Sponsored by:

2012 997.2 GTS vs C2S

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:05 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I think if you are considering a GTS then a 4S is likely cheaper. To me having a 4 or 4S is take it or leave it in the PNW. If your only car and you go up to the mountain, drive often, like the looks and appreciate the extra grip then great.

But tires on a 2WD will more than make up the difference.

Having a 997.2 does bring nice updates but its not too significant. Updated maps (still outdated now), available heated steering wheel, available cooled seats, fuel injected engine, LED exterior. While nice, I would not write off a 997.1.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2016, 01:57 AM
RohanThomas
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blakecam
You should be able to get a 4S for less than a GTS, especially if you look outside of the Seattle area (where everyone thinks they need AWD for the two snow days we get per year). If you don't care about the GTS extras and uniqueness, save yourself some money and go with a 2S, especially considering the number of miles you will put on the car.
Originally Posted by Kellen
I think if you are considering a GTS then a 4S is likely cheaper. To me having a 4 or 4S is take it or leave it in the PNW. If your only car and you go up to the mountain, drive often, like the looks and appreciate the extra grip then great.

But tires on a 2WD will more than make up the difference.

Having a 997.2 does bring nice updates but its not too significant. Updated maps (still outdated now), available heated steering wheel, available cooled seats, fuel injected engine, LED exterior. While nice, I would not write off a 997.1.

Good luck!
I have a AWD SUV for mountains.

What do u mean that gts tires will make up the diff?

Also, won't 997.1 have ims issue?
Old 01-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

In the $70k range and where you live from a weather standpoint, I think you should be looking at 997 Turbos, unless you just don't like forced induction. The turbos which are the lady of the Mezger engines will probably hold their values better than most others. Also, you can't do a value analysis going back 12 Yeats from today and compare a 4 year old car today 8 years from now. The reason is that going back 12 years from today lands you in the 996 series, which is the least popular 911 water cooled generation - slab sided bodies instead of the much more attractive Coke bottle shape of the 993, 997, and 991; combo fried egg front light assemblies instead of the separate headlight in fender with other lights in bumper setup that is much nicer; and the whole IMS issue.

Once 997.1 prices hit around $30k, I don't see them dropping much below that unless it's a car with Tiptronic transmission, as people who don't want manuals will buy PDKs, whereas 996 values will continue to fall.

Of your original choices, a 997.2 GTS is the better choice as it will be more rare. I'm not a fan of the 991 - it's really a completely different car with longer wheelbase, wider front track, electric steering, etc.

One other thing I'll mention it that it's been my experience that black interiors hold up much better looks-wise over the long haul and you're talking about possibly selling when the car is 12 years old. It's also much easier to find used black interior parts of you do need or want to replace something (seats, trim, etc).

Whatever you decide to get, I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:07 AM
RohanThomas
Track Day

Originally Posted by Petza914
In the $70k range and where you live from a weather standpoint, I think you should be looking at 997 Turbos, unless you just don't like forced induction. The turbos which are the lady of the Mezger engines will probably hold their values better than most others. Also, you can't do a value analysis going back 12 Yeats from today and compare a 4 year old car today 8 years from now. The reason is that going back 12 years from today lands you in the 996 series, which is the least popular 911 water cooled generation - slab sided bodies instead of the much more attractive Coke bottle shape of the 993, 997, and 991; combo fried egg front light assemblies instead of the separate headlight in fender with other lights in bumper setup that is much nicer; and the whole IMS issue.

Once 997.1 prices hit around $30k, I don't see them dropping much below that unless it's a car with Tiptronic transmission, as people who don't want manuals will buy PDKs, whereas 996 values will continue to fall.

Of your original choices, a 997.2 GTS is the better choice as it will be more rare. I'm not a fan of the 991 - it's really a completely different car with longer wheelbase, wider front track, electric steering, etc.

One other thing I'll mention it that it's been my experience that black interiors hold up much better looks-wise over the long haul and you're talking about possibly selling when the car is 12 years old. It's also much easier to find used black interior parts of you do need or want to replace something (seats, trim, etc).

Whatever you decide to get, I'm sure you'll love it.
Thanks Petza, the black i am looking at is with Alcantara on seats, shift and steering, but no leather on dashboard - is it a big miss if dashboard has no leather when i am trying to sell?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:22 AM
cpt_slow
Instructor

This might be the perfect car for you...Pricing is probably comparable with the price of the dollar right now.

https://oakville.porschedealer.com/c...29098/info.php

I would think the additional cost of the GTS would be offset long term with better depreciation vs the 4S?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:58 AM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cpt_slow
This might be the perfect car for you...Pricing is probably comparable with the price of the dollar right now.

I would think the additional cost of the GTS would be offset long term with better depreciation vs the 4S?
$69k US looks to be a fair deal for a CPO car.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

Originally Posted by RohanThomas
Thanks Petza, the black i am looking at is with Alcantara on seats, shift and steering, but no leather on dashboard - is it a big miss if dashboard has no leather when i am trying to sell?
The Full leather option (tops of door panels, dash, etc) makes for a much nicer cabin and a more enjoyable place to spend time than cars without it. Full leather does not mean everything is leather though - plenty of places that are still plastic so the more of it you can eliminate, the better off you are.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:57 AM
RohanThomas
Track Day

Originally Posted by cpt_slow

Sold this morning :-(
Old 01-15-2016, 12:53 PM
cpt_slow
Instructor

What are the chances! They've had that car for months!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:52 PM
Cysco
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The GTS is really nice, but you can get a 997.2 C2S/C4S for low 50's or even high $40's. Is the GTS worth $20k more than a nice 2009/2010 C2S/C4S? For primarily a daily driving car, which it sounds like OP is looking for, I'm not sure just how much of a difference the GTS is going to make. Visually, I think the GTS is damn sexy, but value wise at the moment, I don't see it being the best of long term purchases.

All the 997 cars (except for perhaps the Turbos) are going to get down to $30's at some point in the future. In 8 years from now a well cared for C4S might fetch $33k, is an equal quality GTS going to be worth $53k at that time? Most definitely not.

Knowing that they're all headed south price wise, my vote would be to buy the nicest C2S/C4S you can find for the lowest price you can get. Guaranteed you'll enjoy pretty much any 997 you buy so grab the best value you can.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:57 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RohanThomas
Also, won't 997.1 have ims issue?
Only 2005's and I believe early production date 2006's (someone will correct me here I'm certain).
Old 01-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Cysco
Racer

Originally Posted by zirrah
Only 2005's and I believe early production date 2006's (someone will correct me here I'm certain).
Pretty much any 997.1 car can have IMS issues. If you want a zero-chance of IMS issue car, you'll need to get a 997.2 car. (model year 2009+)
Old 01-15-2016, 08:04 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Cysco
Pretty much any 997.1 car can have IMS issues. If you want a zero-chance of IMS issue car, you'll need to get a 997.2 car. (model year 2009+)
oh man. Raby is going to have a field day with this one.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:11 PM
Cysco
Racer

Originally Posted by nwGTS
oh man. Raby is going to have a field day with this one.
I'm making no statement about the likelihood of an IMS failure. (I would never open that can of worms) Just simply saying that if you want 100% certainty that you'll never have an IMS issue, 997.2 cars are the way to go.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:24 PM
kanecs
Rennlist Member

I have a GTS that I tried selling before the new year to avoid having to pay personal property tax in 2016, and buy the extended warranty since the factory warranty was done at the beginning of January. I have now done both, and I was planning on keeping it for a while now and maybe adding a Sharkwerk's bypass and a Getty Ducktail... but selling it would allow me get something else on my long list of "cars to own before i die."

PM me if you want to chat on it.

2012 Carrera 4 GTS
White/Black
Manual
24k miles

Quick Reply: 2012 997.2 GTS vs C2S