Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decided to sell the GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 07:24 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wanted 68k. I dont want to go against forum rules as this post wasnt meant to be an advertisement. If details are desired, I can be PM'd?
If anyone has advice on sales also, let me know.
I appreciate all the comments and your enthusiasm for porsche is amazing. I just have kids who are too big to fit in the car, and too small to drive on their own. I hope to find a way to sell, and be back in 5-10 years maybe. I dont know. I admire those of you who can drive it for a few thousand miles a year, and still keep it. Im not in that situation I dont think.
If anyone has a suggestion for a family sports sedan or SUV, also let me know. I keep wavering between cayenne, panamera, macan, and tesla. Its a weird price range, because you could also include S class, 7 series, preowned m5, new m3, etc
Old 12-05-2015, 08:08 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
I'm in my mid forties (well, getting closer to 50...), and I've kept the 911 all throughout my marriage and bringing up the kids. I got a four door sedan but did what I had to to hang on to the 911. A four door really is more practical for a family but the 911 is fantastic stress reliever and make-you-smile vehicle.

You won't realize how much you'll miss it until it's gone.
agree. would never sell the 911 for something with more room. in fact, i lost my house in a divorce, but kept my 993. and now i park my 993 in the garage of the new house. 911 is my weekend car and my daughter LOVES it; always wants me to take her to school in it because it's the "cool" car. and i got mine when she was just a year old. the 911 can generate unique memories with the family too; my daughter and i just took a 1500 mile road trip up and down the coast of CA and she's 10. i told her one day i was selling it and she said "you better not..." i have an ocean liner lexus for more traditional "family" duties.
keep the 997 GTS. it's a magnificent machine.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:00 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OP, with the replacement cars you've listed it sounds like money isn't the main restrictive factor - do you have space to keep the GTS and get a practical family hauler?

My family car is a Chrysler 300S - you can buy them dirt cheap a year old, they have all the modern creature comforts, they drive nicely for a big car, and you don't have to worry about your kids beating the crap out of the interior (although yours sound older than my 5 & 7 year old boys).

That said, when I take them in the 911 they are very careful/respectful, riding in that car is always a special treat for them. They actually take their shoes off before they step in, and carefully place them on the floor mat! That way, they don't have to worry about scuffing up the seat backs.

If you really & truly enjoy the 911, some option like that may be worth considering...

cheers!
Old 12-05-2015, 09:49 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sambb
i wanted 68k. I dont want to go against forum rules as this post wasnt meant to be an...
You're a member, you get to give the details here. You want $68K for a GTS? Sounds like a bargain.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:16 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,290 Likes on 2,037 Posts
Default Keep it!

Geez... Just keep the car!

I had my rev limiter drive the kids around in a 85 911 Cab for 10 years! They loved it all the way into high school! You should have seen it, tall blonde with three teenage boys with all their LaCrosse gear piled in with the top down. Lots of laughter and fun. The surfboards kind of maxed things out and thats when the BMW Sportwagon came to save the day, (it was not adequate.) Now the Cayenne fills the "Hauler" role with total comfort and the Porsche persona. Just get a nice used Cayenne S or Turbo and enjoy…

Another more persona tidbit… My father lamented not keeping the cool cars from his youth. I vowed to not repeat his mistake. So... I still have my first 911. Its a 67 911 with 54k and it remains an original paint survivor… The satisfaction of taking that car out of long term storage will be fantastic in a few years...

Back to owning a GTS. I just scooped up a 2012 C4 GTS with the Aero kit and a pile of options. These GTS's are keepers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
90 928 GT with 155k and counting (personal favorite)
67 911 with 54k
06 Cayenne S Titanium with 37k
12 Carrera 4 GTS Aero with 34k
Old 12-06-2015, 05:11 PM
GMAC03
Advanced

OP i'm at the same place. tired of walking past my 911 to jump in my truck because there is more then one person that needs a ride.

Love the car, but only do about 6000 km/yr.

Have started test driving M4's and await the C63 coupe. Will probably switch in the spring, in the hopes that i'll have considerably less time in my truck and more in a spirited coupe.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:36 PM
sambb
Instructor

thanks so much for the comments
In the end, my passion for a 911 has been a lifelong passion. I have always wanted one since I was 16. I searched far and wide for a black gts, and found one, cpo, and it was perfect. Great PPI, etc. Nevertheless, i didnt estimate that my family desired the comfort of a larger car. And, frankly, it isnt as much fun enjoying alone.
On the flipside, I am glad to have made this lesson on a preowned GTS, rather than a brand new one. I am sure this will cost me some $$, but not as much as it could have cost.
The more i read, the more I am leaning towards a tesla vs panamera. The panamera is described as "ugly" by so many autoreviewers, that I am afraid to buy it as it may have terrible resale. It is interesting that the resale on a panamera is far worse than a 911 - anyone notice that?
Old 12-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Take the family on your test drives. Buy what they tell you to buy. Problem solved
Old 12-07-2015, 11:16 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

dynamically the panamera is exceptional. however, it does look like a prehistoric venereal wart. absolutely hideous.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:34 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I just drove a loaner Panamera for a week - for as gigantic as it looks, it drives wonderfully - not a 911, but for a large car it was very nice. And the looks will grow on you...maybe. If they'd knock a foot off the length, it would probably look great. I got to the point I didn't hate it after a few days.

That said, I think you should just get a dog - a small one - get him a car seat, and then you have a wing-man for your 911 excursions. I take my Maltese with me all the time and he loves it. Problem solved.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:54 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

thanks so much for the comments
In the end, my passion for a 911 has been a lifelong passion. I have always wanted one since I was 16. I searched far and wide for a black gts, and found one, cpo, and it was perfect. Great PPI, etc. Nevertheless, i didnt estimate that my family desired the comfort of a larger car. And, frankly, it isnt as much fun enjoying alone.
On the flipside, I am glad to have made this lesson on a preowned GTS, rather than a brand new one. I am sure this will cost me some $$, but not as much as it could have cost.
The more i read, the more I am leaning towards a tesla vs panamera. The panamera is described as "ugly" by so many autoreviewers, that I am afraid to buy it as it may have terrible resale. It is interesting that the resale on a panamera is far worse than a 911 - anyone notice that?
Yeah the Panamera resale is pretty miserable. I hear nothing falls faster than the resale value of a new AMG Mercedes. Old Jag sedans used to depreciate faster than a house on fire.

I suspect it's a difference between weekend or high performance sports cars and family oriented daily driver sedans honestly. For a sports car I don't much care if the tech is yesterdays or the latest greatest if the car is great to drive, but if the vehicle is for hauling kids to soccer games, I can understand why people would prioritize newer and all the things that implies over how good the chassis feels when you go around a bend.

Everyone says the Panameras are just great to drive and the closest thing to a four door 911 out there. Also I understand the turbos are just stupid fast. Maybe you look to pick up a heavily depreciated bargain. There's not that much left to lose if you start pretty far down the depreciation curve. If you get lucky, you might even find a plateau and drive the car nearly for free for a few years.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cayenne

Have you tried the Cayenne? You can find a sweet one with in the 20-30k range, perfect for rough weather, kids, etc.. and its still a Porsche.. Cayennes have taken a good hit in depreciation and they are great cars.. My favorite SUV by far, still get those envious looks from other drivers.. "Look at that bastard in a Porsche," lool
Old 12-07-2015, 02:38 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

The Panamera is ugly to my eyes. The Panamera resale drops like a rock like an E63 AMG, M5, Audi etc.. There's minimal aftermarket for them as weekend cars or track cars. That's why cars like the M3, 911, Vette will hold a higher resale, similar to convertibles.

A 8cylinder German sedan normally prices out very simliar to the entry level model in 3-4years. E class to C class, 5 Series to 3 Series... Guys will track a 3 series, but its rare to turn a 5 Series into a track car.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:56 PM
sambb
Instructor

It is interesting about the panamera. I would love to have a 4s executive, but i think the car would be impossible to sell. There are still NEW 2014 turbos and executives out there.

THe car is an amazing drive, but i think that sort of buyer goes for an S class. It doesnt help that the panamera is perceived as ugly. I like the car actually, but so hard to consider it well.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It is interesting about the panamera. I would love to have a 4s executive, but i think the car would be impossible to sell. There are still NEW 2014 turbos and executives out there.

THe car is an amazing drive, but i think that sort of buyer goes for an S class. It doesnt help that the panamera is perceived as ugly. I like the car actually, but so hard to consider it well.
Out here in coastal Newport Beach/Laguna Beach, Panameras are very well received. They are everywhere. For most, in this area anyway, Panameras are more aligned with Bentleys and the like (but sportier), and are a step beyond the ubiquitous S Class/BMW 7/Audi A8 cars. Speaking strictly of driving dynamics, none of those cars come close to the Panameras. My brother and I bought our mom one. I'm always blown away each time I get behind the wheel of it. They really shrink down around the driver when on the road. And the rear passengers ride in Lear Jet levels of comfort. Nicer than anything past double its price. The fold-flat seats and rear hatch make it so useful for any situation. It's really the perfect car, in so many ways. No way to understand this until you've lived with one for a while. Just look at all the shut lines -- so clean and purposeful, like the overall car itself. It's one cohesive functional whole. It's well designed, as opposed to styled. And it's actually far, far more emotive than any photos can convey. I'd love to try a PGTS one day. May be the perfect all around car. IMHO, of course. ;-)

Quick Reply: decided to sell the GTS