Sponsored by:

New to me - 997.1 S

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamof911
Perk10, I considered that car. If I had known it was owned by a rennlister. I would made an effort to buy it.
Sorry, I came SO close to posting it here but at the time I was swamped with work and needed out of the car ASAP so I got out of it and into my new GTI as quickly and easily as possible.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:56 AM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...I am floored. The previous owner found me and the car. I was tempted to call you. It had your name and iphone in the telephone section on the PCM. I respect people's privacy. I will definitely PM you my contact information. Would love to go over the car with you. I found an Easter egg today with the Tookie. It said Tookie searching on the screen and didn't think it was bluetooth. Looked it up online and ran out into the garage. Paired up my phone once I got the code online. I had an even bigger smile. I also loaded a few MP3's on a USB stick and connected it to the Dension USB cable in the glovebox. I can't tell if the exhaust is OEM, Were the tips black? Usually they are chrome I thought. I can take a picture and you can tell me if it is or not. Unless you can tell from the pictures already. Thank you so much for reaching out and for such a beautifully put together car. I guess we think a like because your car stood out to me. Made me buy it 1 day after seeing it available. You have great taste and your choice of mods was perfect executed. Look for my PM information. Just know your car will always be maintained and well cared for. Checkbook is open and ready. Hope I don't need to use it though....

As for the comments - thank you so much for your kind words. I am still in shock and get excited every time I got out into the garage. I am sure you can all relate to your first Porsche. Been a life long dream so it still seems surreal.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:13 AM
CptFun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I feel left out. Awesome story though. I am also 41 and last February I sold my Prius for this 07 C4S. Illinois car now but was previously in California. I have almost no history for it but don't care. I was tired of waiting for the day to justify the expense. I am pleasantly surprised that ownership is not as expensive as I thought it would be. I don't even mind the 18 mpg vs 40+ I was getting. I don't even mind premium gas prices. I have had the car for three months and still take peeks in the garage at night to make me smile just before I go to sleep. Thanks for the story.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ftlaud911
Wow...I am floored. The previous owner found me and the car. I was tempted to call you. It had your name and iphone in the telephone section on the PCM. I respect people's privacy. I will definitely PM you my contact information. Would love to go over the car with you. I found an Easter egg today with the Tookie. It said Tookie searching on the screen and didn't think it was bluetooth. Looked it up online and ran out into the garage. Paired up my phone once I got the code online. I had an even bigger smile. I also loaded a few MP3's on a USB stick and connected it to the Dension USB cable in the glovebox. I can't tell if the exhaust is OEM, Were the tips black? Usually they are chrome I thought. I can take a picture and you can tell me if it is or not. Unless you can tell from the pictures already. Thank you so much for reaching out and for such a beautifully put together car. I guess we think a like because your car stood out to me. Made me buy it 1 day after seeing it available. You have great taste and your choice of mods was perfect executed. Look for my PM information. Just know your car will always be maintained and well cared for. Checkbook is open and ready. Hope I don't need to use it though....

As for the comments - thank you so much for your kind words. I am still in shock and get excited every time I got out into the garage. I am sure you can all relate to your first Porsche. Been a life long dream so it still seems surreal.
Regarding your "life long dream so it still seems surreal" comment. Take note of a similar comment I made when I first took delivery of my ride:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post11584777
Old 05-07-2015, 12:09 PM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Cptfun - nice 4s!! (love those hips). I'd say from a Prius you went a totally different direction in a good way. I saw a sticker on a truck and it made me chuckle. Hybrid - You save, I use

So I just went out to inspect the exhaust. It has Remus mufflers, OEM cats, and no idea on tips. I guess all I need to do is put in new CATS to have a complete exhaust. Don't know if I like the use of different vendors all put together. If I replace the CATS will I get a SES light? What type of CATS do you recommend (100 or 200)? Need to do more research. My girl thinks I am crazy for even touching the car. She doesn't get it, but I love the sound of a well put together aftermarket exhaust. It took me a long time to find an exhaust on my M3 that I liked and didn't drone on the highway. The M3 is raspy and I respect that it was the natural sound, but personally hated it. I have been listening to sound clips all morning on the 997. Does it matter when it says 3.6 vs 3.8 motor? I know that is the difference between the S and not, but it seems like it shouldn't matter as long as the pipes line up. Any advice? Welcome all comments, but don't want to start an exhaust war. So please be nice

John - sent you a PM
Old 05-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Todd,

Just sent you a quick PM. I will be more than happy to help you out with the exhaust (CAT) questions. No CLUE where they got the Remus mufflers from...

Anyways, if you think Tooki is a nice easter egg, wait until we talk... I'll tell you about SO many more

Oh- and I guess I should change my picture. I'll get on that tonight.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:15 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

If you get CATS, get a tune. I just did the FVD tune with the handheld Genius device and its super easy to do, all by yourself and not have to pay anyone to do it. You can have all kinds of maps as well.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:05 PM
dreamof911
Advanced

Perk10, I completely understand. Might need information on those rims and if you lowered the car. My car is Arctic Silver as well. PM with the info, don't want to tie up this thread. I want FLTLaud911 to enjoy all the great comments about his car. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:02 PM
ftlaud911
Instructor

So I finally got to get some seat time in the car this weekend. Went to a Ferrari/Maserati meet at the local dealership. Man I need to rob a bank!! Ended up meeting a fellow Porsche fanatic I meet at another Porsche event about a year ago. He had upgraded to a GT3 from an S. He was with a few friends so we went for a ride to the beach. Was very cool driving in a caravan with a 2015 GT3, 991 S, R8, and my car. Put about 100 miles on the car this weekend. Plan to have many more!! Got a Porsche meet this weekend that should be fun.

Observations so far:
1. Adaptive seats are amazing!! My shoulders/lats are wider so when I get in the bolsters feel tight. Like a glove - no movement
2. Suspension - only used non sport - not bad at all. Was expecting worse. Car soaked up every bump in the road. Could definitely feel all the grooves though, but I am use to that. (Lowered on H&R Springs)
3. Seat warmer - WOW does high get hot!! ended up using low with a/c on (It's Florida) - but feels good on the back
4. Gas - Need to fill the car up and figure out mpg - only put a 1/2 tank (watched gauge go down on a 65 mile ride) - Didn't buy it for mpg, but wondering for a road trip what people get on a tank (400ish?)
5. Highway speed - no sound of wind and felt solid. I was able to lean head against headrest and not get nauseous hitting the bumps in the road. Z4 was not headrest friendly. Slight press on gas pedal and instant 10mph in 6th
6. Sound system - Holy crap for a stock system it rocks. I turned the bass to 0 and still felt it in my legs. Didn't blast it either - the aftermarket amps/subwoofer days are over for me. Plenty good and was a surprise for a stock system.
7. Looks - LOVE IT!!! Went over parents for mother's day and they were in shock. Didn't tell them anything about getting the car. Dad did a 5 minute look at everything and asked to take it for a ride. He always wanted a 911, but bought a vette. Went down to the corner to watch it leave/come back. Rarely do you get to see your car driven by someone else. Looked good from back and side. From the front it looked amazing. So clean, sporty, and classy all at the same time. Everyone loved the Cocoa leather!! Drove home doing 72 enjoying every minute.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 PM
dreamof911
Advanced

Ftlaud911,

Hit the BC button, it will tell you your average miles per gallon. I was getting 20 mpg highway. I'm sure I could do a little better than that.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:39 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Fog lights are really nice.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:11 PM
better late than never
Intermediate

Love that Gentleman interior !
Old 05-14-2015, 06:16 PM
toona
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Any idea which DRL these are? I want to do this upgrade.

Quick Reply: New to me - 997.1 S