Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 997.2 GTS Engine pronounced ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:43 AM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like cylinder heads to me. Perhaps they have lower grade fuel on the car as it is at the dealership?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:17 AM
997GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this post last night so this AM (outside temp in the 40s) I started the car to see if my 2011 GTS does the same. It did make a clicking noise but not as loud as OPs video clips. Once I got to work (20 mins / 12 miles drive), the sound is gone. I am guessing it's b/c of the cold weather/engine. Also, the car has been sitting in the garage for almost a week.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:31 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its normal. My 2010 997.2 has done the same since new. I asked the Chief mech at my dealer before delivery and he confirmed normal. Read once that a little heavier oil would solve it. Had the car serviced there for 5 yrs and they always used the 0w40 weight. But recently had the oil replaced at independent shop and they recommended 5w40 Total (So California). The ticking noise is gone. Apparently the lower viscosity number of the total, 5w is thicker than the 0w for the cold operating range, and helps keep the valves quieter, per the mechanic. Its a recommended oil viscosity by Porsche, so no problem there either.
best
Old 12-01-2015, 11:55 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm with you, normal valve train noise. Not normal in the sense they all do it (although, to a greater or lesser extent they do) but in the sense its not abnormal, i.e., indicative of imminent massive repair bills.

Although, as per above, if you want to persistently chase down every imperfection to the point of engine replacement, then it can be.

I would set aside any fears of repairs and simply ask myself the obvious question: can I live with and enjoy this car even if its always going to sound like this? Because don't be surprised if it does.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:55 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,546 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I'm with you, normal valve train noise. Not normal in the sense they all do it (although, to a greater or lesser extent they do) but in the sense its not abnormal, i.e., indicative of imminent massive repair bills.

Although, as per above, if you want to persistently chase down every imperfection to the point of engine replacement, then it can be.

I would set aside any fears of repairs and simply ask myself the obvious question: can I live with and enjoy this car even if its always going to sound like this? Because don't be surprised if it does.
It may not be valve train noise... but that weird valve. The ticking in my engine does not sound like metal on metal, it sounds literally, a bit louder than a gas stove ignition system. It is in perfect time. It sounds like a hard electrical spark and it comes from the top of the driver side in the engine bay. It sounds different from inside the car than out.... if you pop the lid and stand there... you would swear it is an outdoor gas stove firing.

I don't like it, but I've had it for maybe 60K of the 93K now on my 2009 C2S. I am not worried.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 12-03-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My GTS makes the exact same noise, going by consensus it seems to be normal.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Classic failing cylinder tone, and rhythm in the idle speed video.

Was this car driven in the NJ winter earlier this year?
Old 05-05-2016, 11:31 AM
balazskontes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Classic failing cylinder tone, and rhythm in the idle speed video. Was this car driven in the NJ winter earlier this year?
not sure if it was driven. It was selling as CPO by Manhattan Porsche dealer in Dec. 15. I asked them if I could take it to my independent shop for a PPI and they said only if I got a trailer... No driving on the roads!

Even with the CPO, I knew that something was stinking in the State of Denmark, so I didn't buy it. But someone sure did, as the car is no longer available.

Instead, I bought a new Panamera GTS; the last NA V8 true Porsche engine. I just have a feeling that Porsche will switch to all bi-turbo engines in this lineup as well, but worst of all, it will be all Audi-borrowed engines tuned to sound somewhat like Porsches. If you ask, I'm not impressed with the V6s in the Cayenne GTS, so are a lot of other people as well.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:46 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Classic failing cylinder tone, and rhythm in the idle speed video.
Interesting you say this because I have the exact same tick if it's below 40 while the car first idles and it isn't as pronounced if it is warm outside. Goes away after the oil is warmed up. Took it to a dealer after my first week with the car and they told me this EXACT same thing:

Originally Posted by Neos281
Op - See the below comments from another "ticking" thread. Not sure if its related but it seems to make the most sense seeing as how the ticking goes away after revving: Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
So.... I was told by the head mechanic that he knew exactly what it is. It has to do with air that is allowed into the exhaust ( CO2 sensors ? ) enabling to burn off excess fuel. ( Located at the top of engine, left side thckened black tube ? )
This is why it only happens some of the time, and not all of the time. Perfectly normal operation.

Correct technical term...EVAP PURGE SOLENOID

Neil
I also mentioned the noise to my track prep indy and he said the EXACT same thing unprompted.... EVAP Purge Solenoid
Old 05-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Interesting you say this because I have the exact same tick if it's below 40 while the car first idles and it isn't as pronounced if it is warm outside. Goes away after the oil is warmed up. Took it to a dealer after my first week with the car and they told me this EXACT same thing:

I also mentioned the noise to my track prep indy and he said the EXACT same thing unprompted.... EVAP Purge Solenoid
Same - I normally won't take the car out if there is salt on the ground, I don't have an exact temp range but it is only noticeable when it's cold, once the car warms up it goes away.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Very easy to tell. If the ticking follows the rev (slight rev, not to 5k), it's NOT that evap purge valve, which is controlled by a PWM signal from the DME and it's not engine rev dependent. In general, the evap purge valve ticks much faster than the valve train type ticking.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I've never heard an eval purge valve with that rhythm and tone. As Ahsai mentions, I have also not heard one that was RPM variable.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

My 2011 GTS (purchased last month with 26k miles) does not make that noise on cold startup.

I would have it sorted before getting the car.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:27 PM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car make that noise (38.5K miles). I'm not happy with that sound, but apparently is something normal...

Quick Reply: 2011 997.2 GTS Engine pronounced ticking noise