Oil Filter Housing Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 10:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,764 Likes on 4,304 Posts

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
I have done some research on this and really was surprises because I thought about fitting the spin-on solution.

First of all, i pulled out the pressure relief valve from the original filter housing for curiosity and did some measurements. The opening pressure of the valve starts at approx. 2.2barg. My housing was from 2010. The spin on solution uses oil filters that also have a pressure relief valve installed in some cases, which already opens at lower (!) or similar overpressures. Furthermore, the original housing is made of glass fiber reinforced nylon (PA66 GF35). I was about to shoot the original housing and a spin on filter with an air rifle. I could not yet bring myself to do this, have no spin on filter anyway. But: I trust the tough original housing more than a thin sheet metal jacket when hit by stone etc.

So at this point, I really can't see any advantage anymore, besides, the original filter insert is much easier to check for chips and waste is also minimized.

Btw, the valve can be pulled out and put in again without destroying something, it's just clicked in.
That brittle plastic canister will shatter or completely fail if contacting any road debris (tire gator, etc) whereas the matal canister will more likely bend, maybe puncture, but provide a lot more time to get to the side of the road before all the oil is lost.

Plastic that's constantly heat cycled just doesn't hold up well - look at the Cayenne 955 coolant pipes as an example.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Housing Leak