2011 997.2 GTS Engine pronounced ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:44 PM
balazskontes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 997.2 GTS Engine pronounced ticking noise

Gents and Ladies,
I'm considering buying a 2011 997.2 GTS with 18k. It all checks out, except for the regular/rhythmic pronounced/significant ticking noise that is clearly heard at idle. Once you rev it, the ticking noise becomes less apparent, but it definitely comes back once the car is back at idle. The car is CPO, and if need be, I can ask the dealer to fix it if it's a major issue.
I tried other 3.8l Porsches at the dealership and none of them make this ticking sound, at least not this pronounced.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Please see 2 videos on Youtube that I have posted where one can hear this pronounced noise.

I love the car, and if possible, I would like to determine what is the problem. Then, if fixable and no internal damages have been done, ask the dealer to fix the problem before buying it.

Appreciate your help!

Last edited by balazskontes; 12-01-2015 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-01-2015, 12:16 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

My 2009 C2S w/93k miles does this when cold. It sounds a bit like a gas stove igniting. I call it charm.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-01-2015, 12:24 AM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ticking noise when cold

I have to say my 2010 S does not have this ticking noise. I will listen again, but do not recall. Will post correction in several days when I drive it again. 37k miles.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:27 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts

i don't know if i would call that charm, to me that does not sound normal and would make sure you know exactly what is going on before considering purchasing. Good luck
Old 12-01-2015, 12:31 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by balazskontes
Gents and Ladies,
I'm considering buying a 2011 997.2 GTS with 18k. It all checks out, except for the pronounced/significant ticking noise that is clearly heard at idle. Once you rev it, the ticking noise becomes less apparent, but it definitely comes back once the car is back at idle. The car is CPO, and if need be, I can ask the dealer to fix it if it's a major issue.
I tried other 3.8l Porsches at the dealership and none of them make this ticking sound, at least not this pronounced.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

The DFI engines do have a ticking noise at idle and its intensity/loudness/perception varies upon how close the car is from sound reflecting surfaces nearby. The car you showed is so close to another car that that sound will be enhanced.

BTW… I would not free rev an engine like you did…
Old 12-01-2015, 12:37 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

That ticking could be a lot of different things. There was a thread 2.5 years ago on engine ticking but the noise was a bit more subtle than in your audio clips. Anyway, the thread link is attached. I don't have any idea if this is your problem but at least if you go to the dealer you can ask them if it might be the EVAP Purge Solenoid (the good news is that this is easy to fix, the bad news is that I think you have to drop the engine to get to it). Good luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ticking-2.html
Old 12-01-2015, 12:45 AM
Neos281
Track Day

Op - See the below comments from another "ticking" thread. Not sure if its related but it seems to make the most sense seeing as how the ticking goes away after revving.

Originally Posted by LewisB
My 2012 GTS ticks as well. It seems normal to me. I asked the service folks at Stead Porsche Walnut Creek to check it out when I was buy to "visit" for a new tire and they said it was expected, present in all the 2012 997's, and some of the 991's as well.
Originally Posted by Mumbles
So.... I was told by the head mechanic that he knew exactly what it is. It has to do with air that is allowed into the exhaust ( CO2 sensors ? ) enabling to burn off excess fuel. ( Located at the top of engine, left side thckened black tube ? )
This is why it only happens some of the time, and not all of the time. Perfectly normal operation.

Correct technical term...EVAP PURGE SOLENOID

Neil
Old 12-01-2015, 12:48 AM
Neos281
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
it might be the EVAP Purge Solenoid (the good news is that this is easy to fix, the bad news is that I think you have to drop the engine to get to it). Good luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ticking-2.html
I'm thinking the same - dealership should be able to diagnose and fix before purchase.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Mine sounds the same when cold and cranked in the garage. My -09 C4S did the same thing and also burned a quart of oil every 1,500 miles. Normal according to my SA. The GTS burns no oil at all and runs like a champ so I doubt you have anything to worry about. Especially not with a CPO car. Btw... were the other 3.8 997's you listened to .1 or .2 cars?
The following users liked this post:
GTSpure (06-29-2020)
Old 12-01-2015, 12:59 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

RUN AWAY.

I had a very similar noise in my 997.2S. Here's the thread:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...can-t-fix.html

The solution was this:
They never could figure out where the ticking noise was coming from, so the entire engine was replaced.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:11 AM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
RUN AWAY.

I had a very similar noise in my 997.2S. Here's the thread:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...can-t-fix.html

The solution was this:
They never could figure out where the ticking noise was coming from, so the entire engine was replaced.
Wow... my GTS has this exact sound while idling. Kind of sounds like the "clicking" of the exhaust parts settling after you turn off most cars but it does it constantly while idling. I've had the dealership look at it and they've said it's normal so I haven't given it much thought since then. Engine seems to be healthy, though... burns no oil, pulls strong.

To the OP, that sound seems like it's rhythmic instead of random like the noise that I have.
The following users liked this post:
GTSpure (06-29-2020)
Old 12-01-2015, 02:56 AM
balazskontes
Intermediate

Thank you all for your feedback! It's definitely rhythmic vs. random ticking, and more metal-to-metal contact than compressed gas or anything of that nature. My first thought was that it would be oil pressure (oil pump) related, sticky valve or valve (s) that are not well synchronized, or worst case, an internally scratched cylinder wall or head.

If there are more feedback, pls keep it coming; really appreciate it! I'll be taking the car out for a spin on Friday/Saturday, so I'll let it warm up properly and see if the noise goes away.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:06 AM
balazskontes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ADias
The DFI engines do have a ticking noise at idle and its intensity/loudness/perception varies upon how close the car is from sound reflecting surfaces nearby. The car you showed is so close to another car that that sound will be enhanced.

BTW… I would not free rev an engine like you did…
Can you please clarify as to why it's not recommended? Is it because these engines need more time to warm up? or they need to be in a gear in order to do that? Just trying to better understand these engines and how to treat them well.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:14 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by balazskontes
Can you please clarify as to why it's not recommended? Is it because these engines need more time to warm up? or they need to be in a gear in order to do that? Just trying to better understand these engines and how to treat them well.
Oil temp is an issue certainly, but off-load revving is not good as modern engines have on-demand oiling and so on.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:15 AM
balazskontes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ADias
Oil temp is an issue certainly, but off-load revving is not good as modern engines have on-demand oiling and so on.
Thank you... clear!

Quick Reply: 2011 997.2 GTS Engine pronounced ticking noise