Sponsored by:

thinking of moving on, not sure

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:03 AM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sambb
I am thinking that i am more understated in personality, and need to move to a macan or a BMW M235.
Someone might notice you with the Macan. Not many, but someone.
No one will notice you in the Beamer .... yawn.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:12 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Agree with earlier comments - be an ambassador!

People often react to the shape and that it's a beautiful car. All good! I try to always answer questions and be nice about it. Very few are jealous but those reactions has happened as well.

Why did you buy the car in the first place? Is it in any way not what you expected?

My wife also love the Porsche and even if I would want to sellI don't think she would allow me to sell it. She's a keeper.....both of them
Old 10-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I get lots of attention in my car, very rarely is it unwanted. Kids love it and I like that there are kids that still enjoy cars. There is almost always the "nice car" at the gas station. I just say thanks and move on. I rarely get the feeling that someone is judging me but when I do and they strike up a conversation I tell them it's over 10 years old and cost less than their new suv.

If you don't want attention don't drive an old jeep grand wagoneer, I can't stop anywhere without it being a 3-5 minute conversation. People just go on and on about the one they or their father used to have.

Just roll with it, who cares what other people think. On the other hand if you are going to lay half your staff off you may not want to drive it to work. Otherwise WGAF
Old 10-27-2015, 10:30 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Get your car tinted. Drug lord black limo.
And pick your nose, like no one is watching.

I bet most people have no idea what model it is. GTS is only something a Porsche guy will understand.
Yes its a Porsche, but that is where starer's knowledge ends.
I'm sure all the hatters comments, are coming from the bus stop. No matter the vehicle, someone going to be hatting.
Got two good legs? Someone's going to be hatting you from their chair.
Its all about perspective.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

AeroKit cars get attention. People think it's more exotic. I'm kind of surprised at the number of people who put down their windows and gesture me to do the same. Most are nice.

The most common question is, "How fast is that?" There is no answer. None that would make any sense.

I will take that over the guy in the Dodge Ram that has to prove his truck is as fast a Porsche.

One mile into ownership, an older gentleman was the first to gesture me to put down my window, and he was an old school Porsche guy who said he regrets to this day getting rid of his 911. Said his ex wife hated it.

I think you should get rid of the car because you're driving it like an appliance. I'm not seeing why you even own it.

Sometimes, it's best to move on.

Last edited by Philster; 10-27-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sambb
I purchased a great perfect 911 GTS after an exhaustive search and I was lucky to get a CPO model, and with a great shop doing a great PPI.
However, in 8 months, I have only driven < 2000 miles.
I drive it on the weekends, and i love the car, but it attracts some attention, and I am uncomfortable with that. Nearly every time i fill up gas, someone comments on the car. People sometimes look. Not everyone, but it certainly happens. I don't track or drive the car anywhere near its limits.

I am thinking that i am more understated in personality, and need to move to a macan or a BMW M235. I am not sure I will get over the attention, enough to drive it daily. It is a third car for me, so it is not a daily driver. Nevertheless, its beauty is a downside. Sort of like having a beautiful girlfriend - someone is always looking to move into her space.. Not sure what to do. Hoping someone can relate to these experiences and offer some guidance on this aspect of owning a 911. I am not comfortable with being approached, or having the car looked at closely. I know most people don't care, but there is a contingency that does. I live in the midwest; i bet in florida or california people wouldn't care.
Would you dump your girlfriend or wife because others noticed her? Or would you realize that you need to pay more attention to her? Drive it more. If you don't enjoy it, get rid of it.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go just go. If you don't bleed Porsche you don't belong here.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:45 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
Be nice to people when they ask about your Porsche. Its not that hard. Many people will never have one and they may just want to get close to it and have a good look. Roll with it and embrace it.
This.

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I do understand your feeling uncomfortable (I have had multiple Maserati's Ferrari's and a Lamborghini) about the attention, but that is more about the person than the car. I learned when to notice it (like when someone wants to know about what it is like to drive a car like that when you at gas station) and when not to (the kid in the Honda who floors his car to feed his ego and say to himself he outran a Lambo). I have heard nice car so many times over the years but I always take the time to talk a little to the young guys (I was one of them many decades ago) who's dream it is to one day own a car like mine. They mean no harm and it is a part of the ownership experience (at least that's how I see it). I do not know why you bought your car to begin with (there are so great drivers cars out there that don't cost anywhere near as much) and why you went with a GTS, but if there is one thing I have learned (and this may not apply to anyone but me), driving a car like a Porsche the same way you would drive a Camry is not that much fun. In the end only you can decide that you are comfortable with and the opinions of others (including mine) do not really matter. Do what works for you. Good luck.
and THIS.

Originally Posted by Nova997
Would you dump your girlfriend or wife because others noticed her? Or would you realize that you need to pay more attention to her? Drive it more. If you don't enjoy it, get rid of it.
But also this.

I will tell you a story. I had a Ferrari 308 GTSi QV for several years. By no means a "fast" car but an absolutely iconic head turner. I was sitting at a sidewalk table of a restaurant in NYC with the car parked nearby, every single passerby looking. One father with a very young son walked by and the kid went bananas. Kept running back to the car etc. I was just trying to have my brunch quietly -- I was alone on a Sunday morning, but seeing what was happening, I got up and walked toward them.

The dad had a completely mortified look on his face -- as soon as I got close he says to me "I'm really sorry, I'm trying to get him away from your car" and yelled at the boy. I stopped right in front of the dad and said "It's no problem" -- I turned to the kid and said "Hey, you like the car? Do you want to sit inside for a minute if dad's OK with that"? The dad and the kid were stunned. I let the kid -- and the dad -- sit in the car and I fired up that glorious V8 for them...

It took 10 extra minutes out of my brunch, but it made that kid's day...

I know this sounds like a Hallmark card, but I can assure you this a 100% true story. It's not always like this, but the few times something like this happens, it's nice...

Last edited by jsalah; 10-27-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:51 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm the insensitive guy here. +1 on what all the others have said.

Please tell us the details of the car and how much you want? Really, I'm serious...

I'd be interested in getting a GTS for the right price.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:06 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

And honestly, drive the thing or sell it. If you have to put a battery tender on your car, get rid of it.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:47 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't mind the occasional query at the gas pump... but I have noticed that the P-car can bring out (very) poor behavior from other drivers.

Some people dream of driving a flamed '57 Chevy or a Veyron with a lion's head mural on the lid... others prefer something a little more subdued. Neither makes sense to the other because the world is made of all different sorts of people. No need to understand or explain this--just be aware of it.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:01 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in the Midwest also and have a 4GTS. I also prefer the stealth look when it comes to cars. However, the driving experience is so awesome the small amount of extra attention is no big deal. As far as high performance cars are concerned, a Porsche is one of the least flashy cars. Ferrari's, Aston Martin's, Lamborghini's, Viper's, Mercedes GT's, Audi R8's would all garner more attention than most Porsche's(except maybe a GT2/GT3). I also put less than 2000 miles on my 4GTS since I bought it last January. I tried using it as a daily driver but my commute is boring with straight roads and expressways filled with 18 wheelers. If I went with a BMW, I would definitely get the new M2.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:09 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Easy on the guy gentlemen, it's his third car and he doesn't drive much. My 997 Turbo also my third ride, I rarely drive it but love staring at it. If you getting the M2, you will also get tons of attention in the Midwest, may be less than the GTS but people will look and compliments. Keep the car, nothing in the BMW line up compare to your GTS, I've owned several 335, M3, and M6, but I never look back to M brand after my first 911.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:25 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you lived near to me, I'd go out for rides with you in your car ... or "chauffeur" you around to your heart's content. I promise that I would deflect all the attention away from you... and I'd do it for free since it has to stay in your garage! Deal?
Old 10-27-2015, 07:55 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was the OP. I want to thank everyone for their opinions. I understand that people say to "embrace" the attention. I understand, but honestly, I am just a subtle person. The car was always my dream, and I love driving it. But it also makes me uncomfortable. I have been stopped by the police for going less than 10 mph over the limit, and also I have had a group of 3 people approach me late at night, and I wasn't sure what they wanted. I live in a very nice area, and I understand the car won't get the attention of most exotic cars. However, it does get attention. It is a dream car for so many people, that it attracts some attention. One time, i walked out of whole foods, and saw someone peering into the window of the car.

Obviously this makes me uncomfortable. I can see how it shouldn't because no one has broken any laws or anything, but it just brings uneasiness. It does take some of the joy out of owning the car. I cannot imagine what a ferrari or lambo would do.

I am sure that the onlookers don't know a GTS vs any other 911. Thats not the point.

I am getting a oil change and perhaps putting the car away for the winter soon, but I am concluding that this car is truly revered by some - but that opens it up to a lot of attention. Maybe I have to accept this and find comfort, i don't know. Maybe the car just isn't my personality, and that's that. It is possible to have a more subtle personality and still love the car. I bet I would feel differently if I lived in Florida, where I travel a lot, and see nice cars everywhere. I live in the midwest and it is just different.

I appreciate everyone's comments and I hope you have a nice fall.

Quick Reply: thinking of moving on, not sure