Sponsored by:

Durametric question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:56 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Durametric question

(Also posted in the cayenne forum)

So I have a cayenne and a 997. I'm thinking about getting durametric professional to help me understand my cars more and to hopefully do some more DIY simple fixes.

For all u durametric owners out there, do any of u wish you had NOT purchased it, i.e. it just sits on a shelf and was a waste of $$$. Or are u happy u have it and do you derive value out of it? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:31 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

i purchased the enthusiast kit and my only regret is not upgrading to the pro kit yet.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

I have the pro and use it on my 2 997s. Have done some coding of options and also some data logging of certain engine parameters to troubleshoot a couple issues that have come up. I like having it.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S

I have the pro, and for models 2009 and newer, it is a waste of money in my opinion. However, I would query Durametric to ensure the features that I do use (or you want) are included in the enthusiast package.

Porsche got smart (?) and now prevents much of the coding that you could do on the 997.1 such as door locking. Some coding still can be done such as comfort window drops which I did (nice but not worth hundreds of dollars) and turning off the spoiler so you can add a fixed wing (so I read but I did not do this). You can turn of the seatbelt chime but then the airbag light flashes and that worried me so I undid it.

What I use the Durametric for, and you should confirm the enthusiast dose this if you share my needs:
1 - Resetting service reminder.... I am a DIY guy
2 - Obtaining codes and a nice description (note: not all tripped codes result in dash lights), this IDd for me three things so far (thus saving me money): bad gas cap, misthreaded oil cap, error in door cabling from me changing speakers ( the main connection needed an extra squeeze for some reason).
3 - Tripping some car functions for diagnosing issues.... for example, you can turn on fans and pumps and other things with a click to help diagnose a failed item
4 - Recording live values..... while I have not used this for diagnostics yet, it is really cool and good fun entertainment.

So again, if you share my priorities above, then check with Durametric to ensure these functions are available in the enthusiasts tool. If they are, then I wasted my money on the pro.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-29-2015, 03:03 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Pro version - originally got it so I could adjust some warning alarms when I switch seats for track, so coding was the need and the Pro version was the answer. I don't need to code so much as I thought, but it is nice to have. I do a lot of DIY stuff so reading codes and parameters is nice as is resettling maintenance reminders. I'm happy I have it.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:41 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a pro version for my 997.2

Reading error codes and deleting them did work.

All codings that I attempted failed. Control units are protected by Porsche but Durametric fails to mention that.

Durametric service was a total joke: all questions were answered with "check the manual". Totally useless people.

I sold my cable in disgust for whatever I could get on eB*y.

NEVER AGAIN

Regards,

CF
Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Cayenne and a 997 also and a Durametric Enthusiast. I am running it on a Surface Pro 3. It has been able to reset service reminders, which is what I really wanted it for. I did have some communications difficulties with the 997, but it worked in the end. Durametric support is kind of so-so, and if you have a newer PC or PC tablet, support for modern OS is sort of unknown. I was going to upgrade to a Pro, but there is a new player called iCarsoft Por II that I have been seeing around. A local friend has one, and it can reset codes and has no VIN limitations. I was waiting to see more hands on reviews of it to see if it can replace the Durametric. It promises USB software updates for free, no VIN limits, and its a standalone unit, so no PC issues.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:04 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 8202632
(Also posted in the cayenne forum)

So I have a cayenne and a 997. I'm thinking about getting durametric professional to help me understand my cars more and to hopefully do some more DIY simple fixes.

For all u durametric owners out there, do any of u wish you had NOT purchased it, i.e. it just sits on a shelf and was a waste of $$$. Or are u happy u have it and do you derive value out of it? Thanks!
It doesn't do much unless you track the car and need to disable certain things on a regular basis. It can read out fault codes, and the enthusiast version does that. It cannot reset the maintenance/oil interval properly so its as bad as every other tool out there for that.

You won't learn much about your cars that matter from them for normal usage of the cars.

For what it does the tool should cost $200.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:15 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're not sure I would suggest purchasing the base unit direct from Durametric because they will credit you 100% of the purchase price if you decide to upgrade to the pro.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:10 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i've had durametric pro for few yrs- use on my 07 997.1TT, wife's 07 Boxster S & previously on 996.

i've had no issue deleting service now or reading/deleting any other codes on either car- -used it on TT to activate window up/down with key lock/unlock, chg side marker to turn signal, & turned off seat belt chime on both cars-

not sure it's worth the initial cost, for my use, but wanted more than3 car entusiast model & figured i could always sell if i have no more porsche.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks everyone! Sounds like the enthusiast is the way to go. I thought I would want the coding feature but since I have a 997.2, it won't be much help.

Anyone know if any coding features are a must have for a 09 957 cayenne? If not I'm ordering enthusiast tonight!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:34 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Durametric

Last edited by estrellajon; 10-01-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Personally I think that for what you get at the price youre paying, the seeminly lack of support and having to tote around a laptop with an outdated OS, neither of the Durametric options appear to be worth it.

To be fair I've also seen in this and other posts that true enthusiasts and very well versed mechanical and technology oriented persons seem to find these the Durametric products fulfilling.

However, for those of us who do not track their cars nor burn incense to the Porsche gods in the sky on a daily or even weekly basis, it's just an over priced tool. Most of us mortals just want to reset service indicators and maybe even see fault codes that can point us to and indicate the severity of a problem.

Please take a look at this link and reach your own conclusions. I for one and as "new" owner am leaning towards the iCarsoft-II.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-icarsoft.html
Old 09-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
Personally I think that for what you get at the price youre paying, the seeminly lack of support and having to tote around a laptop with an outdated OS, neither of the Durametric options appear to be worth it.

To be fair I've also seen in this and other posts that true enthusiasts and very well versed mechanical and technology oriented persons seem to find these the Durametric products fulfilling.

However, for those of us who do not track their cars nor burn incense to the Porsche gods in the sky on a daily or even weekly basis, it's just an over priced tool. Most of us mortals just want to reset service indicators and maybe even see fault codes that can point us to and indicate the severity of a problem.

Please take a look at this link and reach your own conclusions. I for one and as "new" owner am leaning towards the iCarsoft-II.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-icarsoft.html
I am glad there are alternatives popping up... competition is good.

icarsoft = $183
Durametric Enthusiast $287

Only you can determine the value of this difference. The difference I see lean heavily in favor of the Durametric, but then I plan, and have used the tool for diagnostics beyond codes. So.... if anyone can shed light on the following issues as I see them, please post:

1- Durametric has a few extra sentences that describe the codes beyond the code name. Does icarsoft have this expanded explanation? Is this neccessary/
2 - Both reset service reminders. Some have posted problems doing this with Durametric, it works fine and super easy for my 997.2 and two of my friend's 997.1s
3 - Durametric does activations and icarsoft does not. Activations are when you can click and turn on a fan and a host of other things.... I feel this is very important if you are a DIYr and really want to test out possible faults
4 - Durametric can read live values and icarsoft does not. You can read cam shaft position, ignition timing, o2 sensor output.... and whole boatload of data. This stuff is way beyond me, but it you are a hardcore DIYr or a professional (my indy uses Durametric for his shop on the newer Porsches) and you need to know what is going on inside the engine, you will need this.

So, for $100 extra bucks, it appears to be one heck of a value over the icarsoft. But, if all you want to do is see the code and reset a service reminder, then why spend the extra hundred.

Just my opinion.

By the way, I just read this consumer opinion on Amazon for the icarsoft product: "No it will not reset oil service light, it is a standard OBDII that only does diagnosis. The description should be more detailed as this device is not Porsche specific. Really not sure why the Porsche name is used on this.I returned it just for that reason. I bought the Autel OLS301. This worked perfect for me on my Carrera S"

Regarding the "outdated OS"... I am not sure what you are referring to.. Mac? I use Durametric under Windows 7 and now under Windows 10 and it works just fine. Just fine even though the Durametric website does not say anything about Win 10. I just tuned on the onboard computer in a friend's 2002 C2 Cab last weekend with it, under Win 10. (You can't turn on the computer, a "command", with the icarsoft product as I undersand it.)

It sounds like I am Durametric fan.... I am not, but I am a user and while I find the product quirky and support ... well odd... but I am pretty amazed by what it can do. These products are hacks. They are reverse engineered so they are subject to being flawed. Now a simple OBDII reader is an open standard and can (should) read the basic OBDII codes. Manufactures can then add on their own diagnostic codes and definitions and that is proprietary. Does the icarsoft do the expanded Porsche codes and their descriptions? I don't know if they do or to what extent, but Durametric does (or at least has a pretty good library with expanded definitions).

From Durametric's website describing OBDII vs their expanded product:

http://www.durametric.com/obd2comparison.aspx

http://www.durametric.com/porschereadcodes.aspx

They imply service reminder resets are available in the enthusiast model but do not explicitly say this. They say only coding is available in the Pro unit and that is the difference between the two. Resetting service reminder is not in the coding section therefore should be available in both models:
http://www.durametric.com/ServiceRem...esetVideo.aspx

Again, I am sounding like a salesperson for the product. I am not. But what is motivating me is that I am reading on forums that the icarsoft is a cheaper alternative to a badly supported Durametric and I think these two products are so different, they should not be compared to each other. If you dissagree please post to help others making this purchase decision.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-30-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Brother Bruce, although you make several mentions of your not being an advocate or salesman for Durametric, you do make a very strong effort to point out their virtues and how well the product has worked for you... which is OK!

Personally I find myself as being a mere "...mortal that just wants to reset service indicators and maybe even see fault codes that can point us to and indicate the severity of a problem.". Like I said, my needs are very, very basic. To the point that it pisses me off to have to consider an external tool to do something that I can routinely do (oil and service indicators) via steering wheel functions on my MB and BMW.

As far as the hardware and software requirements go, heck I don't even have nor never even had a laptop! But I do have one hell of a souped up gaming desktop, 31" monitor and all the other right stuff. So I don't see myself lugging all this equipment out to my garage to read codes or reset indicators. BTW, for my more mundane needs I have a 10" tablet.

As far as posting what I agree or disagree with your well versed defense of the Durametric options... Again, that was not my intent and if it was perceived as such, then I humbly extend my apologies. My intent was to voice my opinion, my needs and to point to a long post in another forum where this topic was discussed "ad nauseam".

Peace and love to you Brother Bruce in Philly.

Quick Reply: Durametric question