Sponsored by: Spec Clutch

The 997 Targa Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 AM
RussV60
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by patriot993 View Post
Can the Fisters be added to a non-S?
David - yes, I believe they can. Check out FD Motorsports on the web - you can email or call. When you order you specify the engine and transmission and Darin will confirm he has a set of mufflers for your car. He has versions for old and new 911's. He makes a set out of used mufflers and then you send him back your used ones and he mods those for the next guy, etc.. Mine are going on next Monday (11/23).

Russ
Old 11-18-2015, 12:59 PM
F308gt4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Minok View Post
I'm curious how it holds up to several years of use and washing. Do report back.
I don't think it will last much longer than a year or so, but I could be wrong. I'll update this thread over time. I think Vinyl wrap might be the way to go for longer durability, so maybe I'll try that after the plastidip.

Of course, painting is the best option, but is not reversible if you ever decide you want to go back to the stock look.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:16 PM
F308gt4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RussV60 View Post
F308gt4 - the Fisters are on the way - somewhere between California and Virginia. Expect to see them Friday. Still scheduled for install on the 24th. So far FD has been great to work with. Will keep you updated.
Any updates?
Old 11-29-2015, 08:55 AM
kkswow12
User

The Nordic gold belongs to the targa I would say...
Old 12-05-2015, 06:26 PM
patriot993
Addict
Rennlist Member

David - yes, I believe they can. Check out FD Motorsports on the web - you can email or call. When you order you specify the engine and transmission and Darin will confirm he has a set of mufflers for your car. He has versions for old and new 911's. He makes a set out of used mufflers and then you send him back your used ones and he mods those for the next guy, etc.. Mine are going on next Monday (11/23).

Russ
Thanks! I am focusing on house projects for the winter - will probably go this route in the spring
Old 12-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Volnomad
User

Originally Posted by squid42 View Post
Do you have a bigger photo album of that targa, Volnomad?

Is that color available for PTS? /ducks

That's great.
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but for Squid42, here is a story about my Targa with some photos. It was posted a couple years ago on this forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-targa-4s.html
Old 12-11-2015, 06:59 PM
patriot993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Russ
Hey Russ - talked to Darin; confirmed he can put S tips on my non-S....I am super psyched. Will send mine later in Dec or Jan once I put car away for winter.

Any update on yours?

[edit - have I now hijacked this thread? If so - apologies!]

Last edited by patriot993; 12-11-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:02 AM
RussV60
Addict
Rennlist Member

David,

Sorry - I have been in Germany since Thanksgiving. Had the Fisters put in on the 24th. First I want to say that dealing with Darin was great. Everything was right on schedule and he answered a number of calls and emails as I went through the process. I saved the box he sent the new ones in and he had already processed the UPS label so I just boxed up the old ones and took them to UPS. Very easy.

Now for the important part - they sound great. It is a somewhat subtle sound (not obnoxious) but definitely lower in tone. Under acceleration you can hear the difference. At low throttle cruising through the neighborhood you can hear the rumble. At cruising speed you can't really tell the difference - no vibration, resonance, etc. It was exactly what I was looking for. Took my mechanic about 90 minutes to do both sides.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:07 AM
patriot993
Addict
Rennlist Member

David,

Sorry - I have been in Germany since Thanksgiving. Had the Fisters put in on the 24th. First I want to say that dealing with Darin was great. Everything was right on schedule and he answered a number of calls and emails as I went through the process. I saved the box he sent the new ones in and he had already processed the UPS label so I just boxed up the old ones and took them to UPS. Very easy.

Now for the important part - they sound great. It is a somewhat subtle sound (not obnoxious) but definitely lower in tone. Under acceleration you can hear the difference. At low throttle cruising through the neighborhood you can hear the rumble. At cruising speed you can't really tell the difference - no vibration, resonance, etc. It was exactly what I was looking for. Took my mechanic about 90 minutes to do both sides.

Awesome! My nephew and I 'practiced' taking off the bumper to get better access to the mufflers once the weather gets cold here and the car is put away. Can't wait to get it all done.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-30-2015, 12:27 PM
RussV60
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is my latest mod - new Schnell tips.

It was quite a bit more work than I expected. I ordered the Schnell black chrome tips from Vertex Auto in Miami (see page 123 in the December 2015 issue of Porsche Panorama). They were the best looking tips I could find. I received them in time to be installed with my Fister mufflers. Unfortunately, after an hour plus and 2 mechanics working on it, the tips would not go on and the stock tips were put back on. I called Vertex and sent the tips back to them to check out. They put them on a 2008 Targa 4S and sent me pictures back. Kind of between a rock and a hard place I took them back. The opening in the tips (with the spacer ring) was around 57.2m and the exhaust pipe measured 57.7mm. So I started to work the clamp side of the tip, first tapping a cold chisel into the gap and then using the tightening bolt to squeeze it back. I repeated that 3 times, driving the chisel in deeper each time. I finally got it open to about 57.8mm but no way that was going on. I then tried the old spacer ring and that gave me 58.1mm and I was able to get it on (the left side). So, now having a procedure I started the right side but could not get it on with the old spacer. Put in the new spacer and I got it on. Go figure.

I saw some blogs that gave Vertex a hard time but they were very willing to try to make me happy. They were very responsive but I still can't explain how they were able to get the tips on their car with the measurements I made. Only thing I can think of is variation in the diameter of the exhaust pipe. Maybe Schnell is making these a little tight on the ID. Regardless, these tips look excellent.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:57 PM
F308gt4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bumping the thread since I took some time today to clean and lube the Targa tracks. Figured I would bump the thread as a reminder to all the other Targa owners out there. I find that doing this every 6 months or so keeps the roof opening and closing smoothly.

Hope you all are enjoying your Targas!
Old 01-08-2018, 12:52 AM
Fbrooksr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default '12 Targa 4 in Guards Red

Old 01-08-2018, 12:27 PM
F308gt4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, that red looks beautiful!!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:27 PM
Ascetic
Addict
Rennlist Member

4S Aqua blue here... in some frozen aqua...

Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Greyghost230
User

Originally Posted by F308gt4 View Post
Bumping the thread since I took some time today to clean and lube the Targa tracks. Figured I would bump the thread as a reminder to all the other Targa owners out there. I find that doing this every 6 months or so keeps the roof opening and closing smoothly.

Hope you all are enjoying your Targas!
Thanks for Bumping. I am subscribed.

My silver roofline strips are not as shiny as I would like. Has anyone tried to polish these?