Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Headlight restoration and Lamin-X installation DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:51 AM
db997gts
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Gave it a whirl. Lights were not bad. No sanding, just compound and polish. I decided to use the gyeon trim protection instead of Lamin-x. Mostly because I had it already. The last picture was the before. Mild oxidation and scratches, looked bad in direct sunlight.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-08-2020)
Old 04-16-2017, 11:58 AM
db997gts
Advanced

Sorry, last picture is the after shot. The picture with the light out of the car was the before.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:58 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by db997gts
Sorry, last picture is the after shot. The picture with the light out of the car was the before.
Looks great. Mind going into more detail? What Mazerna products you used and technique? Orbital polisher or by hand? Have used a couple kits but they seem to all have issues...
Old 04-16-2017, 01:42 PM
db997gts
Advanced

Default Process

Like I had mentioned the lights were not bad, just looked oxidized and slightly scratched in direct sunlight. I did a fair amount of research knowing a mistake may cost me big money. I do my own polishing with a Griots boss G15 DA and a variety of Menzerna products. I decided no sanding was required and to give this a shot with just compound and polishing, the same stuff I use for the paint. I really wanted to leave the lights in the car, but after some additional research there was mention to damaging the frunk actuator with the build up of static electricity. So out went the light, not too difficult.

1. I cleaned using an all purpose cleaner by Adams.
2. Used 400 Menzerna and white foam pad with several passes at a medium speed and pressure.
3. Looked good.
4. Used 3500 Menzerna and yellow pad for final polish, (not sure this step did much).
5. Cleaned with carpro eraser to take of any polish residue, (just like on the paint).
6. Applied two coats of gyeon trim to protect against UV. I did not want to use the clear film at this stage. But knew I had to protect that fresh layer of plastic with something.

Then reinstalled. That was a little tricky. I am pretty sure they are in properly and secure. I do know of someone who made a mistake at this phase and lost a headlight completely in a fast turn and deceleration.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:06 PM
db997gts
Advanced

Default Headlight install?

Originally Posted by motopix
Seems not uncommon from doing a search. It takes minutes or less to remove them so why take the risk?
I found it tricky to get the headlights back in. When you push them in and twist the wrench counter clockwise it make a loud "click". It then seemed hard to pull the wrench out of the hole. Is the loud click mean its secure? any help would be great. Don't want them flying out at speed.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:42 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found it tricky to get the headlights back in. When you push them in and twist the wrench counter clockwise it make a loud "click". It then seemed hard to pull the wrench out of the hole. Is the loud click mean its secure? any help would be great. Don't want them flying out at speed.
I guarantee nothing!

But yes, I would say a click is a good sign. I didn't have any issues getting my socket out (don't have the stock tool so just used a 5mm socket duck tapes to a long extension).
Old 04-16-2017, 04:23 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Like I had mentioned the lights were not bad, just looked oxidized and slightly scratched in direct sunlight. I did a fair amount of research knowing a mistake may cost me big money. I do my own polishing with a Griots boss G15 DA and a variety of Menzerna products. I decided no sanding was required and to give this a shot with just compound and polishing, the same stuff I use for the paint. I really wanted to leave the lights in the car, but after some additional research there was mention to damaging the frunk actuator with the build up of static electricity. So out went the light, not too difficult.

1. I cleaned using an all purpose cleaner by Adams.
2. Used 400 Menzerna and white foam pad with several passes at a medium speed and pressure.
3. Looked good.
4. Used 3500 Menzerna and yellow pad for final polish, (not sure this step did much).
5. Cleaned with carpro eraser to take of any polish residue, (just like on the paint).
6. Applied two coats of gyeon trim to protect against UV. I did not want to use the clear film at this stage. But knew I had to protect that fresh layer of plastic with something.

Then reinstalled. That was a little tricky. I am pretty sure they are in properly and secure. I do know of someone who made a mistake at this phase and lost a headlight completely in a fast turn and deceleration.
Thanks! Think you just sold me on it. My lenses look like yours.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:49 AM
Nitemare9
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, I don't have a problem with the lens. I want a brighter light. The lens is fine, I want a kit to make the lights,
HD.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:43 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Great job. Thanks for posting. On my to do list!
Old 04-08-2020, 01:47 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

great job guys - this is one of the most rewarding 'mods'
Old 11-27-2020, 07:19 AM
axl886
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 42 Posts

So I've ordered Lamin X tint film kit and the Kistudios trim, and was wondering about the proper installation order.

For a better effect, should the film over the vinyl trim or should it be the other way around?

And to add to my confusion:

Can KI Studios headlight trim be used with paint protection film?

Yes – The vinyl headlight trim can be applied over the top of the paint protection film. However, precut clear bra kits for Porsche headlights tend to stop short of the edge of the light. Our headlight trim kits are designed to align right on the edge of the light. The visible edge of the clear bra isn’t a good look, so we recommend having your installer bulk wrap the lights and trim to the edge, or skip the paint protection film on the headlights.

(Source: https://kistudios.com/clear-bra/ )

Help me out brothers, thanks!
Old 10-03-2023, 12:48 PM
THE Z MAN
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a question about this Headlight Tint.

I was going to use the very light Tint on the front head a d DRLs. Maybe the TINT(20%) on the side markers and tail lights. I know it's preference,but is this a good way to go(I want to maintain light output, also current tails are red but working on getting the clear ones)?

Where can I get the sheet option of each? Vs pre cut kit.

How does the Headlight Tint interfere with gloss black headlight vinyl trim( sport classic style)?

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:04 AM
axl886
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 42 Posts

This my car with the lamin-x tint film and kistudios black trim, with the former being applied first.

Quick Reply: 997 Headlight restoration and Lamin-X installation DIY