Sponsored by:

PDK Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
It is the myth of high technology. New energy efficient washing machines that don't clean as well as old ones. Water saving toilets that you have to flush twice. Electronic computer controlled suspensions with shocks that cost two and three times more than a simple Koni. And of course F1 level automated transmissions that no one can fix when they break. For everyone in love with the "brave new world" I suggest they read "The Collapse of Complex Societies" by Joseph Tainter and "Antifragile" by Nassim Taleb. PDK may be the point of diminishing returns.
PDK is not bleeding edge. PAG has developed the system since the 80s. What usually fails in a PDK is an electronic or hydraulic controller, which in a similar form is also present in a standard automatic transmission. If anything, PDK has proven to be remarkably reliable. Given the negativity towards it from certain customers, when one fails, the Web projects a sky is falling scare. Nonsense!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
PDK is not bleeding edge. PAG has developed the system since the 80s. What usually fails in a PDK is an electronic or hydraulic controller, which in a similar form is also present in a standard automatic transmission. If anything, PDK has proven to be remarkably reliable. Given the negativity towards it from certain customers, when one fails, the Web projects a sky is falling scare. Nonsense!
I agree!!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:17 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
I agree!!

Yup. Very few PDK issues. Tiptronics have their fair share of issues and so do manuals.

Anything mechanical is prone to breaking. The issue is that Porsche's current fix is to replace the whole transmission which at this point in time is ridiculous.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:37 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Yup. Very few PDK issues. Tiptronics have their fair share of issues and so do manuals.

Anything mechanical is prone to breaking. The issue is that Porsche's current fix is to replace the whole transmission which at this point in time is ridiculous.
When it was first introduced and nobody but the factory knew how to work on them, it could be excused but seven years later? Especially since there are indications that some of the failures are due to fairly inexpensive electronic components. That seems to have been the case with the failed PDK in my -09 C4S. My dealer pulled some codes and that's what they concluded.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts
Default PDK Leak

What problems do you know with manual transmissions? There aren't any. Those that had synchro problems or required a rebuild were driven very hard on the track. You will have ZERO problems with a manual on the street. And stop comparing manuals with PDKs.the cost is not even close,even if they require a rebuild.

OP,I hope Porsche will step up somehow and you will stay with the brand,but if you do go with BMW,remember that their DCTs aren't better either.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:39 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

OP - Sorry to hear that.
My PDK had the same issue at around 20k miles. Noticed a very small leak and the result was they had to replace the entire transmission as I was told they do not service them. I was under warranty so for me that was preferable.

I would really hope Porsche would step up for what is obviously just a defect, but couldn't blame you for wanting to ditch it for another brand.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Was this a launch car. If so this is at least the second pdk replacement needed thread in past few weeks.

Manufacture date in 08, first pdk transmissions.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:55 PM
rankoutsider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Was this a launch car. If so this is at least the second pdk replacement needed thread in past few weeks.

Manufacture date in 08, first pdk transmissions.

Yep a launch car.

As to the other comments - its not me bashing Porsche technology here. I chose a PDK coz thats what I wanted and it suits my needs. In so far as not being a "proper" sports car because its (essentially) an auto...well, thats probably an argument for another thread.

My issue is (perhaps I am bashing Porsche after all) is the fact that they do not let the dealer even order parts, let alone provide training to adequately service a critical drivetrain component. My dealer and Porsche Australia have bent over backwards to help, but without replacement parts being available there is little they can do. They are already giving me more than 50% off the replacement (usual price AUD $38K).

Anyways, the decisions made...signed for an M4 today. The corporate program I am with gets me 5 year warranty and free servicing for that period. So we'll see how it goes I suppose. I'll be on the hunt for a 964 era coupe in the meantime.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:02 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ask the Porsche Dealer for a sit-down discussion of your situation
Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Linnm
I would ask the Porsche Dealer for a sit-down discussion of your situation
If I was asked to pay for a PDK replacement out of pocket for any reason short of catastrophic failure due to abuse I would hire a lawyer in Germany to oversee the teardown and confirm what exactly needed to be repaired and what the cost would be. As stated earlier in this thread, there are suggestions that some of these $15,000 replacements are done because of failures of low cost electronic components.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:46 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If the PDK can't be fixed without paying the 18kAUD premium than I suggest you patch up that leak, polish some money into that paint and sell that car ASAP.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:50 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rankoutsider
Yep a launch car.

As to the other comments - its not me bashing Porsche technology here. I chose a PDK coz thats what I wanted and it suits my needs. In so far as not being a "proper" sports car because its (essentially) an auto...well, thats probably an argument for another thread.

My issue is (perhaps I am bashing Porsche after all) is the fact that they do not let the dealer even order parts, let alone provide training to adequately service a critical drivetrain component. My dealer and Porsche Australia have bent over backwards to help, but without replacement parts being available there is little they can do. They are already giving me more than 50% off the replacement (usual price AUD $38K).

Anyways, the decisions made...signed for an M4 today. The corporate program I am with gets me 5 year warranty and free servicing for that period. So we'll see how it goes I suppose. I'll be on the hunt for a 964 era coupe in the meantime.
M4 paired with a 964 would be awesome.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:16 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
What problems do you know with manual transmissions? There aren't any. Those that had synchro problems or required a rebuild were driven very hard on the track. You will have ZERO problems with a manual on the street. And stop comparing manuals with PDKs.the cost is not even close,even if they require a rebuild.

OP,I hope Porsche will step up somehow and you will stay with the brand,but if you do go with BMW,remember that their DCTs aren't better either.
The statement that Manual Transmissions are trouble free is ridiculous. Anything that is mechanical is prone to break. Zero problems on the street??? Seriously?

So people with manual transmission have never had issues getting the car into 1st gear? Gears never slipped? Hmm...
Old 09-11-2015, 04:03 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts
Default PDK Leak

The statement that Manual Transmissions are trouble free is ridiculous. Anything that is mechanical is prone to break. Zero problems on the street??? Seriously?

So people with manual transmission have never had issues getting the car into 1st gear? Gears never slipped? Hmm...
Getting the car in the first gear?! Are you for real?

Gears don't slip,the clutch does from burning it by people that don't know how to drive a manual properly.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

He's got a point. The failure rate on street driven, non-tracked manual transmissions is infinitesimal. Sure, you may have some balky shifting or a slightly salty synchro, but these hardly ever fail outright and usually will easily last over 100k miles without issue.

The minor issues with manuals can be annoying, but they don't result in a "tranny fault, tow to dealer" and $18k repairs.

Quick Reply: PDK Leak