Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What is the current 2nd best road tire on the market for the 997?
Michelin PS2
53.85%
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
9.23%
Pirelli P Zero
3.08%
Hancook Ventus
9.23%
Toyo Proxes 1
0%
Continental Extremecontact
4.62%
Other (indicate in comments)
20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Current Best Tire Choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 04:47 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need someone from Tire Rack to chime in on the availability of the MPSS tires. I'd replace all four with something else but my front tires are MPSS and like new. Rears are nearing replacement within the next month or two. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:57 PM
DOCRACERAZ
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vredstein

You want to talk about grip? These rock . Guigaro design.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:32 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Awesome! Please do. These are basically the two tires I'm looking at and will be my street AND track tires until I source 18s (car is garaged in winter). So, I'd like to know how they are in both situations. Your synopsis of the RE-11s has really helped and echos what I've heard from others.
As a follow-up, I just put the S-04s on after 600 miles and 2 track days on the RE11s. I think the RE11s are super. I really enjoyed my drive up to the track; they were comfortable, quiet, and overall gave a lot of positive feedback. On track, they held up to two super hot track days. They were very predictable and communicative. Overall, super happy with them. They also seem to wear very well for track use with little/limited chunking. I also drive through a 15 minute downpour on the way to the track and I did not experience any issues with hydroplaning. Fortunately the track dried so I did not have any wet track time. Overall, I am a big fan of the tires.

I have about 50 miles on the S-04s after doing the swap, so it is early. First indications are that they may actually be louder than the RE11s and have a slightly slower turn-in response. They do feel softer so the ride quality is great. Car still feels like it is on rails though. Offramp speed and confidence seems to be close to the RE11s. These are great tires for the road, no questions asked. Given that they have many more cut-outs for rain than the RE11, my guess is that the S-04s will chunk up on the track quite a bit more than the RE11s. I am more than happy with these as my daily drivers, especially at this price point.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:01 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
As a follow-up, I just put the S-04s on after 600 miles and 2 track days on the RE11s. I think the RE11s are super. I really enjoyed my drive up to the track; they were comfortable, quiet, and overall gave a lot of positive feedback. On track, they held up to two super hot track days. They were very predictable and communicative. Overall, super happy with them. They also seem to wear very well for track use with little/limited chunking. I also drive through a 15 minute downpour on the way to the track and I did not experience any issues with hydroplaning. Fortunately the track dried so I did not have any wet track time. Overall, I am a big fan of the tires.

I have about 50 miles on the S-04s after doing the swap, so it is early. First indications are that they may actually be louder than the RE11s and have a slightly slower turn-in response. They do feel softer so the ride quality is great. Car still feels like it is on rails though. Offramp speed and confidence seems to be close to the RE11s. These are great tires for the road, no questions asked. Given that they have many more cut-outs for rain than the RE11, my guess is that the S-04s will chunk up on the track quite a bit more than the RE11s. I am more than happy with these as my daily drivers, especially at this price point.
Thanks for the quick review. That also reinforces what others have said about the stiff sidewall on the RE11s but still great track performance.
Appreciated.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:47 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrec
Need someone from Tire Rack to chime in on the availability of the MPSS tires. I'd replace all four with something else but my front tires are MPSS and like new. Rears are nearing replacement within the next month or two. Thank you.
I spoke to the Michelin rep at Werks yesterday and he informed (Wayne Smith and) me that the MPSS 305x19 has been upgraded to a N spec tire and is in Porsche's court to test and approve.

He also said that he has no idea why the plant is not producing enough units of the current tire, however I suspect that it is because of a (poor) business decision by his superiors.

He did say that the N spec product will not be that much more expensive than the current tire.

He also said that Michelin is well aware of the problem and has been listening to the noise coming from the various peanut galleries.

So in effect, there is very little of the current tire to meet demand and Porsche has yet to give the thumbs up on the new tire...ugh.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:17 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm the new guy here with very little experience, but I must say this sounds a lot like issues I have seen in many other areas. Honestly, I think you guys are hung up on a particular tire on this forum. I think the results of the poll are clear, but reading reviews from outside Rennlist makes me believe the world is not so convinced on the superiority of MPSC tires. Clearly they are good, but are they truly worthy of all the hand wringing? Is there nothing comparable within a few dollars price difference that is more readily available . . . really? I'd lay a large wager that German Porsche clubs are not using MPSCs.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:47 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poll: Current Best Tire Choice

I bought a set of Continental DWs for my 86. Getting them installed this week. Wanted to see if they were as good as some odd the reviews. Choices are limited for 16 inch.

Quick Reply: Poll: Current Best Tire Choice