Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 02:41 AM
rmstar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oofie810
Yeah it does unfortunately but Autocheck says no airbags were deployed.

Can you get the detail repair report that would show what's exactly the shop done to it? If not, ask the PPI to look for sign of structure frame repaired and if others parts were repaired or replaced. If most of them were replaced, then you've hit the jackpot!
Page 89 on this brochure will tell you what parts to look for are1, 2 and 3.
https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/b...e/2011-911.pdf
Good luck.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:54 AM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rmstar
Can you get the detail repair report that would show what's exactly the shop done to it? If not, ask the PPI to look for sign of structure frame repaired and if others parts were repaired or replaced. If most of them were replaced, then you've hit the jackpot!
Page 89 on this brochure will tell you what parts to look for are1, 2 and 3.
https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/b...e/2011-911.pdf
Good luck.
I did ask the guy I'm working with and he said that unless the previous owner gives them that info, they can't say for sure what happened with the car. He also said that they (Carmax) will not sell anything that had frame damage. If they get a car with frame damage, it goes to auction/wholesale - not sure if this is true though.

I think I will have to take the risk, buy it, get a PPI and either keep the car or return it depending on the PPI report. I will make sure that the shop that will do the PPI look closely at the frame/front-end of the car.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:10 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Wait, what? You paid for a transfer WITHOUT getting a DME Report? What if it has a stage 3 overrev? The engine could blow up on you TOMORROW! I wouldn't touch it with a 100-foot pole!
It has a PDK. I'm not sure you can over rev a PDK. I was led to believe it will shift automatically at the redline in manual and won't downshift if it would put it above the redline.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:50 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
It has a PDK. I'm not sure you can over rev a PDK. I was led to believe it will shift automatically at the redline in manual and won't downshift if it would put it above the redline.
Correct. I was mocking some of the less educated and more excitable posters that are active both here and on BAT.

Overrevs are a bit of a canard. How many overrev events have resulted in a documented latent engine detonation? It is likely more along the lines of the typical RL queries: 5 owners! OMG (no matter that each of them had a PCA membership, changed the oil every 6 months, and had 3 other 911's in the garage). This car was at a DE event? What? Like, on a track with other cars? I need a $10,000 discount.

This is before we get to "overrevs" or "997.2 bore scoring".

When I proposed to my wife, I did some diamond research over on Pricescope. The forum comments over there were just as comical. "I could never live with a K; heck, I can spot a J all the way across the room" (yeah right. I did a study to back that up. Most "enthusiasts" picked out a super-ideal M-color stone to be J/K, which is 3-4 color grades whiter. "I feel so self-conscious with my H stone, as I feel that every jeweler is looking at me and snickering...(H being very desirable, the 911 C2S of the diamond color world). "a VS2? I couldn't live with that. Sure, I can't see the inclusion without a loupe, but I just know it is there somewhere. It isn't mind-clean" (like knowing the previous owner of your 911 took your car to the track once). Of course, the pros on the site would then start posting and make all of these uptight ladies feel very foolish regarding their preconceived notions.

Unfortunately, we are just as silly in P-car world as a bunch of prissy ladies arguing about why their $120,000, 5-carat diamond shows just a hint of too much color and should be upgraded immediately before grave embarrassment descends upon them.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:52 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

I did ask the guy I'm working with and he said that unless the previous owner gives them that info, they can't say for sure what happened with the car. He also said that they (Carmax) will not sell anything that had frame damage. If they get a car with frame damage, it goes to auction/wholesale - not sure if this is true though.

I think I will have to take the risk, buy it, get a PPI and either keep the car or return it depending on the PPI report. I will make sure that the shop that will do the PPI look closely at the frame/front-end of the car.

Thanks!
With the 7-day return window, you should be covered, outside of your time and the cost of the PPI. It is worth it, however; this car with only minor damage is a steal at the price you are paying.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:09 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raidersfan;15644199

When I proposed to my wife, I did some diamond research over on Pricescope. The forum comments over there were just as comical. "I could never live with a K; heck, I can spot a J all the way across the room" (yeah right. I did a study to back that up. Most "enthusiasts" picked out a super-ideal M-color stone to be J/K, which is 3-4 color grades whiter. "I feel so self-conscious with my H stone, as I feel that every jeweler is looking at me and snickering...(H being very desirable, the 911 C2S of the diamond color world). "a VS2? I couldn't live with that. Sure, I can't see the inclusion without a loupe, but I just know it is [i
there somewhere. It isn't mind-clean" (like knowing the previous owner of your 911 took your car to the track once). Of course, the pros on the site would then start posting and make all of these uptight ladies feel very foolish regarding their preconceived notions.
OT but when I proposed to mine she got a relatively inexpensive ring because we were poor at the time. For our 10 year she made it clear that needed to be rectified. She's a pretty good wife so I had to oblige. I didn't spend any time on forums for that stuff but I did educate myself about as much as I could about the C's of diamonds, cut being the most important, followed by color and clarity as far as I could tell. Ultimately I purchased a loose Signature Ideal diamond from Blue Nile (cut) with an E grade for color and a VS2 . I made a budget and had trade offs based on my research. I picked a superior cut and color but traded down for clarity and size. Ironically the superior cut and color more than makes up for the size and make the stone appear much larger than it is, and a VS2 inclusion cannot be seen without 10x magnification if the diamond cutter and jeweler did their jobs right. It simply explodes in a room with the right lighting. Wife is more than happy with her smaller stone because she looks at all the other BIG, dead, cloudy diamonds that her friends and coworkers husbands bought for them at the local mall chain jewelers for more money and smiles. Its the equivalent of for the same price her friends payed for a new Hyundai, She got a 1 owner fully maintained, low mileage, documented, well optioned 911.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:11 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

double post
Old 02-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Blackrock
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!

Will carmax provide a dme on MT if you are out of state before transfer?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Blackrock
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will carmax give you a dme on a MT if you are out of state before a transfer
Old 02-17-2019, 11:04 AM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thoughts on this one?

https://www.executivemotorcarz.com/2...-60045/6545015
Old 02-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Its a bit dodgy they've only included the first page of the report. Didn't see a full listing there. Regardless of where you ended up on price you'd want to budget $1k additional for a proper steering wheel (sport design wheel).. and possibly another $1k for the PDK service if it hasn't been done. Spark plugs, ignition coils, and drive belt should all be addressed or budgeted for upon purchase as well. Could have all been done but without seeing a service history it will be a question or add to budget for purchase.

One potential note as well.. the car spent its time in Indiana and Michigan and is wearing Extreme Contact DWS all seasons. So it will have been used in some cold weather conditions most likely. Make of that what you will.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:06 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
OT but when I proposed to mine she got a relatively inexpensive ring because we were poor at the time. For our 10 year she made it clear that needed to be rectified. She's a pretty good wife so I had to oblige. I didn't spend any time on forums for that stuff but I did educate myself about as much as I could about the C's of diamonds, cut being the most important, followed by color and clarity as far as I could tell. Ultimately I purchased a loose Signature Ideal diamond from Blue Nile (cut) with an E grade for color and a VS2 . I made a budget and had trade offs based on my research. I picked a superior cut and color but traded down for clarity and size. Ironically the superior cut and color more than makes up for the size and make the stone appear much larger than it is, and a VS2 inclusion cannot be seen without 10x magnification if the diamond cutter and jeweler did their jobs right. It simply explodes in a room with the right lighting. Wife is more than happy with her smaller stone because she looks at all the other BIG, dead, cloudy diamonds that her friends and coworkers husbands bought for them at the local mall chain jewelers for more money and smiles. Its the equivalent of for the same price her friends payed for a new Hyundai, She got a 1 owner fully maintained, low mileage, documented, well optioned 911.
It is fun that a used 997 can be cheaper to drive than a run-of-the-mill Hyundai! Cars or jewelry: it pays to do one's homework! Most people don't get "it" however.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Did y'all see the thread where the guy just bought a 2012 997.2 TTS with 48K miles for freaking $72K !!!!!!

Just like mine. It's had 6 owners (7 now), but if there are truly no stories, that was the deal of a lifetime on a TTS!!

Most at still in the low - mid $80K's at that mileage.

Thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...good-deal.html

Link to the car at an Audi dealer:

Disregard...they took it down.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:03 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Its a bit dodgy they've only included the first page of the report. Didn't see a full listing there. Regardless of where you ended up on price you'd want to budget $1k additional for a proper steering wheel (sport design wheel).. and possibly another $1k for the PDK service if it hasn't been done. Spark plugs, ignition coils, and drive belt should all be addressed or budgeted for upon purchase as well. Could have all been done but without seeing a service history it will be a question or add to budget for purchase.

One potential note as well.. the car spent its time in Indiana and Michigan and is wearing Extreme Contact DWS all seasons. So it will have been used in some cold weather conditions most likely. Make of that what you will.
Thanks for the feedback. The dealer doesn’t seem to know anything about the maintenance history, including whether it has had its 40k mile service.

What is the PDK service?

Yeah, I saw that the car has spent most/all its life in the upper Midwest, which is a bit concerning given that they don’t know anything about the previous owners (yet they claim to be very picky when choosing cars to sell). As for the tires, they told me that they were new summer tires, but the two front tires are all-season. I think the tears are summer tires. What is the advantage there? If anything wouldn’t you want the tears to be all-season?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:28 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jazz11man1

Thanks for the feedback. The dealer doesn’t seem to know anything about the maintenance history, including whether it has had its 40k mile service.

What is the PDK service?

Yeah, I saw that the car has spent most/all its life in the upper Midwest, which is a bit concerning given that they don’t know anything about the previous owners (yet they claim to be very picky when choosing cars to sell). As for the tires, they told me that they were new summer tires, but the two front tires are all-season. I think the tears are summer tires. What is the advantage there? If anything wouldn’t you want the tears to be all-season?
If you can get a full copy of that Carfax it will likely show the major services that have been carried out at a Porsche dealership. If services have been carried out at an independant shop they might not show up, that doesn't mean they weren't done. You've got to go at this like you care about what you're buying, be resourceful. Finding bits of info can lead to other bits of info. For example, if you see any entries on the Carfax that mention a local shop or Porsche dealership where work was done.. contact the local Porsche dealership(s) with the vehicle VIN to fill in any gaps in maintenance data you need. For example, if the car has two service records from Fort Wayne Indiana shops, find the local Porsche dealers nearby and call and ask them to verbally verify about some services carried out. Be prepared to get pushback when contacting a local Porsche dealership where the car was serviced, they may say they can't reveal any service information due to privacy reasons. Simply tell them "I don't need any information at all except to know what mileage XYZ was carried out or if you do not have record of it being done for VIN#________________)" You are not requesting them send you anything, just a verbal confirmation that a service was done.

Do yourself a big favor and learn all about the services that should have been done on the potential cars you might buy. This way you will have a general idea of the care of the car. A car which has not been serviced in a timely manner is a car that has not been cared for. Simple as that.

Maintenance schedule;
https://pictures.dealer.com/porscheo...419b79b522.pdf

Familiarize yourself with the maintenance schedule and use it to remove any cars that haven't been serviced to your personal standards.

If the car has all seasons on it, and expensive ones at that (Extreme Contact DWS are not cheap all seasons, they are pricey)..... the car was most likely used in all seasons. It may or may not be a concern to you. Seeing as greater care should be exercised for a 911 which has been stored in the cold or used in the cold. If what I've just mentioned isn't clear, spend some quality time on this forum reading about engine problems and proper warm up. Google is amazing too. If it's not a concern to you, well enough then.

To answer your question, no.. I do not think all season tires are a benefit on a 911 for my personal use. I haven't lived anyplace cold enough for them and I like to run high performance summers all year. ExtremeContact DWS are great tires (ran them on my TTRS) but they are a compromise as well. Soft sidewalls and crappy wear characteristics (they wear out kinda quick). Nothing wrong with them, just not my cuppa.

Do yourself another favor and don't use what a dealership tells you for anything. Just believe what you can verify yourself.

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)