Sponsored by:

Carrying Wheels Inside (!!!) 997

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 02:38 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts
Question Carrying Wheels Inside (!!!) 997

I swear there was a thread where someone did a DIY on how to get four wheels with tires mounted inside a 997 for transporting to a track but I cannot find it.

Does anyone have the best method in which to do this or can you point me to the previous thread/post?
Old 09-04-2015, 03:19 PM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe it can be done without a trailer or roof rack.
I once had the occasion to change a flat in my 996 with 17 inch wheels.
That one wheel with tire would not fit in frunk, It did fit in back with seats folded
down and passenger seat moved forward. There would be no way I
could put four in my old 996 coupe.

Last edited by DB's997; 09-04-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:35 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I picked up two rear 305 tires. Couldn't see out the back window, couldn't see out the passenger window. Nothing else would fit in there.
Sounds like two trips for you.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

I can barely fit the crap I already bring......

But yeah, I would be really interested if someone has found a solution. The only things I've seen are custom roof rack and trailer with rear tow hook.

Both methods are not "by the book" safe as I think the roof mount way exceeds the stated weight limit of the rack and the tow part is not exactly a safe way to tow anything.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:06 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

No way, not 19s at least and doubt 18s wheels/tires would either. I had two tires, my rears in the car to get them put on and it took up the front seat and pretty much the back, so if anything, with the right angles, maybe 3 at the most but no way 4 wheels and tires going in the car.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by pkancel
No way, not 19s at least and doubt 18s wheels/tires would either. I had two tires, my rears in the car to get them put on and it took up the front seat and pretty much the back, so if anything, with the right angles, maybe 3 at the most but no way 4 wheels and tires going in the car.
I agree. Couldn't even get two unmounted front tires in my car last week. Granted, the GT2 bucket seats in my car are pretty deep in the back so there was no way to get past those for access to the back seats. But even with regular seats I don't see how you could ever put three wheels with mounted tires in the backseat area unless you break the rear window.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:56 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone posted about 1-3 months ago regarding their roof rack for tires, and addressed specific concerns about how it exceeds the stated weight limits, but he was doing this for many years and possibly on different models with absolutely no issues. He was reassuring and convincing.

It was definitely a roof rack.

Edit: Of course, it was tires/wheels
Old 09-05-2015, 05:00 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the followup thread after he got a lot of inquiries based on what I posted above:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...e-carrier.html
Old 09-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Um.... may be (a big "may be") by removing the front passenger seat, and the rear seat back? Good to loose those weight anyway for the track!
Old 09-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,724 Likes on 4,277 Posts

I've done it with 4 19" tires multiple times, however, because the kids sit in car seats, my factory rear seat backs are not in the car which could affect the ability to do this. Get 55 gallon drum liners (trash bags) and put each tire into one, which will let them slide around as you arrange them and prevent damage to your interior.

The first one goes in horizontally in the back and partly sits up on the parcel shelf (cover it with a towel so it doesn't mess up your rear window tint or defrost wires).

The next 2 go in vertically - one in each rear seat. You hold up the first one you put partly on the shelf when doing this and once in place these 2 will hold up the part the first one that needs to be in mid air.

The last one goes vertically into the passenger seat. You'll have to play around with the seat positions and angles, but I'm 6'1" and do a 2 hour drive to my preferred tore shop to have new tires mounted, alignment, and high-speed balance done.

Take a pic when you get the puzzle put together and good luck.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:22 AM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Someone with a 996 managed to do it but those are smaller tires than what a 997 uses. Also, the 996 allowed one wheel to fit in the frunk which is impossible in the 997 afaik.

https://rennlist.com/forums/autocros...ml#post7926967

Anyway, the only way I can see it being done in a 997 is as Petza described. Removing the rear seat backs and pads is probably required. Also, deflating the tires might help a bit. I ought to figure out how to do this since I wouldn't mind being able to bring my track wheels to the track rather than driving there on them.

I think the best solution might be a roof rack carrying 2 wheels as to not go over the weight limit, and then 2 in the back seats. This still gives you space for a passenger.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:27 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Carrying Wheels Inside (!!!) 997

Originally Posted by Petza914
I've done it with 4 19" tires multiple times, however, because the kids sit in car seats, my factory rear seat backs are not in the car which could affect the ability to do this. Get 55 gallon drum liners (trash bags) and put each tire into one, which will let them slide around as you arrange them and prevent damage to your interior.

The first one goes in horizontally in the back and partly sits up on the parcel shelf (cover it with a towel so it doesn't mess up your rear window tint or defrost wires).

The next 2 go in vertically - one in each rear seat. You hold up the first one you put partly on the shelf when doing this and once in place these 2 will hold up the part the first one that needs to be in mid air.

The last one goes vertically into the passenger seat. You'll have to play around with the seat positions and angles, but I'm 6'1" and do a 2 hour drive to my preferred tore shop to have new tires mounted, alignment, and high-speed balance done.

Take a pic when you get the puzzle put together and good luck.
This was the description I remember. I will attempt and get back to everyone. I do have the BOSE sub back there so that may be a deal breaker. We shall see!
Old 09-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,724 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
This was the description I remember. I will attempt and get back to everyone. I do have the BOSE sub back there so that may be a deal breaker. We shall see!
Both our 997s have Bose too.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:01 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I cannot remember his name but I thought there was someone with a white GTS that moved from California to New York that posted a picture with all four wheels inside his car. He didn't want to make two trips to the dealership. He had posted several autocross vids but that is as much as I can remember about him.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:51 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

And post a picture here as well once the puzzle is completed

Quick Reply: Carrying Wheels Inside (!!!) 997