997 GTS tech specs

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 12:04 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 689 Posts
Default 997 GTS tech specs

Question for you 997 gurus

I'm thinking of switching my 997.2 C2S for a 997.2 GTS in a year or two and I'm trying to understand all the technical differences between those cars.

Engine- hp increases to 408 with broader and flatter peak torque curve
Suspension- stiffer with anti-roll bars compared to C2S
Tires-rear wheel is one size wider compared to C2S
Body-slightly wider body same as C4S
Cosmetic- interior alcantara and sport fascia on front of car

My main question concerns the tire track. As I understand it, the 997.2 GT3RS and 4.0 RS both had a wider front track which added stability compared to the regular C2S models. This was part of the reason the tire track on the 991 C2S models became 2inches wider than the 997 C2S models.

I was recently reading the EVO review of the 997.2 GTS and the article suggested (but didn't implicitly state) that with the 997.2 GTS, not only did it come with the wider C4S body, but also the track or distance between the tires was increased on the 997.2 GTS compared to the 997.2 C2S.

Can anyone tell me if that is true? If so, does anyone know by how much? 1in, 2inches?

I guess there is space to do so, I remember you could option the 997 911s with 5mm spacers from the factory.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-16-2015 at 12:13 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-16-2015, 01:54 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Can you share the EVO article? I've never heard that it is wider in the front. Everything I've seen shows the C2S and GTS front suspension as identical outside of the sway bar (given same PASM/SPASM options). Even part numbers are the same including LCA, steering rack, axles, hubs and trailing arm. There isn't anything else among those parts that would allow for increased front track width. Adding front track width is accomplished with non-standard OEM or aftermarket parts but C2/4S and 4/GTS have identical relevant suspension otherwise.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:13 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Question for you 997 gurus

I'm thinking of switching my 997.2 C2S for a 997.2 GTS in a year or two and I'm trying to understand all the technical differences between those cars.

Engine- hp increases to 408 with broader and flatter peak torque curve
Suspension- stiffer with anti-roll bars compared to C2S
Tires-rear wheel is one size wider compared to C2S
Body-slightly wider body same as C4S
Cosmetic- interior alcantara and sport fascia on front of car

My main question concerns the tire track. As I understand it, the 997.2 GT3RS and 4.0 RS both had a wider front track which added stability compared to the regular C2S models. This was part of the reason the tire track on the 991 C2S models became 2inches wider than the 997 C2S models.

I was recently reading the EVO review of the 997.2 GTS and the article suggested (but didn't implicitly state) that with the 997.2 GTS, not only did it come with the wider C4S body, but also the track or distance between the tires was increased on the 997.2 GTS compared to the 997.2 C2S.

Can anyone tell me if that is true? If so, does anyone know by how much? 1in, 2inches?

I guess there is space to do so, I remember you could option the 997 911s with 5mm spacers from the factory.
I have the Porsche 997 GTS Product Information book (UK version) and I see no reference to any wider front track. PM me your email address and I'll send you a pdf copy of the book.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Can you share the EVO article? I've never heard that it is wider in the front. Everything I've seen shows the C2S and GTS front suspension as identical outside of the sway bar (given same PASM/SPASM options). Even part numbers are the same including LCA, steering rack, axles, hubs and trailing arm. There isn't anything else among those parts that would allow for increased front track width. Adding front track width is accomplished with non-standard OEM or aftermarket parts but C2/4S and 4/GTS have identical relevant suspension otherwise.
According to this the rear track is 1.73 inches wider on a GTS compared to the other 911 997 rear wheel drive versions

http://www.automoblog.net/2010/09/16...1-carrera-gts/

Still have no info on the front track on the GTS. I do know the 997.2 GT3 RS front track was more than an inch wider than the base 911.

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I have the Porsche 997 GTS Product Information book (UK version) and I see no reference to any wider front track. PM me your email address and I'll send you a pdf copy of the book.
PM sent
Old 11-16-2015, 04:23 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

The rear track is indeed wider since it's the C4 body so it's the same rear track width as any C4, C4S, etc. The front of all 997's are the same in terms of the body. The way the GT3 RS gets a wider front track is through different lower control arms that push the wheels out farther for more negative camber, and probably wheel offsets. They have the over fenders to account for the extra width but I'm pretty sure those components would fit on any 997 fine. That said, fairly sure the GTS front is identical to the C2S except for perhaps the sway bars. The rear track is only wider as a result of wheel offsets. The rear suspension is actually the same between the C2S and the GTS (I have transferred suspension modifications from a 997.2 C2S to my GTS when I switched so I know this first hand).
Old 11-16-2015, 06:14 PM
dmz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure that the front track on the GTS is unchanged from the standard 4S. The 2 cars you mentioned (GT3RS, GT3 4.0 RS) both came with the extended wheel arches to fit the wider track. the GTS does not have the wider arches.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:03 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
. The rear track is only wider as a result of wheel offsets.
This is not correct.

The 'wider' offsets are a result of the wider track. Not the cause.

The welded rear fenders, rear bumper cover and rear axles are all wider/longer on the GTS and are identical to the 4S/Turbo. The GTS suspension and C2S rear suspension are the same though.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

I love my 991 GT3, but in 12 months I may downsize to one 911 for a several years. I would definitely track that car as well, and I'm thinking a 997 GTS might by the perfect dual purpose car to drive daily and track once a month or so. (I'm not a fan of the big feeling or numb steering etc of the non GT 991s).

From what I've read, the bigger rear tire and wider front track and stiffer suspension (and engine improvements) make the 997 GTS a better track car than a 997 C2S, without any real daily compromises like the 997 GT3.

Any off the track guys know if you can install GT3 control arms on a GTS for a wider front track (and achieve more negative camber)?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:25 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
Any off the track guys know if you can install GT3 control arms on a GTS for a wider front track (and achieve more negative camber)?
Yes, you can install front GT3 LCAs on the GTS for increased track width and negative camber. There are some other parts you will need to adapt them to the other suspension components. Check with your race shop for the parts needed. Or ping me if you ever make the jump and I can send all the part numbers your way.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This site has the 997 GTS brochure.
https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/catalogues/

It does not give front and rear track width, but it says that the rear has been widened by 32mm compared to the Carrera S.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:43 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Might just be me, but in terms of difference between a regular 997 I wouldn't put the slightly wider rear track very high on the list. Unless you're talking looks, then all bets are off. But in terms of track use? I would think the engine option is a lot more significant. Not so much in hp as eagerness to rev and pull right to redline. Another one I would consider more important in a track car, dynamic motor mounts came standard on the GTS. But like almost everything else they could also be optioned on a 997.

So the rear track is the one thing you can't get other than with a GTS. Maybe somebody has the full list, but it seems to me it was possible to order a regular 997 with more performance options than the GTS came with standard. PCCB for example - if you consider that a performance option, I know opinions differ. Ditto CL's. Some seem to think the CL's have enough disadvantages for track use they'd prefer a regular 997 with lugs to a GTS with CL's. I'm just rattling off technical differences no one has mentioned yet. Ones I think matter. Anyway the point is I wouldn't write off a nicely optioned 997 just because it doesn't have a big butt.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:06 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

This is not correct.

The 'wider' offsets are a result of the wider track. Not the cause.

The welded rear fenders, rear bumper cover and rear axles are all wider/longer on the GTS and are identical to the 4S/Turbo. The GTS suspension and C2S rear suspension are the same though.
Well as was stated above, the widebody 997 is 32mm wider in rear track width. The offsets of the rear 11" rim on a C4/C4S/GTS are ET51 while the offset of the 11" rear of a C2/C2S are ET67 which is exactly 16mm for each side which adds up to the 32mm. I just thought that they would keep the suspension components the same and simply add offset to the rear wheels to increase the track width. Of course the fenders had to be wider to accommodate this, but I don't see much mechanically different between the NB and WB in the suspension besides the wheel offsets. Otherwise the rear sway bar I transferred over from my C2S to the GTS wouldn't fit since the actual hub carriers would be wider apart, right?
Old 11-18-2015, 12:23 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Another one I would consider more important in a track car, dynamic motor mounts came standard on the GTS.
Not sure where you saw this but this is not correct. It may have been for the 991 GTS but certainly not the 997 GTS.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:31 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
Well as was stated above, the widebody 997 is 32mm wider in rear track width. The offsets of the rear 11" rim on a C4/C4S/GTS are ET51 while the offset of the 11" rear of a C2/C2S are ET67 which is exactly 16mm for each side which adds up to the 32mm. I just thought that they would keep the suspension components the same and simply add offset to the rear wheels to increase the track width. Of course the fenders had to be wider to accommodate this, but I don't see much mechanically different between the NB and WB in the suspension besides the wheel offsets. Otherwise the rear sway bar I transferred over from my C2S to the GTS wouldn't fit since the actual hub carriers would be wider apart, right?
Yes this makes sense also from a simple cost-to-produce POV. However, it may be just the fenders are different because I double checked PET and the subframe cross bars are the same part number for the GTS and C2S and so are the axles. That would give it away if they were different. I'm adjusting my own GTS dossier with this info. So I'm glad this topic came up.

My previous source was a Porsche NA brochure that stated the axles were different and therefore the track needed to be wider to accommodate them.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:45 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Not sure where you saw this but this is not correct. It may have been for the 991 GTS but certainly not the 997 GTS.
Probably got it from the one I test drove had it. But that GTS also had Sport Chrono. I thought the GTS came with Sport Chrono, and dynamic motor mounts were part of SC?

This is a good thread because while there is almost nothing technically different about the GTS (rear track, period. And even then only on the 2.) the normal options that came standard on the GTS is a different story.

Quick Reply: 997 GTS tech specs