Sponsored by:

decided to sell the GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dealer Trade In

Easiest way to swap would be to do a dealer trader in.. Trade in for a Cayenne, its like a 911 with space in my opinion.. Father has owned one since 2007 (Titanium Edition), if I were ever to get rid of my 997 turbo for family would get a Cayenne for sure.. Maybe that is why I am still single, not married with kids as ALL my peers are... Then again my friends are not driving 911 turbos, ducati's, etc... Selfish at 36, maybe one day I will have to grow up, but for now its all about ME.... lol
Old 12-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Neos281
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sambb
i pulled the sale, since i wasn't getting a lot for the 68k I wanted
I don't want to solicit on a non-classified board like this
Basically it is a nice care, 30k miles, blk/blk gts pdk 2011, no issues, and CPO, just had 30k service

I got low ball offers

I love the car... i just don't drive it much because I have 2 kids
I really need a macan/panamera/cayenne or tesla

It is my dream car, I just don't drive it much, but my kids and family are important and i need a bigger car

AS a first time 911 buyer, i think it is important to realize that the car's limitations are not performance, it is size. You might think that family fits, but it isn't easy. I like the GTS - love it - but hard to keep a car i drove 1800 miles in 10 months
Hey Sam - if you're intent on selling it, may I suggest try listing through PCA? Even if you're not currently a member, its worth the annual fee (about $50) to list through them. When I was looking at trading my 911 at Porsche of Plano, I was offered $10K less than what I sold it for. Additionally, it sold on the first day of listing. Just a thought.

Good luck with whatever you decide! Porsche Cayenne isn't a bad choice.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:31 PM
alleykat
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see the need to go all out with a $60k+ family car? I mean the kids are only gonna destroy the interior anyways. A nice newer 2007+ Lexus GS can be had for $20k or so.Id do that before I sell my 911.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:55 PM
sambb
Instructor

I don't know. It is hard to switch between all sorts of cars.
I feel like i got this car at the wrong age. If I were 25 or 60 it wouldve been better. I am in my mid 40s. It is different.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:33 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

What options on the GTS and where are you located?

If you have doubts, the car is not for you. Dreams can change.....besides its just a car.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:09 AM
sambb
Instructor

I have the usual options
Blk/blk, alcantara, bose, sport chrono exhaust heated seats/wheel, pdk
It is in St Louis

I wonder where there are good places to sell specialty cars like a GTS, besides here and pca. Some have suggested auction sites.

Porsches are so variable in options, that it is hard to standardize outside of the cpo website.

Nevertheless, I think the 997 is a fantastic car, but it is a sports car for me, not a daily driver, and in a place like my city (1 dealer, not sure of independent service, etc), it is not an easy car to keep because of issues like variety of dealers, etc. I also think they are better cars for the sun/south areas, rather than other areas. I wonder how many 911s are sold in colder climates.

I think i will move to tesla maybe, but hard to say. Putting the 911 away for dec 15-Feb 15, with only occasional drives on warmer days during this hibernation season.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:46 AM
alleykat
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how many 911s are sold in colder climates.

I think i will move to tesla maybe, but hard to say. Putting the 911 away for dec 15-Feb 15, with only occasional drives on warmer days during this hibernation season.
I forget you guys in other states don't have it like South Texas. Year round driving,no snow,what's winter tires? lol.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:25 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know. It is hard to switch between all sorts of cars.
I feel like i got this car at the wrong age. If I were 25 or 60 it wouldve been better. I am in my mid 40s. It is different.
I'm in my mid forties (well, getting closer to 50...), and I've kept the 911 all throughout my marriage and bringing up the kids. I got a four door sedan but did what I had to to hang on to the 911. A four door really is more practical for a family but the 911 is fantastic stress reliever and make-you-smile vehicle.

You won't realize how much you'll miss it until it's gone.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Trilapis888
7th Gear

Don't want to interfere with your decision but i'm gonna tell you my story and give you a different angle. Back in 2005 i was just starting my career in advertising so i had a ****ty salary. Was obsessed with cars and found one of my favourite cars - then and now - a Land Rover Defender, at an amazing price. It was, just like your GTS, a very special model that is rare in Europe: a v8. I bought it with a lot of efforts and then started pumping money into it to get it in the state i desired. After three years i gave up: i didn't have enough money to maintain it, didn't have enough money to buy a second car so i sold it. Sold it to a friend, with more than i bought it for.

Yes of course i regret selling it. But beyond missing that v8 roar and the mud flying on steep forest climbing paths, selling it was also a bad financial decision at the end of the day. That car is worth now at least 3 times the price i sold it for, not to mention they stopped making them this year. And this rarity resembles a lot with your GTS.

Now going back with the fact that you don't drive the car, i would look at it as an investment. The prices will go down another 4-5 years but then they will go up. You have a rare model, maybe the best of the 997 range. So for sure you will end up with a low milage high value dream car. Being that the 997 was the last Porsche series without electric steering and with aspirated engines, i bet it's going to become the 993 of the 2020's.

All that being said should i mention i am a bit also in your situation, only on the other side of the fence: i am sure i will own a 997.2 but family comes first and i am waiting for prices to drop a bit more.

Good luck with your sell, i would love to buy your car, if the euro/dollar convertion rate would have been more friendly maybe i would have.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:45 PM
PC's 997S
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there.

Bought my first 911 new in 2000. Sold it for family reasons. Missed the crap out of it. Bought a new 911 Targa two years later. A couple kids later, the car was sacrificed. Although I've always had another winter vehicle, it didn't make sense to keep a Porsche that I was putting 1.5k miles on a year. Family time on the weekends didn't equate to Porsche time. Missed the crap out of it.

8 years later, the kids are getting older & I get "me" time again. I bought a certified pre owned 2007 997S. If you're like many here, you got hooked. Go ahead & enjoy your family time. More than likely should you sell, you'll be back.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:10 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Is it sold yet? The suspense is killing me.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:32 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I sold mine on AutoTrader, the guy who bought it called me recently just to tell me how much he was loving it - taking it to PCA cruises, track events and autocross events. I'm happy for him. And...

Now that I'm back in a 911 C2S, a 997.1 6 Speed, I don't miss the GTS any more. The ride in my 997.1 w PSAM and Eibach lowering springs is way better than the GTS with SPASM.

I installed a blue tooth device, so now I no longer miss the improved technology of the GTS PCM.

The 997.1 has plenty of HP and torque, so i don't really miss the extra 50 HP of the GTS.

Of course nothing beats the wide hips of the GTS, and I loved the wheels, and the adaptive sport seats.

I agree that the GTS is the "best 911 without a wing." I was looking at pics of my GTS recently and admiring the sheer beauty, a true work of art, and the GT Silver color is so awesome.

However, for nearly half the money, I'm really happy and not looking back.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Do you have a $number and is it black or metallic black?
Old 12-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Did you have a $number ? Is the car metallic black or black?
Old 12-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Double posting bad me

Quick Reply: decided to sell the GTS