Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Cover Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015 | 01:56 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Default Car Cover Suggestions

Looking for an outdoor car cover for my 2009 C2, any suggestions?
Old 12-08-2015 | 02:06 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Depends so much on use. Days in sun very different than overnight in rain. Also is it protecting a concours queen occasionally or daily driver on a regular basis. Will the cover be stored in the car or garage? Will one cover do it or a soft one over the car and a water or uv proof one over that? Will the car always be clean before covering? It better be, or the cover will scratch. Lot of details to consider before you are even ready to start looking.
Old 12-08-2015 | 07:11 PM
140.6er
Pro

Last winter, before I sold both of my M3s for my 997.2, I kept one outside all winter covered by a WeatherShield HP cover. I ordered the gusseted version with tie down strings. It worked very well. However, make sure that the car is washed and waxed before you put the cover on. Also, make sure you have the tie downs to prevent the wind from blowing the cover around and scratching your whip. Finally, make sure you immediately clean snow and ice off cover so it doesn't attach to paint. By the way, my cover is for sale if your interested. I have no use for it as my 997.2 is in the garage.
Old 12-08-2015 | 07:25 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Just what I'm talking about. Gusseted tie downs are essential in your case, worse than useless (scratches) if used overnight in mild weather. More important than the cover is knowing how to use it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2015 | 07:36 PM
140.6er
Pro

Yes, I also used bungie cords under the car to make sure cover was tight. Wind is you biggest enemy. I applied a hard sealant before I covered my car and I still had some very very minor surface scratches. All the scratches easily buffed out.
Old 12-08-2015 | 08:01 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Covercraft has a great chart for different applications, based on what you desire.

http://www.covercraft.com/carcovers/...r_fabrics.html

T
Old 12-08-2015 | 08:21 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Looking for an outdoor car cover for my 2009 C2, any suggestions?
I use the Porsche OEM cover that came with my car. After a year of use, I noticed small rub marks on the top and along the body leading to the headlights. My solution was to cover the car in a soft flannel cover and then put the OEM on top of that. Works great.
Old 12-08-2015 | 09:27 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Ok ill jump in. Outdoor cover for overnight useage, what is rain? (Southern California). I see a couple of official Porsche covers on Ebay on the cheap...$250. I have a custom California Car cover on my Range Rover, works good but its bulky. I want a cover thats soft on the bottom, repels rain and UV light. Oh and semi compact to fit in the Frunk. Recommendations?
Old 12-09-2015 | 08:10 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Originally Posted by dasams
I use the Porsche OEM cover that came with my car. After a year of use, I noticed small rub marks on the top and along the body leading to the headlights. My solution was to cover the car in a soft flannel cover and then put the OEM on top of that. Works great.
Yes exactly ... where can I get a soft flannel (washable) cover?
Old 12-09-2015 | 09:02 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Flannel car cover. http://www.covercraft.com/cartlink/i...t&prod_id=ccfl

Actually a pretty good example of what NOT to get. The one above, I mean. Supposed to be custom fit, but fits awful. A good 911 cover should fit, not snug, but even. There should be mirror pockets, and they should line up properly. A lot of companies make them symmetrical, not realizing the mirrors are located differently left to right. So the cover pulls. Scratches. Never buy a cover without checking a photo of it on YOUR 911 model- or with 100% return guarantee. My Griot's for example, otherwise excellent, had to be returned (and they replaced it) for this reason.

Another thing, watch for instructions and labeling. The cover should be labeled so you know which way its going to unfold when placed on the car. From there it is essential to follow the correct unfolding/folding procedure in order to minimize scratching.

If the car will be out a while, especially in wind or rain, then its a great idea to use a few strategically placed microfiber towels. Every cover I have seen has seams, and they always seem to go over high stress areas like fenders. A few towels in these areas prevents a lot of scratching.

All car covers are washable. You just need a big enough machine, and it must be a front loader. To dry, sorry to say but air drying on the car is the best way of retaining a good fit. If the proper procedure is followed however then it hardly matters, as the dirty outside will never touch the clean inside, let alone the car.
Old 12-09-2015 | 09:44 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Thanks Chuck, that solves my immediate need, which is indoor parking garage so now I need to protect against potential falling debris. My outdoor cover is rugged enough to handle any heavy debris, but I needed a washable layer beneath it, because now my Carrera is a daily driver, ergo can't always clean its paintwork.
Old 12-09-2015 | 10:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The OEM indoor Porsche cover is very good. Stretchy so it fits tight and soft on the underside for no scratches when put onto a clean car. I have one for my RUF car that I use occasionally and actually bought the Turbo version to accommodate the RUF bodywork. Porsche also makes an outdoor version that is shiny silver. I don't have any direct experience with it but imagine it's pretty good when used with a soft under cover. JohnnyDB has an outdoor c2s version currently for sale in The Marketplace for $175.
Old 12-10-2015 | 01:26 AM
granprixweiss928
Three Wheelin'

For indoor I like the stretch satin from Coverking. It fits snug and looks great. Good for dust protection. not to great for impact protection tho, if you have a full garage....

I choose a Coverking Coverbond 4 for my 997, over the black friday weekend, for good indoor protection and for light outdoor protection (overnight dew, etc)
Old 12-10-2015 | 02:21 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by phil996cab99
Thanks Chuck, that solves my immediate need, which is indoor parking garage so now I need to protect against potential falling debris. My outdoor cover is rugged enough to handle any heavy debris, but I needed a washable layer beneath it, because now my Carrera is a daily driver, ergo can't always clean its paintwork.
In that situation I would skip the flannel cover and go with the outdoor cover with several towels underneath. That's because I am assuming most of your potential damage will be from people who think the cover means its okay to set groceries and boxes on your car, brush up against your car, bang their doors into it. (His cover saves the edge of my door getting chipped when I ding into him, what a nice guy!) In all those cases a bunch of folded towels will protect better, cost less, take up less space, be a lot more washable, and be at least as easy to deploy as another cover.
Old 12-10-2015 | 05:42 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phil996cab99
Yes exactly ... where can I get a soft flannel (washable) cover?
Porsche OEM indoor that occasionally shows up in the marketplace.

Quick Reply: Car Cover Suggestions