Which Turbo and why

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:01 PM
jayd245
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Turbo and why

Hello All,

I am trying to narrow down my first 911 purchase and I have 2 options (although my wife is "almost" demanding the cab) which would you choose and why.

My 2 choices are the 2008 Turbo Cab with 16K miles and an asking of 76k. Its in amazing shape...I took this for a drive about a month ago when I started looking and was not sure if which type of 911 I wanted. Or a 2011 Turbo S with only a sunroof, similar miles and an asking price of 99k. I have not yet driven that one and don't want to unless my wife is on board...I dont want to drive anything that is not an option so I don't ever "miss" something.

The 76k is preferable for a purchase price but I would consider taking a loan out for the newer version if it was that much better/improved over the 2008, assuming I can convince the wife to spend that much and not get what she really wants... Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 205 Posts

Are you looking for a Manual or Automatic?
That would be a major factor as the 997.2 ('11) version would have PDK vs. the Tiptronic gearbox found on the 997.1 ('08) car.

In general, I would prefer the newer car but you have to weigh that with your marital bliss :-)

Perhaps look for a newer Cab.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:24 PM
jayd245
Track Day

I really dont mind driving either. I would probably prefer the manual because its so much fun to drive but I am not that picky, lol. My only "demand" is the turbo, I love how they look.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:57 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jayd245
Hello All,

I am trying to narrow down my first 911 purchase and I have 2 options (although my wife is "almost" demanding the cab) which would you choose and why.

My 2 choices are the 2008 Turbo Cab with 16K miles and an asking of 76k. Its in amazing shape...I took this for a drive about a month ago when I started looking and was not sure if which type of 911 I wanted. Or a 2011 Turbo S with only a sunroof, similar miles and an asking price of 99k. I have not yet driven that one and don't want to unless my wife is on board...I dont want to drive anything that is not an option so I don't ever "miss" something.

The 76k is preferable for a purchase price but I would consider taking a loan out for the newer version if it was that much better/improved over the 2008, assuming I can convince the wife to spend that much and not get what she really wants... Thoughts?
Also you'll have to decide if you want the Mezger engine (2008) or the DFI engine (2011). BTW, post in the turbo forum and you may get more responses.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:21 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

He's buying a Turbo because of the way it looks. He wants a cab because that's what his wife wants. He doesn't care if its PDK or Tip. Or manual. He's just not that picky. Just thought I would reiterate his priorities in light of the Mezger/DFI question.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Neos281
Track Day

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Also you'll have to decide if you want the Mezger engine (2008) or the DFI engine (2011).
^^THIS^^

The sweet spot is the 2009 Turbo models as you still have the Mezger engine with the 997.2 interior updates (but that doesn't matter much to me).

Based on the information you provided I would probably go with the 2011 Turbo S because of the 997.2 updates including interior, wheels, rear LED's and PDK tranny. Is the 2008 cab equipped with a manual tranny?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:55 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Neos281
^^THIS^^

The sweet spot is the 2009 Turbo models as you still have the Mezger engine with the 997.2 interior updates (but that doesn't matter much to me).

Based on the information you provided I would probably go with the 2011 Turbo S because of the 997.2 updates including interior, wheels, rear LED's and PDK tranny. Is the 2008 cab equipped with a manual tranny?

The OP probably could care less about a Mezger designed engine. If you are buying for looks buy the newest you can afford. In this case, get the Turbo S. It's a Turbo S with the latest in gadgetry and cosmetic updates in the 997.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 976 Posts

I think it is more of a cab vs. coupe discussion first. These are two different animals.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No brainer: The newer coupe.

Or, when you get your ***** back from your wife: The newer coupe, because you said so, not because some guys on a board pretended like you have an opinion.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:24 PM
jayd245
Track Day

Thanks to those that have replied. I did move it over to the turbo area as well. The 08 is not a manual. It does appear the 09 would be a great option if it were around. I like the idea of buying something newer as well but I am not stupid enough to spend 100k without the wife being on board, we are in our 20th year of marriage, I would like to see 21 as well.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,760 Likes on 4,301 Posts

Tip would be a deal breaker for me. Get the S with PDK or find an older 6-speed, providing your wife can drive a stick and won't destroy the transmission of burn up your clutch.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I would lean towards a coupe because I think the 911 lines are more beautiful in coupe form. I also vote for manual tranny because its more fun and therapeutic for me. And I'll add to the group that likes the 09, last year of Metzger engine + updated 997.2 interior = winner!
Old 12-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Motams
Advanced

Interesting debate had a similar one with my Boss. She intially was all about a convertible but I was successful at converting her.

Cons for Convertible (That do not apply to a coupe)

1. Tops are stuffed in the rear too tight and cause abrasions on the canvas top when riding with the top down due to bumps in the road. When you get up close you can really see it and for a car over $50k its very disappointing (Makes the car feel more used than it is). As reference our R129 soft top SL Mercedes is 20 years old and doesnt shown any similar marks on the top with 40,000 miles.
2. There are more moving parts in a convertible and more things to break and go wrong.
3. Convertible is slower and the handling is not as "scalpel" like compared to the coupe from the various test drives I have taken.
4. Resale value on a convertible is not as good as a coupe. In fact it seems based on what I have read (Manual Coupes) are some of the highest demanded 911s especially in 997.2 trim levels.
5. Have to transport 2 sets of golf clubs with the top down (They fit in back of a coupe, with the rear seats folded down)

On a side note, I would highly suggest a Manual Turbo. Since Porsche no longer makes Turbos in Manual spec they will easily become collectible in the not to distant future, not that it matters for you necessarily, but its food for thought.

These are my opinions/suggestions as I went through a similar process a couple months ago and went with a C4S.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by Motams
Interesting debate had a similar one with my Boss. She intially was all about a convertible but I was successful at converting her.

Cons for Convertible (That do not apply to a coupe)

1. Tops are stuffed in the rear too tight and cause abrasions on the canvas top when riding with the top down due to bumps in the road. When you get up close you can really see it and for a car over $50k its very disappointing (Makes the car feel more used than it is). As reference our R129 soft top SL Mercedes is 20 years old and doesnt shown any similar marks on the top with 40,000 miles.
2. There are more moving parts in a convertible and more things to break and go wrong.
3. Convertible is slower and the handling is not as "scalpel" like compared to the coupe from the various test drives I have taken.
4. Resale value on a convertible is not as good as a coupe. In fact it seems based on what I have read (Manual Coupes) are some of the highest demanded 911s especially in 997.2 trim levels.
5. Have to transport 2 sets of golf clubs with the top down (They fit in back of a coupe, with the rear seats folded down)

On a side note, I would highly suggest a Manual Turbo. Since Porsche no longer makes Turbos in Manual spec they will easily become collectible in the not to distant future, not that it matters for you necessarily, but its food for thought.

These are my opinions/suggestions as I went through a similar process a couple months ago and went with a C4S.
All those things are forgotten when you're driving on a twisty road with the top down, listening to the wonderful sounds of the flat six!

Cabriolets are not as convenient as coupes, that's for sure. For many people, the open air experience is worth the inconvenience.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Motams
Advanced

It's a fair point regarding the sound, especially the NA Flat 6.

Also another piece of advice don't buy a PDK without extended warranty. (Only because they can't be fixed if they break, it requires a swap of the entire transmission at a cost of $15-$18k)

Quick Reply: Which Turbo and why