Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 - Mod/Accessory Poll -- What to do...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:07 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 997 - Mod/Accessory Poll -- What to do...?

Just looking for an informal view of my fellow 997 owners...
So I bought my car in August ('10 C4S Cab, ~17.5k miles (now), 6MT very 'loaded' full leather, nav, sport chrono, heated seats, dynamic lights, turbo wheels). It's about to hibernate and I'm going to start saving some pennies to maybe do a few things... At the moment, I can't do much with it (other than drive and enjoy!), but I'm wondering what people think are the priority mods and what you would do in what order where you are not the "money is no object" type. I've given my own views on some of the issues, but just looking for other people's opinions, pros/cons...

1. Clear side markers - DONE

2. Good cover (indoor parked) - DONE

3. Battery tender for winter - DONE

4. Wheel spacers - Purchased, not installed yet

5. Lowering the car...?? (This is a fairweather, weekend car. No track.)

6. Clear-bra/xpel etc. (Black car, very clean, but a few tiny hood chips you would expect to see on a 2010. *Very* tiny though. I have to find them, not very obvious.)

7. Aftermarket exhaust? (Not a PSE car, but frankly, sounds great as is...)

8. Winter wheel/tire? (Nasty, icy, slushy, salty, pot-holey winters here so had planned on putting it away...)

9. Short shift kit...? (Had on my Cayman, but really don't see it as strictly necessary...)

10. Installed laser/radar "handling" devices? (I haven't used them in *years*, but...?)

11. Enhanced front lip? (I've seen some recent threads about possible new products for this... Looks good but not too keen on drilling into my bumper.)

12. Painted center console? (Got one for my Cayman years ago from Eric at BumperPlugs -- nice, but again, not terribly necessary)

13. Any other common motor/engine mapping mods (what do you do to a NA 997.2 -- I haven't researched)...

EDIT: Adding 14. Replace steering wheel with multi-function wheel and/or thicker wheel (aftermarket leather/Alcantara wrap)

What am I missing...? This list is already in excess of $10k [$15k?] for sure, which is simply not in the budget.

My preference would be to keep the car more stock than not... "For my money", I would prioritize 4, 5, 6, and 7, but not necessarily in that order.

Tell me where I'm wrong or not thinking of something... Or what you did and found very useful or pretty useless?

Cheers.

Last edited by jsalah; 12-10-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:17 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

It all depends on your priorities, how you'll be using the car, how long you'll keep it. Basically, if you love it, know it will bring you more happiness than the numbers sitting on a ledger, then get it. Especially if, like King Richard, "I'll have her, but I'll not keep her long." If she's a keeper though, if 20 years from now matters, its even easier: do nothing. Originality rules.

Follow these simple rules and, either way, its hard to see how you can lose.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:10 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuck911
It all depends on your priorities, how you'll be using the car, how long you'll keep it. Basically, if you love it, know it will bring you more happiness than the numbers sitting on a ledger, then get it. Especially if, like King Richard, "I'll have her, but I'll not keep her long." If she's a keeper though, if 20 years from now matters, its even easier: do nothing. Originality rules.

Follow these simple rules and, either way, its hard to see how you can lose.
Absolutely... No argument there. Thing is, I have often said "I'll never sell her!" (thankfully, only about cars), but I've ultimately sold them all... I can certainly imagine keeping this one... What a car.... I see the guys with the old air-cooled ones today, and skyrocketing values aside (which I'm not sure our 997s are likely to emulate - but that's for another thread), there is something undeniably cool about driving a "vintage" Porsche, and eventually, everything becomes vintage...

I'm rambling...
Old 12-09-2015, 06:21 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

What about attending a local DE event? A good instructor is better then any "engine mapping". Learn to be a smooth, predictable, and overall better driver. Just a thought.

------------
05' 997.1 C2S 6MT
Old 12-09-2015, 06:25 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kisik
What about attending a local DE event? A good instructor is better then any "engine mapping". Learn to be a smooth, predictable, and overall better driver. Just a thought.
No doubt! Though I'm not sure why you assume I need to learn to be a better driver...? Maybe I'm reading into your reply more than I should, but I'm not sure what you know about my driving abilities...? No big deal, just puzzled at the [seemingly] presumptive response... If I've misread you, sorry, my bad. (And BTW I've been to a few of those, and raced a few cars in my younger days... Not my first rodeo around a high powered automobile, though I certainly don't hold myself out as a "pro" of any kind, and all that said, I'm always learning and without question can always use more practice!)
Old 12-09-2015, 11:54 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

4,5 6,7 is bang on. You will not regret. And 9 is not far behind IMO.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:08 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
4,5 6,7 is bang on. You will not regret. And 9 is not far behind IMO.
+1. Only thing I would add is a customized steering wheel. Built on stock core, it's thicker and has better quality leather. Great mod. In your hands and in your face every time you get in the car
Old 12-10-2015, 02:08 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sandwedge
+1. Only thing I would add is a customized steering wheel. Built on stock core, it's thicker and has better quality leather. Great mod. In your hands and in your face every time you get in the car
Yes -- Should've added that to the list! I think I might have asked you about that on another thread you posted and/or responded to...
Old 12-10-2015, 02:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by jsalah
Yes -- Should've added that to the list! I think I might have asked you about that on another thread you posted and/or responded to...
That's how strongly I feel about it

Quick Reply: 997 - Mod/Accessory Poll -- What to do...?