Sponsored by:

PDK Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 04:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts
Default PDK Leak

What Porsche needs to do is offer a blow up PDK diagram of every nook and cranny alongside a very clear repair manual/combined with parts readily available.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

The 997 manual gearbox is one of the best in the business, robust, durable and feels "just right." 991 owners weren't so lucky.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:00 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, especially since this issue will only get exponentially worse as more and more PDK's are sold.

I know if I get another hairline crack in mine in a few years I'm going to be extremely pissed if they tell me it needs to be replaced, AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by caitov
Yeah, especially since this issue will only get exponentially worse as more and more PDK's are sold.

I know if I get another hairline crack in mine in a few years I'm going to be extremely pissed if they tell me it needs to be replaced, AGAIN.
I'm glad I didn't enjoy PDK on the street like I expected, I feel like I would be always slightly nervous about one until Porsche starts training dealers how to fix them and not just replacing the whole unit
Old 09-11-2015, 05:42 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Getting the car in the first gear?! Are you for real?

Gears don't slip,the clutch does from burning it by people that don't know how to drive a manual properly.
My bad, you're right the clutch slips, typo. But the point is that manual transmissions have issues and that includes the driver not being able to but the car into gear because of some issue. Bad driver, good driver it doesn't matter. It can break.
No one is debating that PDK's are less expensive to repair/replace. If you want a car that's cheap and easy to maintain buy a civic.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:51 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
What Porsche needs to do is offer a blow up PDK diagram of every nook and cranny alongside a very clear repair manual/combined with parts readily available.
Its puzzling to me why they haven't done this yet. It's been almost 7 years.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:27 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Its puzzling to me why they haven't done this yet. It's been almost 7 years.
Probably because the current scheme is more profitable. Owners with a defective PDK pay $15K for a replacement. The busted one Porsche keeps may only need a $50 electronic component and then it's ready to be sold to the next victim who needs a replacement. Repeat this often enough and it adds up to real money.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Para82
Race Car

Most profitable auto manufacturer in the world, if I recall they average $23,000 USD per 991 sold. That's a bad deal.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:57 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Para82
Most profitable auto manufacturer in the world, if I recall they average $23,000 USD per 991 sold. That's a bad deal.
I remember a G.M. that told me quite proudly that "Porsche makes 1 less car than the market will bear". He was a smug little f@%&, who is no longer the G.M. at Suncoast.

Waiting list for a GT4, can't give Caymans away.

This PDK situation is for the birds. It seems fairly reliable, but PNA is going to stroke it for every dime they can.
It is a little like being held hostage by them.

When you've got them by the PDKs, their hearts and minds will follow...

Last edited by hot nikon; 09-12-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:09 PM
rankoutsider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So finally an update...

Porsche has come to the party with a new PDK, I just need to cover part of the labour and buy a years extended warranty. No word on whether its a new or refurb unit.

Kind of good news, I am still $4K out of pocket - which is better than where I started from.

The lesson I guess is if you have a PDK, get a warranty if your worried. If it goes wrong the only people who can work on it are Porsche Dealers and they are very limited in the scope of work they can do before having to replace the unit.

I'll get it fixed as I don't feel good about passing it on, even to a BMW dealer, with issues. I've got a fully loaded new M4 on the way (December delivery) to replace my 997.2 as my DD.

I am on the hunt for a (manual) air-cooled as we speak.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by rankoutsider
So finally an update...

Porsche has come to the party with a new PDK, I just need to cover part of the labour and buy a years extended warranty. No word on whether its a new or refurb unit.

Kind of good news, I am still $4K out of pocket - which is better than where I started from.

The lesson I guess is if you have a PDK, get a warranty if your worried. If it goes wrong the only people who can work on it are Porsche Dealers and they are very limited in the scope of work they can do before having to replace the unit.

I'll get it fixed as I don't feel good about passing it on, even to a BMW dealer, with issues. I've got a fully loaded new M4 on the way (December delivery) to replace my 997.2 as my DD.

Excellent! That is what I expected, especially if the customer works with the Porsche dealer and has kept up with the proper maintenance, including PDK maintenance.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

porsche sucks.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 801 Posts

Very happy to see they stepped up, at least a bit, for you.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:29 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rankoutsider
So finally an update...

I've really debated jumping into this thread, but decided I would as there is some misinformation being discussed.

But first to the OP - very happy to hear you got some relief, while your out of pocket is not $0, I suppose it is an acceptable arrangement between yourself and the dealer/PAG.

I won't and can't debate the merits of PDK versus manual, I have both, like both and really have had little issue with either. I have had PDK repairs done, by the my dealer, so they do happen. In fact, in Aug of 2012 PAG issues a technical bulletin describing methods and parts to repair certain problems with the PDK - because they found in many of the returned PDK's the problems were not so severe and could be locally repaired. It is cheaper (more cost effective) for all parties. This bulletin is always being updated, the most recent one I have seen is 2014 vintage. Ask your service manager if he/she can give you a copy. It is called PDK Transmission Diagnosis: Symptoms and Repair Procedure (35/09).

While it is very true a majority of PDK problems still say "replace the PDK unit" there are more and more than can be handled at the dealer service department. Unfortunately not yet at an indy shop. I have written in a few other threads where certain PDK fluid leaks can be repaired and in my case the temperature sensor was repaired. As PAG learns what causes the failures, and if those are major or minor, I am hopeful the balance shifts from replace full unit to repair selected part. Time will tell. The PDK is a good transmission, but it is electro-mechanical and they do break. And when it breaks the potential for excessive costs exist. But as I have noted above, this has changed since 2009 to today. And I am hopeful it will continue to change and become even more a locally repairable item.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Only buy manual transmissions. At least enthusiasts that hang on these forums should never ever buy an automatic. Let Porsche keep their 14K $ headache. They will build what the majority of customers request.

Buy manuals=no headache!

Quick Reply: PDK Leak