Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new-to-me 911S

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Great Post and nice work. Awesome choice of wheels. I am leaning towards a graphite color wheel down the road. Congrats on your new ride!
Old 06-30-2015, 10:06 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
Default My new-to-me 911S

Really sharp car in a classic color combo - looks fantastic and welcome aboard!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:39 PM
turbo3.6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great car and great updates! Too bad the e30 had to go.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:14 AM
qwkslvrnsx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezkill
Fantastic work on the interior.

I love those decals and they're on the build sheet. I thought I'd remove them as well when I purchased my car but after giving it a couple weeks, really grew to love them. Different strokes for different folks, enjoy in good health!
I not opposed to certain race inspired livery. I actually had the the BMW LTW checkered flag livery on my Alpine White e36 M3. White cars are just a great canvas for motorsport livery. I just felt that the "Carrera" script was overkill. Sometimes, less is more…That said, being that this is white 911, I am seriously considering the Martini livery. The car is getting the aerokit front end and a Sports Classic style ducktail in the rear, so I think that the Martini livery would look appropriate for a retro-modern theme.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qwkslvrnsx
I not opposed to certain race inspired livery. I actually had the the BMW LTW checkered flag livery on my Alpine White e36 M3. White cars are just a great canvas for motorsport livery. I just felt that the "Carrera" script was overkill. Sometimes, less is more…That said, being that this is white 911, I am seriously considering the Martini livery. The car is getting the aerokit front end and a Sports Classic style ducktail in the rear, so I think that the Martini livery would look appropriate for a retro-modern theme.
That script was a 3k option on my build sheet including color matched gunmetal wheels. This is the initial reason I decided not to remove them immediately as they came with the car from the factory. A few weeks into ownership I parked next to a 70's 911 in white with almost the same script on the side and it sealed the deal for me. Just grew to love them and can't imagine the car without them. The second reason I decided to keep them is it differentiates the car from the plague of 911's that festoon the local streets mostly driven by dentists and plastic surgeons. Nothing wrong with that but it's just not me.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Great job, and it really looks good. One suggestion that I am surprised you haven't heard or seen yet, turn those Porsche emblem wheel inserts so that they point to the valve stem!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:50 PM
qwkslvrnsx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yet anothercrisis
Great job, and it really looks good. One suggestion that I am surprised you haven't heard or seen yet, turn those Porsche emblem wheel inserts so that they point to the valve stem!!!
Good eye. Actually, I am that **** retentive and I did align the crest in relation to the valve stem (just in the opposite direction as you suggested), look at the picture, the flat top of the crest is perfectly horizontal to the valve stem at all four...
Old 07-01-2015, 06:22 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't recall ever liking after market wheels on a Porsche...until I saw yours. Those are fantastic. Sorry if I missed the name of them, but what kind are they? Could you not get an offset that fit so you didn't need spacers?

Unbelievable that someone is so careless with the interior and have beat it up that badly.

I'm in the, "Keep the e30" camp. Should have sold the other two and kept the appreciating bad a$$ e30. Even if you hadn't planned on it, you will daily drive the 911.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:09 PM
MtnFlyer
Intermediate

Nice job! Looking forward to seeing the pics of the new body pieces. Cheers.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:14 PM
qwkslvrnsx
Advanced

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
I don't recall ever liking after market wheels on a Porsche...until I saw yours. Those are fantastic. Sorry if I missed the name of them, but what kind are they? Could you not get an offset that fit so you didn't need spacers?

Unbelievable that someone is so careless with the interior and have beat it up that badly.

I'm in the, "Keep the e30" camp. Should have sold the other two and kept the appreciating bad a$$ e30. Even if you hadn't planned on it, you will daily drive the 911.
The wheels are made by a company called Starke Design. They are Porsche specific and are the same size as factory, I only added the spacers as a personal preference of having a wider, more flush & aggressive stance. BTW, spacers are an available Porsche option.

I might have made a mistake selling the e30 "prematurely", but I didn't sell her cheap, let's just say, I made out very well...And I did sell the e36 and also made out well. I do believe that e36 are becoming very collectible. They'll never command e30 type money, but they are more fun to drive, cheaper & easier to maintain, lower cost of entry, etc...
Old 07-02-2015, 03:05 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
I don't recall ever liking after market wheels on a Porsche...until I saw yours. Those are fantastic.
[...]
Ditto. That is until I got used to the 20" O.Z. ultraleggeras on my 997. I am thinking about downsizing to 19" (tire availability) so went to my local P-dealer to look at factory wheels on cars. Nothing caught my eye... I just may opt for the Starke wheels seen above!
Old 07-02-2015, 03:20 PM
qwkslvrnsx
Advanced

Originally Posted by j beede
Ditto. That is until I got used to the 20" O.Z. ultraleggeras on my 997. I am thinking about downsizing to 19" (tire availability) so went to my local P-dealer to look at factory wheels on cars. Nothing caught my eye... I just may opt for the Starke wheels seen above!
Do it! They are as light as OZ Ultraleggeras and are JWL certified as well, which is great for the price point. Notice they bear a resemblance to the OE wheels as pictured above on that Martini edition 991!
Old 07-02-2015, 03:20 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like you put 235/35-19 up front. Maybe 295/35-19 in the rear? I just might be selling my 20" ultraleggeras...

Did you buy the wheels and tires as a package? Did all arrive in good condition? Last time I bought tires on-line they arrived stacked on my porch with nothing but address labels glued to the sidewalls. They had a rough ride and looked it. I had pictured paper or plastic wrap, at least.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:26 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

O/P
Sounds like you're in florida. Not a lot rocks or road debris to kick up. BUT with your wider stance and spacers, you may want to consider some 3M stone guard in front of your rear wheels. Looks like your removed Carrara sticker would have protected some of that area.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 PM
qwkslvrnsx
Advanced

Originally Posted by j beede
Looks like you put 235/35-19 up front. Maybe 295/35-19 in the rear? I just might be selling my 20" ultraleggeras...

Did you buy the wheels and tires as a package? Did all arrive in good condition? Last time I bought tires on-line they arrived stacked on my porch with nothing but address labels glued to the sidewalls. They had a rough ride and looked it. I had pictured paper or plastic wrap, at least.
I already had fresh tires that came on the stock wheels, so yes, those are the sizes I am running. You could go 245/305 for more rubber/ sidewall. Being that I am lowered on fairly aggressive H&R springs and chose to run spacers, I feel that the oem sizes (235/295) are perfect for my application since the slight stretch ensures that the sidewall will tuck in under full load and not rub at all.

B/c I bought only the wheels, they came in their factory boxes. If buying as a tire & wheel package, then it's standard industry practice to just circular cardboard to sandwich the wheels and tie them w. nylon cording- as wight he tires, the wheels will no longer fit into the box. Tire Rack does really job, since it's their core business.

Quick Reply: My new-to-me 911S