Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 GTS tech specs

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

ok so we think that the rear suspension is the basically the same on the GTS as it is on the C2S, and so only offset was added to gain the extra 32mm of rear track width?

Dynamic engine mounts were an option for the 997.2 Turbos and GT3s. Doesn't make sense that it would be standard equipment for a GTS as this was new tech for Porsche at the time, but now the engine mounts are standard equipment on upper range 991 models.

Definitely going to look for a GTS without centerlocks. They are beautiful to look at on my GT3, but otherwise a pain in the *** for a car that will be tracked.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-18-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-18-2015, 12:57 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Dynamic mounts are definitely included with Sport Chrono. The question is if SC was standard on a GTS? If not then there really is no reason to prefer a GTS, since Sport Chrono is so valuable on the track. I could've sworn Sport Chrono was part of the GTS options package?
Old 11-18-2015, 01:07 PM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I cannot speak to the wider front track; as stated rear is over 1" wider. I CAN speak to what you are referencing: steering feel! The 997.2 C$ GTS Cab I have is amazing. I feel the road when needed, but can do a 400 mile trip without stopping and be comfortable getting out. The setup is so impressive! With the larger track/body of the 991 compared to the 997, you just feel more engaged and in charge...not removed from the "action"...but this is something you already know as well. Either way, you have a "problem" others would love to have, so I don't think you can go wrong here! Couple pics of the rear-end and side
Attached Images     
Old 11-18-2015, 01:35 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

My GTS has Sport Chrono (but not plus since it's a 6MT) and doesn't have dynamic engine mounts. I was under the impression that no 997.2 Carrera cars had dynamic engine mounts and that it was for the turbos? The newer 991's might have them but as far as I know, the 997 GTS does not.

As for the wider rear track width on the effect of handling - I've tracked both my 997.2 C2S and 997.2 GTS extensively and the rear end of the GTS is more stable and less prone to step out, probably working in conjunction with the different sway bars. Both cars are/were SPASM with the same tires and similar alignments. Makes sense as increasing track width increases the grip at that end, hence why Porsche increased the front track on the 991 so much to increase front end grip. In terms of overall performance... the GTS is only slightly faster, mostly due to the extra hp, but this only comes into effect above 6500rpm or so, where the C2S starts to run out of breath, the X51 will keep pulling all the way to 7300rpm. That said, a very basic C2S will probably be just as quick as a fully optioned GTS when you consider the weight differences.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:51 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Dynamic mounts are definitely included with Sport Chrono. The question is if SC was standard on a GTS? If not then there really is no reason to prefer a GTS, since Sport Chrono is so valuable on the track. I could've sworn Sport Chrono was part of the GTS options package?
SC is not standard on the 997 GTS. I think you are mixing 991 and 997 options.

SC is standard on the 991 GTS as per the 991 GTS sales brochure. That 991 GTS sales brochure also mentions SC including dynamic engine mounts. There is no mention of dynamic engine mounts in SC or SC+ on the 997 GTS that I can find anywhere even in the sales brochure for the 997 GTS.

The SC+ section (page 26-27) does not reference it. In fact engine mounts are not mentioned anywhere in the document:
http://photos.stuttcars.info/upload/...911-997GTS.pdf

I've seen an SC equipped GTS and it did not have dynamic engine mounts. So, I am confident dynamic engine mounts were not available as OEM equipment on any of the 997 GTS variants.

This is debatable and most agree that SC is only really useful with PDK. The more aggressive throttle mapping (full throttle at 50% pedal travel) is the only useful addition for SC in manual cars and even then it's more trickery than any performance improvement.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:10 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
ok so we think that the rear suspension is the basically the same on the GTS as it is on the C2S, and so only offset was added to gain the extra 32mm of rear track width?
It's not just wheel offset. The entire rear portion of the body is wider than a C2S. 72.8" vs. 69.7" for the C2S.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:48 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
It's not just wheel offset. The entire rear portion of the body is wider than a C2S. 72.8" vs. 69.7" for the C2S.
Yup. We established that but what we also deduced is that it's only the fenders that widen the rear and not the tub, other suspension mounting points or parts. So it's only wider because of the rear fenders, rear bumper cover and then the larger offset wheels finish it off.

That's good info to know and makes perfect logical sense.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:07 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Front tire track on GTS is same as c2s...they use the same uprights, same wheels same brakes. If you want to widen the front tire track you can use gt3 lower control arms which is what I did...or just install gt3 uprights but you will need the gt3 6 pot calipers and larger rotors too...great upgrade I might add.
Also the gt3 front wheel offset is different thus giving a wider front track too.

Quick Reply: 997 GTS tech specs