PDK - Transmission emergency run - Error codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:07 PM
craigieh
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK - Transmission emergency run - Error codes

Hi All,

I am proud owner of a 2009 997.2 C4S with PDK and have had her about a year. She is fully serviced by PMD and currently at 68K miles.
About 3 weeks ago we were driving steadily along and we received the "Transmission Fault - Transmission emergency run" warning light, and the gearbox went into limp mode.

I got her home, turned off, turned back on again and all seemed well.

Then about a week later, the same happened again and after taking a look, finding the low voltage as a possible cause given the non-daily usage. Fully charged battery, and again intermittently the warning kicks in.

I have now got a ODB2 device and Torque and have found the following error codes:

Vehicle VIN: WP0ZZZ99Z9S715539
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: 99761863924_1097ª

Current Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no current faults

Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
P2314: Ignition Coil E Secondary Circuit
P0355: Ignition Coil "E" Primary/Secondary Circuit
B2AAA: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web

End of report.

Having looked I cant find the breakdown of the Porsche error codes, and I think im now coming to the end of my self diagnosis phase!

She is booked in at Leicester (UK) end of the week, where she has just had a full service. I had mentioned it to them, so cant claim their service is a probable factor

Any ideas guys? I also have her booked in at Motawork for a gearbox oil change and filter week after next, but if I can get any other ideas before spending yet more money at the stealers, that would be welcome!
Old 09-28-2015, 04:47 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

How old is the car battery?

Sounds odd, but try changing that.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:54 PM
craigieh
2nd Gear

Hi - yes I had read that and having checked, its an aftermarket battery. I had fully charged it over a couple of nights and it has the charge control light showing as green:

Not sure what the spec should be - but it seems to be ok (and took two days of charging!)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Maf Racer
6th Gear

Default PDK - Transmission emergency run - Error codes

craigieh,
What ended up happening on this issue? I have the same fault appearing on mine. I also have a Check Engine light that comes on 5 seconds after the Transmission message and one cylinder drops out.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by craigieh
Hi All,

I am proud owner of a 2009 997.2 C4S with PDK and have had her about a year. She is fully serviced by PMD and currently at 68K miles.
About 3 weeks ago we were driving steadily along and we received the "Transmission Fault - Transmission emergency run" warning light, and the gearbox went into limp mode.

Then about a week later, the same happened again and after taking a look, finding the low voltage as a possible cause given the non-daily usage. Fully charged battery, and again intermittently the warning kicks in.

I have now got a ODB2 device and Torque and have found the following error codes:

Current Fault Log
------------------

Pending Fault Log
------------------

Historic Fault Log
------------------

End of report.

Having looked I cant find the breakdown of the Porsche error codes, and I think im now coming to the end of my self diagnosis phase!

She is booked in at Leicester (UK) end of the week, where she has just had a full service. I had mentioned it to them, so cant claim their service is a probable factor

Any ideas guys? I also have her booked in at Motawork for a gearbox oil change and filter week after next, but if I can get any other ideas before spending yet more money at the stealers, that would be welcome!
Probably not what anyone wants to hear but this sounds almost identical to what happened to the PDK in my -09 C4S. Had the "Transmission emergency run" scenario twice. Turned the car off and all was back to normal when restarted. Third time it happened killed it. Flatbed to the dealer where the PDK was replaced under warranty. Billed at $14,000. Problem was diagnosed as software related.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:18 AM
billywenk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by craigieh
Hi All,

Current Fault Log
------------------

Pending Fault Log
------------------

Historic Fault Log
------------------

End of report.

Hi,

Sorry about the misfortunes you are having! I plugged the codes in to my database to provide you with the code descriptions, and maybe offering some insight.

P2314

Diagnosis Information - DME (DFI)

Bar ignition module on cylinder 5 - SoftShutDown

NOTE:
- The bar ignition module cannot be tested as it is an active component. If a faulty bar ignition module is diagnosed, the connection to the engine ground must be checked before replacing the module as otherwise a faulty engine ground connection will damage the new bar ignition module.
- If both a driver fault and [SoftShutDown] are entered, the driver fault is the cause.
- If only [SoftShutDown] is entered, excessive coil charging time is the cause.

Diagnostic conditions
- Battery positive voltage between 10 V and 16 V
- Time after engine starts > 2 seconds
- Engine temperature > -30 °C (-22 °F)
- No driver fault stored

Possible fault causes
- Short circuit to B+
- Short circuit to ground
- Open circuit
- Fuse D7 faulty
- Bar ignition module faulty
P0355

Diagnosis Information - DME (DFI)

Bar ignition module, cylinder 5

NOTE:
- The bar ignition module cannot be tested as it is an active component. If a faulty bar ignition module is diagnosed, the connection to the engine ground must be checked before replacing the module as otherwise a faulty engine ground connection will damage the new bar ignition module.

Diagnostic conditions
- Battery positive voltage between 10 V and 16 V
- Time after engine starts > 2 seconds
- Engine temperature > -30 °C (-22 °F)

Possible fault causes
- Short circuit to B+
- Short circuit to ground
- Open circuit
- Fuse D7 faulty
- Bar ignition module faulty
As far "B2AAA" I will have to check on PIWIS TSI tomorrow at the office if you would like. Sounds like the DME could be giving issues but is hard to diagnose without having the car in person to run a series of test on it.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:23 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

I had the same strange error code with the ignition coil. At the end I needed a new PDK.
Correction: my error code was for the O2 sensor...
Old 06-13-2016, 11:19 AM
nk215
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a $14K bill for a software related problem? I thought fixing software related problems are all in labor charges.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:58 AM
liu2k3
5th Gear

Hi Craigieh:
can you update the result of your PDK? cause mine has some issues.

Quick Reply: PDK - Transmission emergency run - Error codes