Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What is the current 2nd best road tire on the market for the 997?
Michelin PS2
53.85%
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
9.23%
Pirelli P Zero
3.08%
Hancook Ventus
9.23%
Toyo Proxes 1
0%
Continental Extremecontact
4.62%
Other (indicate in comments)
20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Current Best Tire Choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:04 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my Potenzas.

Great value too, especially compared to the PS2's that I had last time around.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:25 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Bridgestone RE-71R and BF Goodrich Rival S, both just released a few months ago, have made every other extreme performance tire obsolete. With respect to sheer performance, it's not even close; MPSS & MP2 might as well be 80k all-seasons in comparison. They're so new, not all sizes are available in the US yet, but keep an eye online as TireRack is getting new shipments all the time. Tirerack did their latest round of performance testing on these tires last week, and it should be published soon.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:06 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed a set of Potenza S-04's today.
Discount Tire called their "most trusted tire warehouse" and was told what I already knew and expected to hear - won't be getting the MPSS 305's anytime soon.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:24 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Whatever you do don't let anyone tell you that Hankook Venti junk is a good tire for your 911.

How about some super sticky R compound tires. Toyo R888, Pirelli Corsa (I run the stock Corsas on my Ford and I eat Porsches alive on the track.) Here's a video of me running with an advanced run group.

Ford Boss 302 LS vs. Mercedes CLA45 AMG, Porsche Boxster RS60, 993 Carrera - YouTube

BTW that GTS in your profile picture has to be the one of the nicest around.
I seriously doubt that your Corsas are the reason you "eat Porsches alive." I don't know what if any mods you've done to your car but you are obviously a better driver than the others in your video. Are you sure that was an advanced run group. In my experiences "pointing by" was for Novice groups. It looked like the other cars were touring, not driving "fast." How about some pictures of the Ford.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
I seriously doubt that your Corsas are the reason you "eat Porsches alive." I don't know what if any mods you've done to your car but you are obviously a better driver than the others in your video. Are you sure that was an advanced run group. In my experiences "pointing by" was for Novice groups. It looked like the other cars were touring, not driving "fast." How about some pictures of the Ford.
Good morning Johnny - My car is stock but they were fairly well sorted for the track - 444hp / 7,500 rpm redline - air cooled brakes, transmission cooling, large front splitter (90lbs downforce), R compounds, rear seat delete, and the "Red Key" which gives the ECU a race calibration. I think the GT3 could of put in more in those corners and given me a harder time if he wanted. The 993/Boxster/AMG passing was expected - the GT3/991 is most likely driver.

Here you go..

Last edited by Para82; 07-05-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:24 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Bridgestone RE-71R and BF Goodrich Rival S, both just released a few months ago, have made every other extreme performance tire obsolete. With respect to sheer performance, it's not even close; MPSS & MP2 might as well be 80k all-seasons in comparison. They're so new, not all sizes are available in the US yet, but keep an eye online as TireRack is getting new shipments all the time. Tirerack did their latest round of performance testing on these tires last week, and it should be published soon.
They're going bonkers about these tires overseas, and I can't believe they're not here yet ('Murica).

I have very good Pole Positions, but they're the all-seasons (very good, not a wow) and I've been holding out, but the timing suggests we're gonna see these arriving to warehouses this fall/winter for Spring 2016.

Tell me I am wrong. I want to be.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
They're going bonkers about these tires overseas, and I can't believe they're not here yet ('Murica).

I have very good Pole Positions, but they're the all-seasons (very good, not a wow) and I've been holding out, but the timing suggests we're gonna see these arriving to warehouses this fall/winter for Spring 2016.

Tell me I am wrong. I want to be.
They ARE here in 'Murica, been out for a few months now in a lot of sizes, and instantly became required to win. I've done two events on RE-71R and they're fantastic tires. You just have to make the available sizes work for you- friend of mine with a GT3 is running Rival S in the rear and RE-71R in the front.

And you're wrong to hold out. Ditch those all-seasons and drive something better! FWIW, the RE-71R is the best tire I've ever driven on the street. I worry about longevity, but the grip is just phenomenal in all conditions, wet or dry, and they're predictable with little noise except at the very limit. I really loved the ZII*, too; if you're not ultra-competitive, ZII* is another absolutely fantastic all-around performance tire that is likely to last 50% longer than the RE-71R/RivalS and I don't think is giving much up at autocross, either. May be the tire-to-have on the track still.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ this.

I've been saving up for a set of 18" Alleggerita HLTs and a set of Rival Ss in a 265/35 and 305/30.

Still learning on these ****ty Sumitomos, though. Gotta finish these meats before I get my pudding.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Jossue
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carmichael
^ this.

I've been saving up for a set of 18" Alleggerita HLTs and a set of Rival Ss in a 265/35 and 305/30.

Still learning on these ****ty Sumitomos, though. Gotta finish these meats before I get my pudding.
Hey you going to tirerack this weekend for wcmc autocross let me know I already pre- reg so I will be there
Old 07-07-2015, 03:03 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

^ this.

I've got just about 3/10 left on my MPSS rears which might be good for a track day and a month or two of weekend driving. It doesn't look like I can get either the Rival S or the RE-71R in standard sizes for 19" wheels. So I'll probably get the RE-11s and source some light 18s over the winter to shoe with the Rival Ss.

http://www.bfgoodrichracing.com/stre...force-rival-s/
Old 07-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jossue
Hey you going to tirerack this weekend for wcmc autocross let me know I already pre- reg so I will be there
I'll be there Sunday.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I've got just about 3/10 left on my MPSS rears which might be good for a track day and a month or two of weekend driving. It doesn't look like I can get either the Rival S or the RE-71R in standard sizes for 19" wheels. So I'll probably get the RE-11s and source some light 18s over the winter to shoe with the Rival Ss.

http://www.bfgoodrichracing.com/stre...force-rival-s/
19s are pretty, but they're too damn heavy. I love how the Carrera Sports look on your car, but they weigh a ton!

Swapping from OEM 19s to OEM 18s makes a difference you can actually feel. Part of that is due to the 11" width of the 19s vis-a-vis the 10" width of the 18s (unless you got a C4), but the 18s are still considerably lighter. I'd like to upgrade to a 380mm braking system up front, but I doubt it'd clear an 18" wheel, so 355mm rotors it is ...

Not to mention the availability of tires in the 18" range. Compared to the selections of 19" tires, you're pretty spoiled for choice at 18".
Old 07-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Jossue
Advanced

I'll be there Sunday.
I see I will be there Saturday last time I was the only p-car
Old 07-07-2015, 08:55 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 74 Posts

New guy talking about something that he knows nothing, BUT read online that the Germans and Japanese enthusiasts LOVE the Yokoham ADVANSPORTs like y'all love the MPS.

Anyone?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:56 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Maybe we should give Michelin some feedback about their supply chain. I did.

http://michelin.fluidsurveys.com/sur...ore-march2015/

Quick Reply: Poll: Current Best Tire Choice