More refinded and confortable..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:43 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
damn this looks perfect.

Way better than the weak looking 991 NB but that huge mass of rear bumper still looks off to me. Compare to your own avatar next to it and you see how the rear bumper used to be broken up below the rear lights. Now it's above the rear lights and there's so much plain old bumper left down below. I just can't develop a taste for it.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:15 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Way better than the weak looking 991 NB but that huge mass of rear bumper still looks off to me. Compare to your own avatar next to it and you see how the rear bumper used to be broken up below the rear lights. Now it's above the rear lights and there's so much plain old bumper left down below. I just can't develop a taste for it.
Exactly. If you'll notice, the 991 is the first 911 to have the badging on flexible plastic, and not on the metal rear deck lid. Something about that doesn't sit right, with me. It's just strange to see those iconic badges (all of them at once, no less), flex up and down when you push down on the bumper. It makes the whole car feel less milled-from-billet to me. As you intimated, the rear is almost all bumper. And the three giant horizontal slats are just inelegant, IMO. Don't get me started on the body panel spoiler. Most 991 drivers around my town seem to go for the "popped collar" look, at all speeds (and even when parked), which looks like their trunks are open. Sorry for the mini rant. Just not a fan. The new cars will be an improvement, for sure.

Last edited by Ten Years; 08-13-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:40 AM
SJP3003
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
Exactly. If you'll notice, the 991 is the first 911 to have the badging on flexible plastic, and not on the metal rear deck lid. Something about that doesn't sit right, with me. It's just strange to see those iconic badges (all of them at once, no less), flex up and down when you push down on the bumper. It somehow makes the rear feel less milled-from-billet to me...
I could never put my finger on that, but now that you mention it, it makes absolute sense. It reminds me of a former C5 corvette I had 14 years ago that had "C O R V E T T E" in relief on the plastic bumper.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Front still looks pretty bad... looks clad in plastic (too plasticky/cheap) around the ducts... kinda like poorly applied lipstick (or botox). The rear is attrocious and even worse than the already-awful 991. I think I know why I am okay with the looks of the 991 GT3... it is because the rear wing changes the flow and character of the back enough that it doesn't look nearly as bad as the other 991s.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:48 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

I fully agree with what has been said about the new Porsche 911: front and rear look cheesy and so much like anything else you see on the roads.

However, at the end of the day, Marketing will win, Porsche will release its new "turbo-charged Marvel", Press experts will say that it is the best thing since sliced bread, people will bow and open their checkbook and this new look will creep in and become the new reference.

Yves
Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

Other than reduce emissions and better fuel economy....by a fraction. I don't see anything really as an improvement?
It's not really any faster than a GTS
Plus list from article:
Faster better PDK (okay that is sweet!!)
Infotainment I suppose
Rear Steering (which I thought was an 90's fad is back)

conclusion:
And now a base price of 100K? Jeez....
The car for someone who already owns a GT3 / Lambo / Ferrari and wants a GT car.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:43 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 153 Posts

Rear Steering (which I thought was an 90's fad is back)
The 1990's are calling with the 300ZTT and the Prelude Si yo, (both great cars by the way, I had a 1993 300ZTT)
Old 08-13-2015, 04:11 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I love the pop of the 3.8L.
Turbo's will quieten down that exhaust on the 2017 regular car.
Mind you, the turbo 997 and 991's sound great.
But I would guess they'll bring down the displacement too.
Friend has a 10L v8 old wood boat. Now that's displacement, and that sound is petrolicious.
I also run a 2.5L STi. I though about doing an exhaust, but nothing beats the displacement of the 3.8L.
I trust Porsche will massage the sound of the 2017 to our liking.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 08-13-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:01 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
The 1990's are calling with the 300ZTT and the Prelude Si yo, (both great cars by the way, I had a 1993 300ZTT)
yup, Japanese cars and their 1990's rear steering fad..
Germans are very late to the party by a couple of decades.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...-nissan-300zx/

Old 08-13-2015, 05:33 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
I would also note I still think it looks awesome I am just disgusted automakers are ok with "going green" by increasing fuel economy by 15% not delivering what the customer wants, but what corrupt politicians want. **** a turbo if I wanted that i'd own a 997.1 Turbo. Or i'd own a WRX STI or something. Some cars are cool with turbos, for others it takes away from what they are. GT3 better stay NA forever, fight this stupid *** government regulation please automakers. Or eventually you will not exist; we will be sitting in 6,000 lb electric sedans and falling asleep cuz it's driving for us; driving an old NA 911 will be illegal one day.

-Off my soapbox.
I think I sat by you on a plane once.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
I fully agree with what has been said about the new Porsche 911: front and rear look cheesy and so much like anything else you see on the roads.

However, at the end of the day, Marketing will win, Porsche will release its new "turbo-charged Marvel", Press experts will say that it is the best thing since sliced bread, people will bow and open their checkbook and this new look will creep in and become the new reference.

Yves
Is that what was supposed to happen with the 991? Never caught on with me.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:43 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 305 Likes on 180 Posts

Car manufacturers can't ignore government mandates. Wish he mandates would somehow exclude certain types of cars because of the minimal quantities made but I don't think they do that. I would have also guessed that Porsche as part of VW could avoid most of the cafe regs since the numbers get aver hard across the entire product fleet.

Not sure what we expect. F1 has hybrid tech and turbos ala the 918. That's the future. Gotta fight pollution somehow.

Once Porsche goes down the turbo road in the modern era, the cars are gonna be pretty upgradable. Unfortunately I have a feeling Porsche will go out of their way to make sure that doesn't happen easily. Either by software programming or tiny turbos.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:25 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
wow…. i thought I had a good eye. all i just looked at was the overall shape but you did bring up some really good points. the cut out rear spoiler imo definitely isn't the cleanest of designs.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:05 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That is one ugly ***. From the "BBQ"...to the intakes...to the squinty tail lights. Hell, they should just go ahead and engineer a single tail pipe and call it a Boxster.

I guess I'm stuck with my 997 for awhile.

Quick Reply: More refinded and confortable..