Sponsored by:

Steering wheel recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 06:10 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering wheel recommendation

I'm looking to replace my stock wheel with a non-OEM wheel that has a smaller circumference than stock, fatter grip, and maybe even a flat bottom. I know there are a few shops that do great work with the OEM core, but the overall circumference of the end result once grip is made fatter is a bit large for my taste. I'm looking for something a bit smaller.

Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Love mine from DCT Carbon. I went with the perforated leather so I didn't have to worrry about how well their black leather matched the rest of the leather interior since it's already different. Lots of options for wheel types, materials, colors of leather, colors of stitching, 12 0'clock color band, etc.
Attached Images     
Old 07-21-2015, 05:43 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh. I don't know if I like the look of aftermarket wheels on these cars.

The GT3/GT2 wheels aren't much smaller than the stock ones, either, but I could be wrong.

Why would you want a smaller steering wheel, anyway?
Old 07-21-2015, 07:55 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG
I'm looking to replace my stock wheel with a non-OEM wheel that has a smaller circumference than stock, fatter grip, and maybe even a flat bottom. I know there are a few shops that do great work with the OEM core, but the overall circumference of the end result once grip is made fatter is a bit large for my taste. I'm looking for something a bit smaller.

Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Which wheel don you have now? The one with the triangular air bag is wider than the sport wheel with the round air bag. The sport wheel is pretty small to begin with and looks even smaller when fattened up by one of the after market guys. Just me but anything smaller in circumference than the sport wheel would look out of proportion.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:38 PM
GBG
Pro

Thanks guys for the input and pics. I've got the triangular wheel (non sport) which looks and feels BIG to me. See pic. Just personal taste.

I'm thinking about one of these, both of which are about 40mm smaller than stock (I think). They need an adapter that adds to the price, so in the end they're about the same as the OEM wheel after "fattening" by the experts. I've seen them in one or two 997s and they look great.

Perforated leather with Carbon: http://www.carnewal.com/products/340...er-real-carbon
Perforated Leather: http://www.carnewal.com/products/340...orated-leather

Any thoughts on these steering wheels? Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:15 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG
Thanks guys for the input and pics. I've got the triangular wheel (non sport) which looks and feels BIG to me. See pic. Just personal taste.

I'm thinking about one of these, both of which are about 40mm smaller than stock (I think). They need an adapter that adds to the price, so in the end they're about the same as the OEM wheel after "fattening" by the experts. I've seen them in one or two 997s and they look great.

Perforated leather with Carbon: http://www.carnewal.com/products/340...er-real-carbon
Perforated Leather: http://www.carnewal.com/products/340...orated-leather

Any thoughts on these steering wheels? Thanks.
I don't like either one. A stock sport wheel spruced up to your specs will look much better imo. The wheel you have now has to be one of the worst efforts ever. Wide, skinny and just plain weak looking. Can't imagine what it must feel like in your hands.

Picture of my current wheel attached. Built by Dallas Custom. Never mind all the red screaming at you. Much more subdued in person. More importantly though, you can specify leather, perforated leather, alcantara, stitching color or whatever combo you want including thickness.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts
Default Steering wheel recommendation

Just a thought ... If my wheel were any smaller I'd never be able to see my oil pressure or temperature gauges. Why Porsche put these gauges outboard, at opposite sides, and kept the analog speedometer is beyond my comprehension!
Old 07-21-2015, 11:14 PM
GBG
Pro

Thanks for the good input and helpful opinions!

I agree that my wheel looks like it should be in a Prius, and it feels even weaker than it looks. It's very narrow, like holding a rounded pool cue. It's the stock non-sport wheel for a 997.1.

I will continue to research and ponder...
Old 07-21-2015, 11:30 PM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is what I got and I just love it. Smaller diameter, fatter grip, and "flipper" (mine is a tiptronic and the stock buttons drove me nuts)! It's Gembella branded and the black with red stitching works perfectly for me. I subsequently replaced with Porsche logo.

This wheel is also available (from FVD, I think) without Gembella brand and at a much lower price

Last edited by Psymon; 07-21-2015 at 11:33 PM. Reason: resized photo
Old 07-21-2015, 11:56 PM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just recently installed a wheel from Dallas Custom Steering Wheel (via ebay). Also have the triangular airbag. See the results below - perhaps not the best photos but they show relative size/thickness. Was seriously considering replacing with the OEM sport wheel including the rounded airbag, but I actually think the triangular wheel works better with the interior. Absolutely love the new wheel - my old wheel was the most worn out part of the interior so this thing has made the car feel new again. Love the smell also. Took me a bit of time to adjust to the thickness and softness of the grip but now I think it's awesome. Had to learn to use much less pressure to hold the wheel, sensing what's going on through the fingertips. The car has truly been transformed with this simple change.

The size of the wheel allows me to see all guages but just barely.

Stock:

Stock on the left:

New (it somehow feels smaller though I am sure that's an illusion):
Old 07-22-2015, 12:28 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:19 AM
GBG
Pro

Thanks guys. I need an airbag, so the GTS Cup wheel won't work for me but I'm sure it's great looking and feeling wheel, thanks PKF.

The circumference of the OEM wheel is still too big for my taste, even though I'm sure it feels great with the fatter grip. If the price is about the same, I'd prefer the smaller non-OEM alternatives. Gemballa wheel in Psymon post looks like the same wheel as the Raid wheel in my original post.. anyone know if it's the same manufacturer? I've only found these wheels for sale at Carnewal... anyone have a link to a different site for price comparison? Thanks!
Old 07-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
Just recently installed a wheel from Dallas Custom Steering Wheel (via ebay). Also have the triangular airbag. See the results below - perhaps not the best photos but they show relative size/thickness. Was seriously considering replacing with the OEM sport wheel including the rounded airbag, but I actually think the triangular wheel works better with the interior. Absolutely love the new wheel - my old wheel was the most worn out part of the interior so this thing has made the car feel new again. Love the smell also. Took me a bit of time to adjust to the thickness and softness of the grip but now I think it's awesome. Had to learn to use much less pressure to hold the wheel, sensing what's going on through the fingertips. The car has truly been transformed with this simple change.

The size of the wheel allows me to see all guages but just barely.

Stock:

Stock on the left:

New (it somehow feels smaller though I am sure that's an illusion):
I love how its way better but still stock looking and keeps the original air bag! Where do I get a black one and whats the cost?
Old 07-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see Raid wheel in your post, but base on the photos that I have seen so far I was quite sure that the Gemballa, FVD and Raid wheels are essentially the same, just customised with different wrapping materials and brand logo.

Here's the link to FVD's wheels:

http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/92...ing_Wheel.html

Originally Posted by GBG
.... Gemballa wheel in Psymon post looks like the same wheel as the Raid wheel in my original post.. anyone know if it's the same manufacturer? I've only found these wheels for sale at Carnewal... anyone have a link to a different site for price comparison? Thanks!
Old 07-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Bryan16
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sandwedge, that's a heck of a nice wheel.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel recommendation