Sponsored by:

perfect puncture

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 02:11 AM
imsfails
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perfect puncture

Isn't this awesome! What is more awesome is that Michelin PSS 295/30ZR19 is back ordered on tirerack and everywhere else I tried. So now I can't drive this car until the end of this year. I am thinking of getting a used matching tire on ebay. Has anyone done that?

Old 12-08-2015, 02:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by imsfails
Isn't this awesome! What is more awesome is that Michelin PSS 295/30ZR19 is back ordered on tirerack and everywhere else I tried. So now I can't drive this car until the end of this year. I am thinking of getting a used matching tire on ebay. Has anyone done that?

Bummer. Looks like a pretty fresh tire. To answer your question, I've bought two tires on Ebay to get me by in similar situations to yours. No problems as long as you do your diligence on feedback and the description of the tire. Both had almost center punctures that had been patched which was disclosed. Paid around $150 as I recall it for 65% thread remaining. Both were 305 rears.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:31 AM
bah212
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For my non-P car I've used Ebay a few times to replace a tire damaged by pothole impact when the other 3 tires have lots of service left on them.
In my experience the good Ebay, sellers will list; the DOT date code, whether or not the tire has been patched, as well as the tread depth remaining so you can come close to matching your other tires on the car.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:19 AM
imsfails
Intermediate

I bought these last year. Looks like tire rack has 2 yr free road hazard coverage where they replace non repairable tires like this. But the coverage applies to tires sold after sep 28 2014. Of course I bought it 3 days before that!

Good to know eBay is sound alternative.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:33 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

That is a SOB nail.
I have bought 3 sets of used tires from various sources.
All in all, I've been pretty happy. Some have had patches, that were disclosed up front.
My one tire issue, was a sidewall bubble. While it did not effect the ride, it was there.
I could not see it until the tire was inflated on the rim. Do inspect the sidewall in good light.
I had put the used tires aside and too much time had passed from purchase.
Check the date. Then do your best to burn through them.
Experienced tires are fun.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

If you really think you are just a few weeks out from getting a new one AND you are going to be around town for that time, just plug it yourself with a cheap kit from FLAPS or Walmart. But, if lead-time is longer or you need to travel, go the temporary tire route.

I was out of town recently in rural (I mean really rural) SC when I got a nail in a similar place and a replacement tire was 48 hours away. So I took a chance, plugged it myself, and drove home 375 miles. YMMV
Old 12-08-2015, 06:17 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

That's what I was going to say: plug it. It will last WAAAAY longer than you will need.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:00 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by imsfails
I bought these last year. Looks like tire rack has 2 yr free road hazard coverage where they replace non repairable tires like this. But the coverage applies to tires sold after sep 28 2014. Of course I bought it 3 days before that!

Good to know eBay is sound alternative.
Man, if I were you I would get in touch with tire rack and play the 'only 3 days out of the warranty window and it's almost Christmas as well' ....what have you got Toulouse ....?
Old 12-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Idk but from the photo it looks like it's just barely inside the thick part of the tread and not in the sidewall, so couldn't it be plugged or patched? What does the tire store think? Maybe you wouldn't want to track the car or run it at high speed just to be safe, but maybe it would be ok in the interim till you can get a new tire?
Old 12-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Idk but from the photo it looks like it's just barely inside the thick part of the tread and not in the sidewall, so couldn't it be plugged or patched? What does the tire store think? Maybe you wouldn't want to track the car or run it at high speed just to be safe, but maybe it would be ok in the interim till you can get a new tire?
As you can tell its on the edge where the tire gets scuffed in turns... thats the part that flexes a lot and gets lots of distortion around turns... not a reliable place to patch I'd think.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:52 AM
imsfails
Intermediate

I went to a tire shop earlier and the guy strongly recommended against patching it even temporarily. He said it is better to fill up air and drive (slowly) to home or shop. After patching, the hole would be bigger and it is likely to loose air quickly if the patch fails. This wasn't a fancy shop where they don't do anything less than perfect, so he really did believe what he said.

I thought about going back but decided to not create bigger problems than what I already have.

Quick Reply: perfect puncture