Automatic re-locking; did you know?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
Did not know until today that if you unlock your car and do not open the doors, the car will re-lock automatically in about 90 seconds.
It's been in the manual since day one.

That's why you don't have to worry about whether you "locked" or "unlocked" the car as you walked away. Either way, it will wind up locked in 90 seconds. It's so that you don't have to hear that annoying chirp that the car is locked when you press the key's button.

RTM!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:54 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's been in the manual since day one.

That's why you don't have to worry about whether you "locked" or "unlocked" the car as you walked away. Either way, it will wind up locked in 90 seconds. It's so that you don't have to hear that annoying chirp that the car is locked when you press the key's button.

RTM!

Actually, no. It will not automatically lock. You actually have to unlock the car first (assuming it was already locked), then if you do nothing but walk away, in the configured time, it will automatically lock.

I can unlock my car. Open the door, close it, then walk away for a year and the car will still be unlocked. I don't have a chirp, thank goodness that is not on by default.

Should you RTM?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s4alex
Actually, no. It will not automatically lock. You actually have to unlock the car first (assuming it was already locked), then if you do nothing but walk away, in the configured time, it will automatically lock.

I can unlock my car. Open the door, close it, then walk away for a year and the car will still be unlocked. I don't have a chirp, thank goodness that is not on by default.

Should you RTM?

I think you mis-understood me. Many will press their key buttons and then forget, did I press it or not? Provided they did not disturb the car's doors in anyway, the car will LOCK ITSELF automatically on it's own.

Am I missing something in your comment?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't have a chirp, thank goodness that is not on by default.
There is no chirp to turn on or off so there's nothing to worry about default or not.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Should you RTM?

In your scenario you broke the auto lock cycle by opening the door (that's in the manual too).
Old 04-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manuals are amazing aren't they?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

I would think that this issue does not warrant one's anxiety re a manufacturer defined UI (user interface). RL members like the car for its unique characteristics, and this is one of them. Sure, different from others (Honda, et. al) but PAG is known to do things differently - like all-inthe-rear architecture, ignition on the left, etc. Take it all as a package, and enjoy it rather than fretting about it, I think.
The following users liked this post:
ohmyggg (07-08-2022)
Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Yes, I have known about this function since my 996 ownership days and I like it. I like not having to use separate lock & unlock buttons as there is no need for separate buttons. If the car is locked and you press the lock/unlock button, it unlocks the car. If it is unlocked and you press the button, it will lock the car. It is really a very simple and functional design. Also with on less button, the key is lighter, which makes the car go faster!
Yeah, been that way at least since the 9x6 cars.

I like separate buttons though. With one button if you aren't sure if you locked it or not you have to be in a place to see the lights flash (at least on the 996) to see if your second attempt locked or unlocked it and in the later you then have to do it again (and possibly continue to repeat the process if you are unlucky). With a separate button there is no question about the operation no mater how may times you press it. We run into this frequently (the reception has always been flaky) and it usually involves walking back to the car to test a door handle.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

I like the feature for 2 reasons. 1 if you don't know if you locked the car (maybe missed the light flash) just press the button again. If it wasn't locked, it is now and if it was locked, it unlocked, but will relock by itself. If by chance someone else's remote unlocked your car in a garage, it will relock by itself. I'm not sure how possible this is with the rolling frequency technology, but unless they know they just unlocked your car and open the door, it will relock.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:23 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
There is no chirp to turn on or off so there's nothing to worry about default or not.
Actually, you can program the alarm horn using a Durametric..

Try locking your car while the glove compartment or center console is open. The car will beep. That is the same beep you can enable.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:27 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
In your scenario you broke the auto lock cycle by opening the door (that's in the manual too).

I know that. Its just that the way he wrote his response, there was no initial lock. He just stated that you walk away and the car locks. His instructions missed the the first step, which is usually the most important step in most instructions.

Devil is in the details. If a person asks a question and you give incomplete or incorrect instructions, you set up the person for failure.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:57 PM
newmexicomatt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it really annoying that there is no beep when I lock my car. I can rarely hear the door locks engage when I lock with the key remote. I always have to walk back and check the door to make sure the car is locked. I had it at the dealer a few weeks ago and they told me this could not be programmed to beep. I also tried to see if they could program it so that the doors would not lock while I'm in the car driving...for two reasons...one because I hate having to pull the door handle twice to get out and two, because the little red light on the center of the dash is too bright at night. Dealer said they programmed that one away, but it didn't take. Still does it. I'm about to take a Sharpie and color in the light!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:20 AM
s4alex
Instructor

Originally Posted by newmexicomatt
I find it really annoying that there is no beep when I lock my car. I can rarely hear the door locks engage when I lock with the key remote. I always have to walk back and check the door to make sure the car is locked. I had it at the dealer a few weeks ago and they told me this could not be programmed to beep. I also tried to see if they could program it so that the doors would not lock while I'm in the car driving...for two reasons...one because I hate having to pull the door handle twice to get out and two, because the little red light on the center of the dash is too bright at night. Dealer said they programmed that one away, but it didn't take. Still does it. I'm about to take a Sharpie and color in the light!
Okay, then, I guess for beeping, your only option is to leave the center console ajar... or take out the little metal clip and your car will beep upon locking.

As for the auto door lock.. if you have a 997.2 w Sport Chrono, you do it through the PCM.

On the PCM, select Info, Options, Individual Settings, Autolock.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:58 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The lack of a beep is something most likely forced upon by countries like Switzerland which mandates very strict anti-noise regulations in the environment. (It is also the reason the sport exhaust quiets itself during certain speeds).

Personally, I find people's beeps throughout parking structures to be rather annoying.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:09 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't really care for it. I lock the car when I lock it, and then I unlock it when I unlock it. I don't like for the car to decide that maybe I forgot to lock it.

Typically I'll come back from a hike or be coming out from the grocery store - I'll unlock the car and pop the frunk. I may switch out of muddy hiking boots and into sneakers, or just load up a bunch of groceries or whatever into the frunk. Then I'll walk over to the car, and in some cases my free hand may have a back pack, or another grocery bag and i'll reach for the door and it's re-locked itself.

I've never had an instance where I've been like, "Wow. That's convenient!" but I've had several instances where I've said, "That's stupid. I would like to deprogram that feature."

Yes, I had read about it in the manual. It's just not a feature I find useful at all.

Quick Reply: Automatic re-locking; did you know?