection in 2014. I'm due for another test again so curious why it wouldn't pass.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 997driver
Hey Dan, what would prevent the software from passing Smog here in California? I have the Evomsit tune on my car and passed my last inspection in 2014. I'm due for another test again so curious why it wouldn't pass.
We just want to be upfront in terms of the laws here in California... The software itself doesn't prevent the car from passing emissions and the smog testing (it's ready and runs clean) however the laws are such that we cannot actually change anything other than a muffler in CA. So you'll be fine as before

Here's an old thread on our R&D on the DFI 997S from back in the day
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...s-ztadpol.html
Old 02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 902 Posts

In DE, there is no sniffer test for newer cars such as the 997. They simply hook it up and test for codes. Would this affect it in any way?

In addition, how can a canned tune optimize the performance. Wouldn't a tune on the dyno to your particular car and engine make the most sense? Still looking for reviews of actual customers who purchased this.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:14 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
In DE, there is no sniffer test for newer cars such as the 997. They simply hook it up and test for codes. Would this affect it in any way?

In addition, how can a canned tune optimize the performance. Wouldn't a tune on the dyno to your particular car and engine make the most sense? Still looking for reviews of actual customers who purchased this.
No it's the same test as in CA now (no sniffer) just needs to be OBDII ready.

The tunes we have are different based on the actual set up. Stock for example 9/93. Then the way tunes for cars with specific hardware CAI, throttle body etc... And/or exhausts If there's some type of hardware that hasn't been tuned for before and optimized around I would be surprised but we'd just say so and yes either custom tune it again on the dyno/street.

Here's some from a 997.1 with an EVOMS CAI for example:
Old 02-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaddMike
A "canned" tune can still improve the performance of stock tuned cars - if the car has similar / equal mods, an identical file will probably deliver 90% of the results. This is usually accomplished by a combination of timing and fuel mixture maps (for example the car might run a bit rich by design at 3000 RPMs and taking some fuel out will always give a little more power here). Porsche has to leave some of these things as they are for different markets, emissions and drivability, that others might not need and they can be tuned for HP instead.

The EVOMSit tunes are custom made for your car, using parameters requested though and your original file with the appropriate maps (mainly timing/fuel) / settings changed based on what you have on the car.

A dyno tune for your specific car might be best, assuming the same tuner that was otherwise going to be tuning your car, and especially if you have many of the engine parts changed to the car. But the difference might be 1-3 WHP (etc.) with similar mods and the cost might be double/triple or more, plus you might have less power and poor drivability in the end, since these files are built around street cars and 100s of users' feedback, our cars, and EVOMS's cars over the years. Just about any combination of common bolt-on parts has been dynoed and tuned by EVO since they started developing files in '07.

If you look at the date on the dyno posted, we've been flashing these specific cars for many years now.

To be honest, in the end it's not a huge amount of horsepower you're getting here. I think the biggest improvement is in drivability, throttle response and fun factor
Old 02-05-2016, 08:55 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
We just want to be upfront in terms of the laws here in California... The software itself doesn't prevent the car from passing emissions and the smog testing (it's ready and runs clean) however the laws are such that we cannot actually change anything other than a muffler in CA. So you'll be fine as before

Here's an old thread on our R&D on the DFI 997S from back in the day
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...s-ztadpol.html
Thanks Dan,

Just got back from my Smog testing and passed, however I have an unrelated P0430 pending code that might be due to my HJS 200 cell cats.

Regarding the tune, I passed with all Monitors in 'Ready' status and no active CEL's.

I've had this tune now since November of 2011 and for those wondering, like Dan said, the increase in power and torque is incremental, but it was the last piece of the puzzle for my car since it was done after all exhaust/intake mods were completed and this tune ties it all together nicely. The drivability is enhanced noticeably, especially when taking off from a dig. Before the tune the RPM would drop a little bit before taking off (which I was told was tuned in the factory ECU to prevent the commoner from spinning the tires and losing control) Now with the tune it just takes off and the RPM's climb instantaneously. The throttle was also enhanced and acceleration is also instantaneous where as before there was some lag from the pedal. The car definitely felt stronger when I took it out right after the tune and it just made the car more fun to drive. The price point that they have it at now is great, especially for this platform, and I would not hesitate to trust the guys at Sharkwerks and EVOMSit, these guys are pioneers in 997 tuning.
Name:  IMG_4188_zpsvqpnz4gj.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  209.0 KB
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 737 Posts

Any idea how or if CPO coverage is affected?
Old 02-06-2016, 04:13 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Any idea how or if CPO coverage is affected?
If you mess with the ECU, consider all electrical and drivetrain warranty coverage out the window.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:25 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Practically speaking, most dealers and service advisers seem to let the tune slide on naturally aspirated cars as it makes a fairly minor impact on reliability. It's a different story if you run something with a crazy high rev limit (we have track or race files available upon request that raise the limit as much as 400-600rpm depending on the application), or on boosted applications. That being said, there's always a risk that modifying the ECU could affect your warranty.

Our 'canned' tunes are successful because we do our diligence developing individual files for different hardware combinations. We for a well-established platform like the 997 (especially the .1s) we have a huge catalog of developed and sorted files covering things like bone stock cars, cars with our intake, cars with Fabspeed's intake, cars with the regular IPD plenum, cars with the IPD Competition plenum, cars with mufflers, cars with straight pipes, cars with high flow cats, cars with no cats, cars with x-pipes, cars with X51 headers, cars with equal length headers, and most combinations thereof. Each file exists because a car in that configuration has come across ours or one of our development partners' dynos at some point, and we've developed and tested a tune based on that car. If done properly, that tune can be installed with good success on any other identical model running the same hardware and reliably make the virtually the same power.

We did a car a couple weeks ago that I've wanted to see for a while. 997.1 C2S with full bolt-ons. It had a Fabspeed intake, IPD Competition Plenum+GT3 TB, Fabspeed Headers, Fabspeed Cats, and Fabspeed Mufflers. We did a 91 tune but the car was running a blend of 100oct, probably putting it effectively around 93-94oct. It picked up a consistent 7-8wtq down low and 8-10whp up top, but gained 10-18wtq in the midrange from around 4000-6000rpm. Not shown here, but driveability was improved through the pedal mapping (making the car more responsive in the bottom half of the powerband) and by dealing with the motion-sensing torque limiters. Overall the car woke up really nicely, and the customer was happy with the results after his drive home to Vegas.

BASELINE_EVOMSIT by sam stone, on Flickr

Quick Reply: EVOMSit Tuning now $895 ($995 for 09+ DFI)