Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What is the current 2nd best road tire on the market for the 997?
Michelin PS2
53.85%
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
9.23%
Pirelli P Zero
3.08%
Hancook Ventus
9.23%
Toyo Proxes 1
0%
Continental Extremecontact
4.62%
Other (indicate in comments)
20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Current Best Tire Choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:43 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ralt12
Maybe we should give Michelin some feedback about their supply chain. I did.

http://michelin.fluidsurveys.com/sur...ore-march2015/
Done...thanks for posting.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:47 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts
Default Poll: Current Best Tire Choice

Poll taken, comments made. Thank you for the link.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
They ARE here in 'Murica, been out for a few months now in a lot of sizes, and instantly became required to win. I've done two events on RE-71R and they're fantastic tires. You just have to make the available sizes work for you- friend of mine with a GT3 is running Rival S in the rear and RE-71R in the front.

And you're wrong to hold out. Ditch those all-seasons and drive something better! .
Lol.. I am ditching them. I had the honor of inheriting them from the original owner. My car only sees warm weather and occasional track days. I'd probably be ok with any top rated extreme performance tire.

I now know/understand the issue with available sizes, which explains why I wasn't seeing the new tires in searches.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

For the Jersey Shore I like the Conti's DWS and have them on my 09 C4S year round. Great tire, had them on a Cadillac CTS Coupe prior and they corrected all the poor driving that occurred with summer sport tires such as jumping when turning, backing up and other areas where the very hard side walls created problems in cold weather. I've had my C4S out in the snow and they performed just fine.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:47 AM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

I personally wouldn't run DWS in the summer. Kinda like running a rain tire on a dry track, why wear out the S layer in summer driving? I have a pair of scruffy lobsters with DWS's for the winter, now winter in N. AL is pretty tame but they do handle rain and 40 deg temps (the common Southern winter scenario) really well. Have S-04's on Turbo rims for late Spring, Summer and most of the Fall.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:14 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance-AR
I've moved from MPSS to Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 for better results in autocross.
how is the re-11 for touring? i hear the sidewall is very stiff making it a very noisy tire, unlike the more street oriented b-stones
Old 07-10-2015, 05:15 PM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
how is the re-11 for touring? i hear the sidewall is very stiff making it a very noisy tire, unlike the more street oriented b-stones
I've run re-11 on the street for a couple of years. I wouldn't say they are noisy but definitely stiff. No problem on smooth pavement but can be jarring on rough stuff (I live in new england so lots of that). I have a 997 C2 with stock suspension mind you.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:25 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Yesterday I ended up un-mounting my winter tires, and mounting on my two sets of wheels a set of RE11s and a set of S04s. As I am tracking the car this weekend, I am running the RE11s right now to break them in before the event.

My initial reactions are:
-RE11 is *much* quieter than my Michellin PS2s ever were. The PS2s were miserablely loud at the end. I can actually hear my sports exhaust now in detail while cruising. I could actually listen to the radio now if I wanted to (I usually do not).
-RE11 turn-in appears to be quicker than the PS2s
-At "cold" temps, the PS2s are super sticky and every bit of dirt gets attached to them and flung on the car. In comparison, the RE11s do not seem to be as sticky at "cold" temps. It is a nice change to not hear every little rock and piece of dirt flung at my car by the PS2s as I drive down my driveway. Not sure how this will translate on the track at hot temps.
-PS2s is slightly smoother around town. At the recommendation from a friend with RE11s, I am running pressures -2 front and -4 rear vs. the PS2. Ride quality is pretty superb.
-PS2s have a bigger rim protector

I will update post track experience this weekend. My PS2s literally disintegrated before my eyes, which is why I opted for the RE11s on track. PSSs are obviously out of stock and not an option.

After this weekend, I will also advise on how the S04s are on the car. I plan on using those for street driving only.

This is on a 997.2 4S.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:13 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Yesterday I ended up un-mounting my winter tires, and mounting on my two sets of wheels a set of RE11s and a set of S04s. As I am tracking the car this weekend, I am running the RE11s right now to break them in before the event.

I will update post track experience this weekend. My PS2s literally disintegrated before my eyes, which is why I opted for the RE11s on track. PSSs are obviously out of stock and not an option.

After this weekend, I will also advise on how the S04s are on the car. I plan on using those for street driving only.

This is on a 997.2 4S.
Awesome! Please do. These are basically the two tires I'm looking at and will be my street AND track tires until I source 18s (car is garaged in winter). So, I'd like to know how they are in both situations. Your synopsis of the RE-11s has really helped and echos what I've heard from others.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:21 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

RE-71R has replaced the RE-11; it's everything the RE-11 was, but better in pretty much every way measurable. Unless you think stickiness is a bad thing, in which case I guess it's worse?
Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Poll: Current Best Tire Choice

Originally Posted by sjfehr
RE-71R has replaced the RE-11; it's everything the RE-11 was, but better in pretty much every way measurable. Unless you think stickiness is a bad thing, in which case I guess it's worse?
Id love to get them but they are not available in our standard wheel sizes that I have been able to find. Do you know otherwise?
Old 07-16-2015, 07:20 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of us who were hoping we could get Michelin PSS tires, I stopped at a local Discount Tire dealer in Alpharetta, GA today and Michelin told them the tires have been back ordered since February. Appears to me that Michelin is headed toward the PS2 tires at a higher cost and lower tread wear rating. Go figure!!!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:59 PM
tom030
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RE 71R line will not be filled out until next Spring at the earliest and is much more agressive (read stickier). The RE 11 will most likely be around for a while longer. As far as fitment goes the 305/30R19 will fit fine on the rear of both wide and narrow body 997. My experience with RE 11 on a 997S has been similar to alexaqui. Better handling tire than the PS2 and noticeably quieter.
~tom
Old 07-16-2015, 11:12 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the previous version of the RE71R on my BMW years ago. Then they were a super sticky track compound that you could not run full tread. Tire Rack would shave them before delivery to 3/32 or so. They were the most fun you could have on the street but they did not last 10,000 miles and would probably not last that long on a Porsche rear. Is the new version a different, more street-friendly tire?

Maybe Michelin is taking time out to get an N Spec rating since so many Porsches are running the PSS and loving them. I have had the Pilot Sport 2's and the Pilot Super Sports and would never spend the money again to upgrade to the PS2 for my style of driving.

Is Damon in the house? He should know the inside story.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm going to start running Michelin PSS on all my cars. Going to ditch R-compounds - great track tires but they wear fast. I'm able to get a solid 30,000 miles on my non tracked 911 with Michelin PSS. The R-compounds are lucky if they see 16,000 miles with light track use.

Quick Reply: Poll: Current Best Tire Choice