rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks grey
Old 03-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been chasing down a sporadic leak since I purchased the car, started out with noticing some dampness on the passenger floor mat after I washed the car. I checked all the sunroof drains, etc. I think I found the answer and I believe it is a Targa problem thus posting in this thread to get attention and/or other Targa owner comments. I believe water is bypassing the Targa roof seals, running down the A pillar (against the windshield frame/seal, then dripping over at the frame where the window meets the body.

I took most of the front passenger interior trim off and pulled back the A pillar trim (did not remove it) The sunroof drain paths are intact and there is no water on them or in the A Pillar trim itself. There is water on the sunroof drain INSIDE of the passenger compartment, but it's coming from above the drain (see third picture).

Also, to clarify there is not a significant amount of water "inside" the Targa roof(where the sunroof drains are) So this again confirms my suspicion some other seal is bad and allowing water to leak into the car frame/A pillar itself.

I'm still waiting to test the windshield seal as I spent the majority of yesterday taking apart the whole internal passenger side of the car. I will mask off all the Targa specific seals with towels and pour water around the passenger front windshield seals to see if I get any water intrusion. I'm also wondering what else I can see should the windshield be removed. I.e. if I could look up into the A Pillar frame and at the front of the Targa roof assembly to see channels where water could be coming through.

I looked up the workshop manual to replace the Targa roof seals..... looks terrifyingly labor intensive (read $$$$)

PS: I find it humorous whatever that component is that is covered in plastic. That was from the factory (presumably) so maybe Porsche knows this stuff leaks
Old 03-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for adding to the Targa thread. My guess would be the windshield. Do you know or can you tell if it is the original windscreen?
Old 03-04-2019, 07:43 PM
ThreeFiftySix
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 2009 Targa 4S, 26k miles

Last edited by ThreeFiftySix; 03-05-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Having the paint on the inside is better than the "easy peel" black paint used around the window switches and shift boot...
I have a painted center console matched to my exterior Meteor Grey, it is a very good option. Wears very nicely.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:56 PM
ThreeFiftySix
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Agreed!
Old 05-29-2019, 07:40 PM
wgreene00
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prospective 997 Targa owner

I've had a Cayman S in the past (loved every minute of it). Took the girlfriend car shopping. Her first thought, "I don't like Porsches, lets look at XX, yy, zz, etc".
Stopped by the local Porsche dealership anyways and she fell in love with the used 997 Targa on the floor. Why? believe it or not, she loves the aluminum roofline strip. And the wider track of the rear, the lines in general.
So now I have "permission" to get a 911. I'm looking for, I think, a 997.2 manual 4s. Happy to be talked out of that narrow spec. I've just started looking and the pickings seem slim (and expensive) in the Bay Area.
Thoughts? Ideas?
Old 05-29-2019, 07:58 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

I think you are on the right track. Manuals are hard to find. 2009 was the first year for PDK, which is fast and nice, but less engaging. Depends what kind of driving you do.
The open air of the Targa is the big selling point. They are a bit heavier up top with the glass, so if you need a "serious" track car, this isn't it. You get what you pay for, or you pay for it later.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:41 PM
T4S
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wgreene00
I've had a Cayman S in the past (loved every minute of it). Took the girlfriend car shopping. Her first thought, "I don't like Porsches, lets look at XX, yy, zz, etc".
Stopped by the local Porsche dealership anyways and she fell in love with the used 997 Targa on the floor. Why? believe it or not, she loves the aluminum roofline strip. And the wider track of the rear, the lines in general.
So now I have "permission" to get a 911. I'm looking for, I think, a 997.2 manual 4s. Happy to be talked out of that narrow spec. I've just started looking and the pickings seem slim (and expensive) in the Bay Area.
Thoughts? Ideas?
I grabbed a 2009 6MT 4S 1 year ago and really enjoying it. Noticed recently when I price-checked, the T4S has gone up this year and several ads "call for price" because they're getting good money these days. Car is great stock but for a few extra (or many) thousand they come alive and look better. I'll post up pics soon and layout what I've done once I finish a couple more jobs on it. Love the thread & Targa vibe!
Old 05-29-2019, 10:33 PM
wgreene00
8th Gear

I tracked and autocrossed the Cayman and enjoyed that. frankly, I think the targa would/will be my daily driver and not sure i'd track it. i enjoy manual transmissions and would like that bc it's more fun.
anyhow, so the PDK not really a factor for me. I've assumed I want an 09 or later bc i'd want the DFI engine and hopefully blue tooth connectivity.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:11 PM
T4S
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
I've been chasing down a sporadic leak since I purchased the car, started out with noticing some dampness on the passenger floor mat after I washed the car. I checked all the sunroof drains, etc. I think I found the answer and I believe it is a Targa problem thus posting in this thread to get attention and/or other Targa owner comments. I believe water is bypassing the Targa roof seals, running down the A pillar (against the windshield frame/seal, then dripping over at the frame where the window meets the body.

I took most of the front passenger interior trim off and pulled back the A pillar trim (did not remove it) The sunroof drain paths are intact and there is no water on them or in the A Pillar trim itself. There is water on the sunroof drain INSIDE of the passenger compartment, but it's coming from above the drain (see third picture).

Also, to clarify there is not a significant amount of water "inside" the Targa roof(where the sunroof drains are) So this again confirms my suspicion some other seal is bad and allowing water to leak into the car frame/A pillar itself.

I'm still waiting to test the windshield seal as I spent the majority of yesterday taking apart the whole internal passenger side of the car. I will mask off all the Targa specific seals with towels and pour water around the passenger front windshield seals to see if I get any water intrusion. I'm also wondering what else I can see should the windshield be removed. I.e. if I could look up into the A Pillar frame and at the front of the Targa roof assembly to see channels where water could be coming through.

I looked up the workshop manual to replace the Targa roof seals..... looks terrifyingly labor intensive (read $$$$)

PS: I find it humorous whatever that component is that is covered in plastic. That was from the factory (presumably) so maybe Porsche knows this stuff leaks
Any follow up results on this? Thanks, I'm tuned in..
Old 05-30-2019, 10:09 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I think it is a windshield problem not a Targa specific problem. It's either an aftermarket windshield (don't know how to tell) or I believe the seals are shrunken and/or not in the right place. If it is the original seal, the car came from coastal California to Idaho (somewhat humid to very dry) that could be part of the problem? On the passenger side there is no real "lip" to the windshield seal. See this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ield-leak.html

I actually got some gasket sealant and "squirted" it into the seal where it is loose to fill in the apparent gaps and seal it off. At first I thought my solution was going to turn out terrible (Both aesthetically and functionally) but it appears to be working and I can't even tell I did it. I haven't purposefully tested it by pouring water on it but it appears to have worked.

I think the next step would be to have the windshield seal replaced if I continue to have problems. The dealer though they could do it without breaking the windshield but I am not convinced and didn't want to take a risk (yet) as OEM glass + seal is like $1,500 or so.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:16 PM
pdemonet
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thoughts? Ideas?
Hey there wgreene00. I just went through a similar search about two years ago. Found my Targa 4S Manual in New York after months of combing through rennlist, got a PPI, bought it, and had it trucked to the bay area (CA). I've been keeping an eye out for others that have come up since, partially to see if I might have acted to soon and missed one that came up later, but I have not seen anything that I have liked better. And very few are ever on the market at the same time, at least with manual transmission (which was mandatory for me). Good luck with your search.

Where in the bay area are you? I'm in south bay.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:54 PM
wgreene00
8th Gear

hi PDEmonet,

good to hear from you. I'd love to connect and share notes.

I am seeing several at private dealerships in NY and FL, all at very high prices. the ones at dealers are less interesting to me, albeit pricing is a lot better.

I was set on MT until my better half reminded me that we live on a steep hill in San Francisco proper. So I am now open to a PDK...

let me know how to contact you (I am new here--are there DMs?) and we can chat
Old 06-05-2019, 01:04 AM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hi PDEmonet,

good to hear from you. I'd love to connect and share notes.

I am seeing several at private dealerships in NY and FL, all at very high prices. the ones at dealers are less interesting to me, albeit pricing is a lot better.

I was set on MT until my better half reminded me that we live on a steep hill in San Francisco proper. So I am now open to a PDK...

let me know how to contact you (I am new here--are there DMs?) and we can chat

FYI- 997.2 Manual cars has "hill assist" feature and it will help on steep hills. 997.1 don't have that feature.

Quick Reply: The 997 Targa Thread