Sponsored by:

thinking of moving on, not sure

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:08 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of moving on, not sure

I purchased a great perfect 911 GTS after an exhaustive search and I was lucky to get a CPO model, and with a great shop doing a great PPI.
However, in 8 months, I have only driven < 2000 miles.
I drive it on the weekends, and i love the car, but it attracts some attention, and I am uncomfortable with that. Nearly every time i fill up gas, someone comments on the car. People sometimes look. Not everyone, but it certainly happens. I don't track or drive the car anywhere near its limits.

I am thinking that i am more understated in personality, and need to move to a macan or a BMW M235. I am not sure I will get over the attention, enough to drive it daily. It is a third car for me, so it is not a daily driver. Nevertheless, its beauty is a downside. Sort of like having a beautiful girlfriend - someone is always looking to move into her space.. Not sure what to do. Hoping someone can relate to these experiences and offer some guidance on this aspect of owning a 911. I am not comfortable with being approached, or having the car looked at closely. I know most people don't care, but there is a contingency that does. I live in the midwest; i bet in florida or california people wouldn't care.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:14 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

Keep it. You will adjust to the attention.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Drive more! And embrace having a 'hot wife'. I didn't buy the car to impress others or to get attention but I don't mind the attention - though I'm surprised that my Laguna Blue S2000 seemed to get more attention than my Silver 911.

I have a daily driver, but I've still put on 2,000+ mi in 3.5 months of ownership! (More than I've put on my daily)

God I love my car!
Old 10-26-2015, 10:21 PM
otuA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd be surprised how little strangers actually care about you and your life. You may get some extra attention at the gas station, but it will only last a moment and be so completely harmless that it should not stop you from driving what you love.

Unless you're on the lam. Then maybe consider a less conspicuous car.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:35 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

ThIs definitely qualifies as a "first world" problem.

"Unless you are on the lam". LOL. (I thought I was the only guy who still uses that's phrase)

God I love my car too!
Old 10-26-2015, 10:46 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

No offense but maybe you care too much about what others think. Unless you're driving through town, horn blaring, yelling "Hey Peasants, look at me"!!!, I don't see what you're worried about. It's not a Veyron.

Enjoy your car!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 10:56 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you're regularly driving through sketchy neighborhoods, I don't think the attention factor for 911 GTS can possibly warrant getting rid of it. If it were a Ferrari, Lambo, etc. then I'd hear you loud and clear.

Like others, I say drive it more and you will get used to the little extra attention that it brings at the pump... Enjoy!
Old 10-26-2015, 10:57 PM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My old Audi gets attention...it's not exclusive to the Porsche. Everyone who talks to me had some story or compliment about the car. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the little bit of appreciation for the car, but in some little way, the other persons day is better for having seen the car. You're doing the world a service!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:01 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I understand you perfectly for having the same kind of experience albeit differently: I seem to attract attention because of the '09 cab and I am black. Mind you, most of the time I enjoy it, as it's smiles and compliments with the occasional usual question. Rarely, I will admit, I get a mean stare from another motorist. I wouldn't presume to guess what they are thinking, but I stare right back and that's it. Heck I can afford it and so I please myself; one life to live. Mine is a DD year around and by now I couldn't care less. It's my car and I happen to like it a lot and get a ton of enjoyment from it.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:14 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Who cares what other people think? If you like it and like to drive it, then enjoy it!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:40 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

Be nice to people when they ask about your Porsche. Its not that hard. Many people will never have one and they may just want to get close to it and have a good look. Roll with it and embrace it.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

my wife was self conscious when I bought mine and didn't want to ride in it. It slowly wore off and now she suggests we take it. She looked at it as an unnecessary extravagance and was embarrassed. Now, she sees that it's something fun and just doesn't notice the attention any more. I know where you're coming from but I can tell you that you'll get used to it and by observing people looking you are probably unintentionally inviting discussion. I'm a pretty friendly guy and often enjoy chit chatting but when I don't, I know how to convey my desired solice. Now, my next one will hopefully be bright orange with a wing ;-)
Old 10-27-2015, 12:07 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a 1923 Lincoln Phaeton for over thirty years. People used to look and wave and say "nice car". Now they just want me out of their way. I have a GTS and an M235 and I look at those people in my rear view mirror.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:43 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GTS is an awesome car. But if a small hi-line SUV, or a small BMW sedan is more your style, go for it!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:48 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I can think of many reasons to decide what car is right for you, but they would be my reasons (and I doubt most people would agree with all of them), and they make perfect sense to me. I do understand your feeling uncomfortable (I have had multiple Maserati's Ferrari's and a Lamborghini) about the attention, but that is more about the person than the car. I learned when to notice it (like when someone wants to know about what it is like to drive a car like that when you at gas station) and when not to (the kid in the Honda who floors his car to feed his ego and say to himself he outran a Lambo). I have heard nice car so many times over the years but I always take the time to talk a little to the young guys (I was one of them many decades ago) who's dream it is to one day own a car like mine. They mean no harm and it is a part of the ownership experience (at least that's how I see it). I do not know why you bought your car to begin with (there are so great drivers cars out there that don't cost anywhere near as much) and why you went with a GTS, but if there is one thing I have learned (and this may not apply to anyone but me), driving a car like a Porsche the same way you would drive a Camry is not that much fun. In the end only you can decide that you are comfortable with and the opinions of others (including mine) do not really matter. Do what works for you. Good luck.

Quick Reply: thinking of moving on, not sure