997 Headlight restoration and Lamin-X installation DIY - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

997 Headlight restoration and Lamin-X installation DIY

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Headlight restoration and Lamin-X installation DIY

Old 04-16-2017, 11:51 AM
db997gts
User

Gave it a whirl. Lights were not bad. No sanding, just compound and polish. I decided to use the gyeon trim protection instead of Lamin-x. Mostly because I had it already. The last picture was the before. Mild oxidation and scratches, looked bad in direct sunlight.
Attached Images      
Old 04-16-2017, 11:58 AM
db997gts
User

Sorry, last picture is the after shot. The picture with the light out of the car was the before.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:58 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by db997gts View Post
Sorry, last picture is the after shot. The picture with the light out of the car was the before.
Looks great. Mind going into more detail? What Mazerna products you used and technique? Orbital polisher or by hand? Have used a couple kits but they seem to all have issues...
Old 04-16-2017, 01:42 PM
db997gts
User

Default Process

Like I had mentioned the lights were not bad, just looked oxidized and slightly scratched in direct sunlight. I did a fair amount of research knowing a mistake may cost me big money. I do my own polishing with a Griots boss G15 DA and a variety of Menzerna products. I decided no sanding was required and to give this a shot with just compound and polishing, the same stuff I use for the paint. I really wanted to leave the lights in the car, but after some additional research there was mention to damaging the frunk actuator with the build up of static electricity. So out went the light, not too difficult.

1. I cleaned using an all purpose cleaner by Adams.
2. Used 400 Menzerna and white foam pad with several passes at a medium speed and pressure.
3. Looked good.
4. Used 3500 Menzerna and yellow pad for final polish, (not sure this step did much).
5. Cleaned with carpro eraser to take of any polish residue, (just like on the paint).
6. Applied two coats of gyeon trim to protect against UV. I did not want to use the clear film at this stage. But knew I had to protect that fresh layer of plastic with something.

Then reinstalled. That was a little tricky. I am pretty sure they are in properly and secure. I do know of someone who made a mistake at this phase and lost a headlight completely in a fast turn and deceleration.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:06 PM
db997gts
User

Default Headlight install?

Originally Posted by motopix View Post
Seems not uncommon from doing a search. It takes minutes or less to remove them so why take the risk?
I found it tricky to get the headlights back in. When you push them in and twist the wrench counter clockwise it make a loud "click". It then seemed hard to pull the wrench out of the hole. Is the loud click mean its secure? any help would be great. Don't want them flying out at speed.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:42 PM
motopix
User

I found it tricky to get the headlights back in. When you push them in and twist the wrench counter clockwise it make a loud "click". It then seemed hard to pull the wrench out of the hole. Is the loud click mean its secure? any help would be great. Don't want them flying out at speed.
I guarantee nothing!

But yes, I would say a click is a good sign. I didn't have any issues getting my socket out (don't have the stock tool so just used a 5mm socket duck tapes to a long extension).
Old 04-16-2017, 04:23 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Like I had mentioned the lights were not bad, just looked oxidized and slightly scratched in direct sunlight. I did a fair amount of research knowing a mistake may cost me big money. I do my own polishing with a Griots boss G15 DA and a variety of Menzerna products. I decided no sanding was required and to give this a shot with just compound and polishing, the same stuff I use for the paint. I really wanted to leave the lights in the car, but after some additional research there was mention to damaging the frunk actuator with the build up of static electricity. So out went the light, not too difficult.

1. I cleaned using an all purpose cleaner by Adams.
2. Used 400 Menzerna and white foam pad with several passes at a medium speed and pressure.
3. Looked good.
4. Used 3500 Menzerna and yellow pad for final polish, (not sure this step did much).
5. Cleaned with carpro eraser to take of any polish residue, (just like on the paint).
6. Applied two coats of gyeon trim to protect against UV. I did not want to use the clear film at this stage. But knew I had to protect that fresh layer of plastic with something.

Then reinstalled. That was a little tricky. I am pretty sure they are in properly and secure. I do know of someone who made a mistake at this phase and lost a headlight completely in a fast turn and deceleration.
Thanks! Think you just sold me on it. My lenses look like yours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997 Headlight restoration and Lamin-X installation DIY

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: