Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter is getting notchy

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Bleeding the clutch is essential. Makes the stroke much smoother and can't hurt the shift action. I'll do this at least every other year or when I've got the car jacked for other maintenance. Fluid change can have a big impact. A recent clutch bleed and fluid change transformed my 997.

I don't think cable adjustment matters. When I put in a short shifter, the adjustment was only useful for setting the position of the stick. I had the console off for a few days and tested various settings, with no impact.

I'd recommend changing the gear oil and bleed the clutch.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Here are pics of the clutch bleeding rig I created both layed flat and in use above the transmission. I have a Craftsman ratchet set for use on long bolts where the bolt can pass through the center of the ratchet. This works well because you can put a bleed hose through that hole and have the ratchet always on the nipple for opening and closing the bleed screw. The hose is silicone and goes to a collection bag so no drips or leaks. The hose and bag came from Speedbleeders.com. Attach the hose to the bag, slide the ratchet assembly into the hose, reach up and attach the end of the hose over the bleed nipple, then let the hose guide the ratchet up onto the bleed screw.
Attached Images    
Old 07-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

When bleeding the clutch, does the clutch pedal have to be fully pressed before loosening the nipple?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:06 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the great advice

I changed the trans fluid, helped a lot.

Next step is stiffer engine mounts.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by hockenheimr
Thanks for all the great advice

I changed the trans fluid, helped a lot.

Next step is stiffer engine mounts.
I have the RSS semi-solid engine mounts and they're great. I kept the stock transmission mounts as I believe the solid or semi-solid ones would transfer a lot more noise and vibration into the cabin, which I don't want.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:08 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Here are pics of the clutch bleeding rig I created both layed flat and in use above the transmission. I have a Craftsman ratchet set for use on long bolts where the bolt can pass through the center of the ratchet. This works well because you can put a bleed hose through that hole and have the ratchet always on the nipple for opening and closing the bleed screw. The hose is silicone and goes to a collection bag so no drips or leaks. The hose and bag came from Speedbleeders.com. Attach the hose to the bag, slide the ratchet assembly into the hose, reach up and attach the end of the hose over the bleed nipple, then let the hose guide the ratchet up onto the bleed screw.
Awesome Petza. Much better than my rag around the racket method.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:27 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by david
While my manual transmission was performing perfectly, it now works even better with the new fluid.
More perfecter than perfect?

Quick Reply: Shifter is getting notchy