Sponsored by:

Ranking of "necessary" 997.1 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:58 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

x2 from Rickdogg82

Big black tape to cover airbag warnings stickers. 10₵ mod.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:28 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

Do not understand the fascination with headlight/side marker light modifications. I could care less about HID or any other head light upgrade.

DC911S has a better list, imo.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:36 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Ranking of "necessary" 997.1 upgrades

Avoid visual upgrades that make it look like a more modern 911 - as a guide, look back to a 964 that has been made to look like a 993, or a 3.2 that has been turned into a 964 look. Use others hindsight to your advantage.

Look for a unique front lip, side skirts, wing of that appeals. New wheels are expensive but make a significant change visually. Upgrade suspension either via DSC if you have PASM and/or replace springs. Exhaust mods are worthwhile.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:03 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaye Bass
Do not understand the fascination with headlight/side marker light modifications. I could care less about HID or any other head light upgrade.

DC911S has a better list, imo.
Jay- your avatar was one of my favorite R & T back pages ever.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:07 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to agree with everyone who think focusing on lights (and to a large extent wheels and 'stance') are not really upgrades. It reminds me of the E36 M3 boards I used to go on 10+ years ago and all they focused on was getting Angel Eye headlights.

I'm in the performance only upgrade path.

That said I did install a Tranzit HD BLU in my car a month ago and am very happy to be able to stream music and make calls.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:49 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Instead of the Denison I would look at the transit blu HF for 100$. Unbeatable value.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:03 PM
sebBo13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Musts imho are (in order of importance):

1) Lowering springs and spacers (I have H&R for both): improves the stance in a way that is hard to describe. The ride is harsher but to me this feels like a 911 should feel like.

2) Fister exhaust: Also hard to describe how much of driving fun this adds. I recently drove a 3.2 Carrera following my 997.1 and was literally blown away by the sound during acceleration.

3) Aluminum pedals (Suncoast I think): Allows for some real heel&toe action.

4) Tranzit Bluetooth: Unbelievable bang for the buck.

If I would ever buy a "new" 997 I would get 1-3 done before I even start driving it.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:02 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a bunch of mods on my C2S

The TPC DSC feels like a must.
Fister sport mufflers also a must.
Spacers, subtle but really look nice.

Numeric ssk is nice but not a must.
Headers, xpipe, highflow cats make the car loud and manly sounding, but not MUST haves.

GT3 throttle body, IPD plenum & CA intake, nice to have, not "need to have"

Tune, I would say is great. I love mine (protomotive) but kind of needs the exhaust and intake are musts to get value out of the tune.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a real treat. I wouldn't say they're a must, but definitely worth trying if you haven't.

Nice tips look great but are not a must. I love the AWE black chrome ones, but have NHP chrome ones on mine. Look the same but not as easy to keep clean as black ones.

I also have sway bars front and rear (eibach) and Bilstein B16's (pasm flavor) coilovers - awesome but also not "must haves"

I agree about the re-wrapped fatter steering wheel, would love one for my car, but not a strictly "must"'have item.

Also, big musts depend on the user. I think track time, track days, and more DE is always a must. The more time you spend learning to drive better the more you realize your car is already built with plenty of stuff to keep you smiling for many years to come, and you will learn what "sport" mods really are important to you.

- dan
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2015, 01:21 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by sebBo13
3) Aluminum pedals (Suncoast I think): Allows for some real heel&toe action.
$500 pedals from suncoast as seen here?

Link

Was looking at a recommended set but 500 for pedals seems excessive.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

There's not really a part of my car that I haven't touched so if you're thinking about a specific mod, I've probably done it to at least one of my 997s and in some cases, both. I go into these projects with a clear vision of what I want the end result to be - I do them because it's what I want for myself, not because it's the popular thing to do or because others think it's cool. Black wheels are a perfect example as starting a couple years ago they were all the rage - I don't like them so I don't put them on my cars. I do what I want for my enjoyment of the car and I don't really concern myself with what it's going to do to the resale value as I don't plan to sell any of them, just add more garage space. My point is do what you want - some will like what you've done and others wont - that's OK as long as you like what you've done.

If you're considering a mod, certainly ask around - you'll get plenty of opinions, which are valuable - some may steer you toward it and others may make a comment that tells you it's completely not for you (i.e. lightened flywheel). The neat thing is there's a lot of variety and a lot of experience here and we are all unified by the same thing - our love for Porsches and more specifically the 997 in this particular forum.

Mod list from memory (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some):
  • Bodywork - check - RUF front and Rear on one with upper wing active aero mod, Vorsteiners on the other with TT active aero rear decklid
  • Lights - check - Dectane LED Rears on both, LED fronts on both, LED clear side markers on both
  • Wheels - check - Champion RS171s on one and GT3s on the other
  • Cooling System - check - 3rd Center Radiator on the RUF, cooler thermostat on both
  • Noselift -check - Cargraphic Airlift on the RUF
  • Brakes - PCCBs on one - dba slotted on the other, GT3 ducts on both
  • Suspension - check - RSS, Bilstein, TPC DSC
  • Clutch Pedal Delay switch- check
  • Pedals - check - RUF pedals in one, stock in the other, but I also have a set of SRP Racing pedals in my 928 which are very nice - lots of design and color options so you can achieve the look you want
  • Transmission - check - SSKs in both cars, RUF shift **** in one
  • Engine - check - RUF Kompresor kit, MantisSport Deep Sump, Spin on Oil Filter Adapter Kit, Fabspeed Intake, RSS motor mounts on one, IPD plenum with EVOMS Intake, spin on filter adapter on the other
  • Exhaust - check - Fabspeed Valvetronic with headers,braided stainless PSM lines, X-pipe, and 200 cell cats and custom RUF tips on one, Gundo on the other
  • Interior - check - Adaptive Sport Seat upgrade, CF trim, steering wheel, Inpelle leather floor mats, Calibre built in radar/laser detector on one, Macassar wood trim on the other, LED interior lights on both
  • Stereo- check - Dension BT500 kit on one with external inputs mounted in the glovebox
  • etc, etc, etc.

Have fun !
Old 09-01-2015, 03:41 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Driver's Education?
Track time?
Double de-clutching?
Soft vs death steering wheel grip?
Proper maintenance?
Oh, yeah, clear side markers. Sorry, I forgot.

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
I'd first go retro and remove/cover the airbag warning sticking on the sun visors.
Correct!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:49 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
No performance mods?

Intake/Exhaust/Headers/Tune

Wheels/Tires/Shocks/Dampers and Lowering Springs or Coilovers

Always must-haves on a normally aspirated car.
Hardly necessary. The most basic 997 car was born to be driven hard from day 1...and will take a flogging and happily ask for more. You must be a BMW guy to think these are must haves for NA car.

The ONLY must-have performance mod/option for a 997 to drive like a real Porsche sports car is Sport Chrono (or after market ECU tune facsimile) on a 997.2 PDK car. That is besides the point on this thread though as OP is referring to a .1 car.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:46 AM
Thedips
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Upgrades and not loose character?

Def would not put upgrading to cheap aftermarket style led lights. Not sure with the fascination I also agree that's what makes the car have more character.

Gundo and clear markers are popular. If anything just tear out the PCM unit and go with someone modern like pioneer or alpine.

Interior bits , ssk and steering wheel already always nice
Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

I forgot about short shifter, Spacers, springs on my car as well.
Most of mine are cosmetic, some are ride centered, Gundo is obviously sound, none really are power improvements. Oh and I also used Akebono European brake pads on my car which have cut back 95% of my brake dust and give me 90% of the grip on the street. When I take it to the track I change brake pads to EBC racing pads which are way better but the dust is incredible.

It's your car, do what feels right to you. There are a lot of purists that don't think we should touch them. Good for them. It's your car, make it YOUR car

BTW,
here are the pedals on my car.

Amazon.com: Manual Aluminum Pedals Pads Covers Fits Porsche 911 996 987 986: Automotive Amazon.com: Manual Aluminum Pedals Pads Covers Fits Porsche 911 996 987 986: Automotive

I would not spend $500 on those Suncoast ones. I like the grip these offer with the rubber nubs
Old 09-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not changing my orange side markers almost out of spite now.

I think the 'musts' are contingent upon use. If you live in a warm climate, and you've purchased a 997 with all-season tires, it'd be a crime against humanity to not put on extreme summer performance tires -- a crime I say!

Anyone asking this question about upgrades also immediately registers themselves as in need of an exhaust enhancement , and the flavor and variety is up to you. Since you don't need to save .005 seconds per lap via an 4000 dollar exhaust set up that will yield 30 HP in some specific part of the rev range,then just upgrade the tame exhaust note to whatever level of aggression you'd like.

The one remaining mod I need to do, which is a must for me, is the oil cap or silicone hose mod on the intake for a bit more intake sound. I am somewhat ignorant to that on the 997.1. If anyone can give me a specific on it, that would be my only remaining 'must'.

Quick Reply: Ranking of "necessary" 997.1 upgrades