Sponsored by:

PDK Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:41 PM
rankoutsider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PDK Leak

Just got off the phone from the service department here in Brisbane and I am gutted.

What was IMO a minor issue of an oil leak from my PDK into the wiring loom turns out to be a major drama requiring a full PDK replacement.

To add some excitement into the mix - my vehicle is of course out of warranty.

A replacement PDK is around $18KAUD.

I'm at the point where I am thinking of trading the vehicle for another brand - probably an M4 - asap.

I am feeling so very disappointed - like I finally got a date with Jennifer Anniston, only to find she has a scorching case of herpes...
Old 09-09-2015, 01:47 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't blame you. Is gutted anything liked f**ked? (sorry but really?). This is the second post I've seen lately about a PDK issue requiring replacement at an obscene price. I assume you've tried to appeal to Porsche Customer Satisfaction or the equivalent. Manufacturing defect obviously. They should help you out here. Ugh!
Old 09-09-2015, 01:56 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rankoutsider
I am feeling so very disappointed - like I finally got a date with Jennifer Anniston, only to find she has a scorching case of herpes...

Hold on..... what?!?!!? You got a date with Jennifer Anniston?
Old 09-09-2015, 02:09 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

that really sucks.
I hope that they may be able to help you with this - perhaps at least a 50/50 split of the cost.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Yep...there is no fix for anything PDK...small leak...replace. Porsche doesn't sell any parts for PDK and there is zero aftermarket for PDK.

There is no way I'd own a late model Porsche today without a warranty, especially with PDK. PDK is the real deal performance transmission but there is no way to fix it.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

If there is no way to fix it why does porsche have a technical thingy regarding replacement of Pdk parts. I remember seeing it when my Pdk software was upgraded
Old 09-09-2015, 10:22 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a few years ago, my son's 996 Cab, which was out of his CPO warranty, "lunched" the engine due to the IMS failing. He had bought it used, from a different dealer, but his local dealer appealed to Porsche, and they provided a replacement engine, if he paid costs to do the installation. Now, he was scheduled in a few days to participate in a Porsche factory driving event, and maybe they did not want him badmouthing Porsche cars to other prospective Porsche enthusiasts at the event.

As for your costs of repair, I am in the same situation now. My own '07 GT3, a thousand miles after the routine replacement of the Bosch spark plugs with same, dropped an electrode into a cylinder, causing what is approaching a $10 K cost to make my engine right again. A five dollar part likely causing my engine's damage. My wife was pretty adamantly against keeping our GT3 after owning in for a year. But being retired, I have had to go back to part time work to pay for the cost of the repair.

All I can say is I truly feel your pain and anguish over the failure of your transmission. Porsche's are great sports cars, but when something goes wrong, it is really really expensive.

All the best...
Old 09-09-2015, 11:40 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 435 Likes on 174 Posts

That is terrible news.
I have seen several PDK transmissions available from time to time on eBay for around $5k.
May be an option to consider?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-...item23587d3949
Old 09-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

You heard it here first. Jennifer Anniston has a scorching case of the herps.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 274 Posts

This sucks! Is it leaking that much? I would try to find a local Indi to see if they can stop the leak before spending thousands on a new PDK. Run it to the ground!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:28 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

PDK in Honolulu traffic sound so tempting but all this PDK replacement scare me. May be Tiptronic tranny is not bad after all. Sorry OP
Old 09-09-2015, 06:26 PM
rankoutsider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After having a night to sleep on it - I am fairly well decided that I'll ditch the Porsche for a brand new M4. I'll look around for an older model for a project\track day car.

In the end, I think the main issue is that Porsche do not allow much scope for service or repair for the PDK. The dealer tried to source a new wiring loom and o-ring but these are not available. Indies do not have the skills, tools or contacts to do any kind of PDK servicing - beyond an oil change perhaps (you need PIWIS for this though).

PDK-like transmissions are certainly the way of the future - and they make a great choice when you want a versatile car that can be a commuter as well as a sports car. I just wish they were easier to service.

I've never owned a vehicle that needed a new transmission at 75K km and I've had some pretty crappy cars like Land Rovers, Jeeps and my Ford Telstar when I was at University. Yes, it's a mechanical thing which invariably could and probably will go wrong - and its probably not a reflection of the brand overall. I'd always wanted a Porsche and this experience has really tainted my view of the brand.

Thanks for the support.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts
Default PDK Leak

Sorry about your trouble.
I wish you would've asked here before you bought the car... Or maybe you did and I've missed it. You don't buy automatic sport cars. Manual only! Then your experience would've been different.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:50 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just got off the phone from the service department here in Brisbane and I am gutted.

What was IMO a minor issue of an oil leak from my PDK into the wiring loom turns out to be a major drama requiring a full PDK replacement.

To add some excitement into the mix - my vehicle is of course out of warranty.

A replacement PDK is around $18KAUD.

I'm at the point where I am thinking of trading the vehicle for another brand - probably an M4 - asap.

It is the myth of high technology. New energy efficient washing machines that don't clean as well as old ones. Water saving toilets that you have to flush twice. Electronic computer controlled suspensions with shocks that cost two and three times more than a simple Koni. And of course F1 level automated transmissions that no one can fix when they break. For everyone in love with the "brave new world" I suggest they read "The Collapse of Complex Societies" by Joseph Tainter and "Antifragile" by Nassim Taleb. PDK may be the point of diminishing returns.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

After having a night to sleep on it - I am fairly well decided that I'll ditch the Porsche for a brand new M4. I'll look around for an older model for a project\track day car.

In the end, I think the main issue is that Porsche do not allow much scope for service or repair for the PDK. The dealer tried to source a new wiring loom and o-ring but these are not available. Indies do not have the skills, tools or contacts to do any kind of PDK servicing - beyond an oil change perhaps (you need PIWIS for this though).

PDK-like transmissions are certainly the way of the future - and they make a great choice when you want a versatile car that can be a commuter as well as a sports car. I just wish they were easier to service.

I've never owned a vehicle that needed a new transmission at 75K km and I've had some pretty crappy cars like Land Rovers, Jeeps and my Ford Telstar when I was at University. Yes, it's a mechanical thing which invariably could and probably will go wrong - and its probably not a reflection of the brand overall. I'd always wanted a Porsche and this experience has really tainted my view of the brand.

Thanks for the support.
I would not give up. Your dealer should put out the necessary effort to engage PAG and have the issue resolved out of goodwill.

Quick Reply: PDK Leak