Sponsored by:

Durametric question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

With my Durametric Pro I've coded comfort windows up/down with leftovers on both my '05s, done the side marker to blinker change on both cars, used the ABS Pump activation feature after allowing my reservoir to run dry during a brake fluid flush (oops), used Live values tracking of throttle position sensor, MAF values, intake air temp, and a couple other things when troubleshooting a rough running condition that turned out to be a broken ground to the MAF. i've also tracked some misfires that I could feel to see which cylinders were experiencing it, which led me to a bad O2 sensor.

If you have the ability to do this type of diagnostics and need activations capability for some service items, then Durametric seems like it's worth the price Delta, and if you want to do coding (on a .1) then maybe step up to the pro version as well.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
Brother Bruce, although you make several mentions of your not being an advocate or salesman for Durametric, you do make a very strong effort to point out their virtues and how well the product has worked for you... which is OK!

Personally I find myself as being a mere "...mortal that just wants to reset service indicators and maybe even see fault codes that can point us to and indicate the severity of a problem.". Like I said, my needs are very, very basic. To the point that it pisses me off to have to consider an external tool to do something that I can routinely do (oil and service indicators) via steering wheel functions on my MB and BMW.

As far as the hardware and software requirements go, heck I don't even have nor never even had a laptop! But I do have one hell of a souped up gaming desktop, 31" monitor and all the other right stuff. So I don't see myself lugging all this equipment out to my garage to read codes or reset indicators. BTW, for my more mundane needs I have a 10" tablet.

As far as posting what I agree or disagree with your well versed defense of the Durametric options... Again, that was not my intent and if it was perceived as such, then I humbly extend my apologies. My intent was to voice my opinion, my needs and to point to a long post in another forum where this topic was discussed "ad nauseam".

Peace and love to you Brother Bruce in Philly.
Ya, I went off on that one!

As I understand it, there are many OBDII code readers on the market and some say they can read Porsche-specific codes... and can be had for under $100.

A friend gave me a CarMD OBDII reader that they say will work on Porsches... I did use it on my Boxster. Their gimmick is you hook to their on-line database and get helpful information. It had zippo for my Boxster but a ton on my Mom's Camry..... found a bad O2 sensor.

From what I read, resetting the service reminder is the flip to a more sophisticated product and the icarsoft is one.

Happy hunting.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-01-2015, 06:33 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Also to those who complain (rightly so) about lack of durametric support and manuals, I am making a coding options manual for it (big job) which should help a lot of people out:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ns-manual.html

Quick Reply: Durametric question