Sponsored by:

Shifter is getting notchy

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:06 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifter is getting notchy

On my 997.1 C2S with 25,000 miles, the shifter is getting really notchy. In the past, 1st gear could be a bit difficult when the car was cold, but now it seems to be all the time. Plus, it seems to be happening more often in all gears. I don't think it's the syncros, I don't think it's the clutch. I'm thinking it could be motor mounts, or bushings inside the shifter.

I'm currently scheduled for a pre-track inspection and I've told them about my issue.

Should I just opt for a short shift kit instead of tying to diagnos the issue?

Thanks Guys, your always awesome
Old 07-11-2015, 12:21 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Shifter is getting notchy

Has the transaxle fluid ever been replaced?
Old 07-11-2015, 01:16 AM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installing the short shifter helped my 46,000 mile C2. It did wonders for the car. I'm not sure if it was just adjusting the cables but to get to the cables your almost to the point of changing the shifter. The Factory GT3 shifter comes with the adjustment tool and is easy to install and adjust. The hardest part is pulling the console. If you ask me the car should only come with the short shifter installed. There are a few threads on installing the shifter.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:26 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by hockenheimr
On my 997.1 C2S with 25,000 miles, the shifter is getting really notchy. ...
Cable adjustment should be your first check point.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:01 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

On my 997.1 C2S with 25,000 miles, the shifter is getting really notchy. In the past, 1st gear could be a bit difficult when the car was cold, but now it seems to be all the time. Plus, it seems to be happening more often in all gears. I don't think it's the syncros, I don't think it's the clutch. I'm thinking it could be motor mounts, or bushings inside the shifter.

I'm currently scheduled for a pre-track inspection and I've told them about my issue.

Should I just opt for a short shift kit instead of tying to diagnos the issue?

Thanks Guys, your always awesome
Never had to adjust any shifter linkage in any car I've ever owned.

When was the last time you had the brake and clutch fluid flushed and bled?

Don't dismiss this: A while back the clutch action on one of my Porsches got lousy and the shifting deteriorated as well.

No matter how hard I tried I was unable to get the car to move off from a stop smoothly and shifting just seemed to produce gear crunching no matter how deliberate I was in pushing in the clutch and moving the gear lever.

After the SM looked up my car's service record and pointed out the last brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed as 2.5 years earlier I had this done and afterwards the transformation was a minor miracle.

If this fluid flush/bleed is over due or just due or even just close to being due have it done first is my advice. If it doesn't help then you have the other options open to you.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:11 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Bleeding the clutch is a good idea. The clutch fluid is shared with the brakes. The 997.1 has a bleed screw on the slave cylinder under the car on the top of the transmission. 997.2 does not have the bleed screw as it's a recirculating system. Since you are going to the track, fresh brake fluid is valuable. Be sure to bleed the clutch at the same time. Brake fluid is cheap, it's all about the labor.

Cable adjustment next also makes sense. The adjustment tool is also cheap, so again all about the labor.

If you still have the problem, then I'd step up to a SSK. Even if it turns out you need a clutch replacement in the end, you will love the SSK anyway.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:37 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

I had the brake fluid changed last month, but I doubt they bleed the clutch. I'm having the transmission fluid changed next week, so I will ask them to go back and bleed the clutch at the same time. How hard is it to access the cables? i.e. am I going to get raped on hours.

The brake fluid change made an astonishing change to the brake feel....suddenly they were crisp again. My pads have a ton of life in them, like only 25% used. The issue I'm having with the brakes now, that I didn't have before is that they feel a bit mushy after a few hard stops. Before my brakes were not as crisp but even after lapping it the feel stayed consistent. I took a mid-quality fluid, so would a higher end fluid keep the brakes crisp longer?
Old 07-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I had the brake fluid changed last month, but I doubt they bleed the clutch. I'm having the transmission fluid changed next week, so I will ask them to go back and bleed the clutch at the same time. How hard is it to access the cables? i.e. am I going to get raped on hours.

The brake fluid change made an astonishing change to the brake feel....suddenly they were crisp again. My pads have a ton of life in them, like only 25% used. The issue I'm having with the brakes now, that I didn't have before is that they feel a bit mushy after a few hard stops. Before my brakes were not as crisp but even after lapping it the feel stayed consistent. I took a mid-quality fluid, so would a higher end fluid keep the brakes crisp longer?
If a brake fluid flush/bleed made a difference in the brake feel that's a very good sign it will help the clutch and the shifting.

When I had the overdue brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed done while the clutch action and shifting action was much improved, I noticed no improvement with the brakes.

You can check the shifter linkage adjustment if you want. I have no idea of how to do this.

The only time the shifter linkage in any car I've ever owned had to be touched was with my 2003 Turbo. The linkage broke. A larger ball socket failed, well the nylon liner. The shifter was fixed under CPO warranty. I had a 997 shifter installed at the Porsche tech's recommendation. The 997 shifter is a much better shifter than the 996 Turbo shifter. Feels more solid, more precise.

My point is with the 997 shifter I think you have a pretty good shifter already. I suspect once you get a proper clutch fluid flush/bleed done you'll be good to go.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Adjusting the "shifter" or the cables or linkage should have no effect. First, there is no adjustment on the shifter (I am holding the original shifter from my 2009 C2S in my lap right now and it is a snap-together unit). There really is no "linkage" adjustment as the cables snap into place with a ball-socket system at both ends. You can vary the cable length (where the cables snap to the underside of the shifter), but all this does is change the reference angle of your shifter lever but has no impact on shifting gears. Read this for a better understanding (the whole thread is interesting):

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-of-5-a-3.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-12-2015, 10:27 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm having the transmission fluid changed next week, so I will ask them to go back and bleed the clutch at the same time.
I'll be curious to see how the transaxle fluid change affects your issue.

I changed the transaxle fluid in my C4S a few weeks ago (~47k miles) proactively and to document it for Adrian Streather's upcoming 997.2 book.

While my manual transmission was performing perfectly, it now works even better with the new fluid.

Looking forward to the update...
Old 07-12-2015, 11:19 AM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey David, were you able to get the torque specs for the drain and fill plugs on your 997.2? I am looking forward to purchasing Adrian's book.
Rich
2009 997.2 C2S
Old 07-12-2015, 11:41 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DGrayling
Hey David, were you able to get the torque specs for the drain and fill plugs on your 997.2? I am looking forward to purchasing Adrian's book.
Rich
2009 997.2 C2S
Yup, 31 lb. ft. is the spec. Have fun...the fluid sure does stink...
Old 07-12-2015, 03:20 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Cable adjustment should be your first check point.
agreed, and then change tranny fluid. driving some of my friends 997s i am shocked at how difficult it is to get into 1st gear.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:07 PM
PTParks
Instructor

I suspect that you may be a candidate for a shifter cable adjustment. I just installed a Porsche SSK and the improvement over the stock shifter is incredible, so if you are considering this mod, I would highly recommend it. I would do the fluid change just for peace of mind.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

My C2S has the OEM SSK and itnshifts great. I do my own brake and clutch fluid bleeds once a year and am running Mogul RBF600 in both my 997s, one of which is my wife's DD, but it's easier to only have to stock one type of brake fluid. The other things both are cars have are SS brake lines. As rubber brake lines age they swell inside and you can't tell by looking at the outside. When they do this fluid flow through the lines is restricted and the rubber lines get spongy so instead of transferring all the Pedal force to the caliper piston, some of it goes to expanding the rubber lines or forcing fluid through the restricted Jose. Pedal feel is rock solid on both my cars under all conditions. Mine has PCCBs, hers Big Reds with dba slotted rotors.

Quick Reply: Shifter is getting notchy