Automatic re-locking; did you know?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:11 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
I've never had an instance where I've been like, "Wow. That's convenient!"
To be fair I think it's one of those that you only notice in situations where it would be irritating. Otherwise it is quietly doing its job because you had no need to get in the car after an "accidental" unlock.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:33 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by s4alex
Actually, you can program the alarm horn using a Durametric..

Try locking your car while the glove compartment or center console is open. The car will beep. That is the same beep you can enable.
I'm aware of the horn beep to indicate a fault...but there is no way for the Durametric to program the horn beep on lock...if you know how to do it please share - folks have been trying to do it for years and no one has.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:03 AM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Yes, I have known about this function since my 996 ownership days and I like it. I like not having to use separate lock & unlock buttons as there is no need for separate buttons. If the car is locked and you press the lock/unlock button, it unlocks the car. If it is unlocked and you press the button, it will lock the car. It is really a very simple and functional design.

Also with on less button, the key is lighter, which makes the car go faster!
Originally Posted by gnat
Yeah, been that way at least since the 9x6 cars.

I like separate buttons though. With one button if you aren't sure if you locked it or not you have to be in a place to see the lights flash (at least on the 996) to see if your second attempt locked or unlocked it and in the later you then have to do it again (and possibly continue to repeat the process if you are unlucky). With a separate button there is no question about the operation no mater how may times you press it. We run into this frequently (the reception has always been flaky) and it usually involves walking back to the car to test a door handle.
The lack of a second button straight up pisses me off. I ALWAYS have to test the door handle. Sometimes I can't tell if the signal made it to the car. So then I hit it again. Then I have NO IDEA if it's locked or unlocked. And how do I explain to my insurance company that I walked away from the car not sure if it was locked and that's why it got stolen or something?

Flat out stupid design. There is NO benefit to only having one button on the remote. Well, aside from making it faster
Old 04-24-2015, 10:05 AM
newmexicomatt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, then, I guess for beeping, your only option is to leave the center console ajar... or take out the little metal clip and your car will beep upon locking.

As for the auto door lock.. if you have a 997.2 w Sport Chrono, you do it through the PCM.

On the PCM, select Info, Options, Individual Settings, Autolock.
Center console? As in the arm rest?
Old 04-24-2015, 10:51 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by newmexicomatt
Center console? As in the arm rest?
That only works on the 996...center console lid is not monitored by the alarm system in the 997 - glove box is but not center console. On the 996 the center console could be locked and that's probably why it was monitored.

As was posted before - "Devil is in the details. If a person asks a question and you give incomplete or incorrect instructions, you set up the person for failure."
Old 04-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

It has always annoyed me that there is no audible signal when the car locks or unlocks. I am always in a hurry and I don't like to have to watch the lights to see if the car is locking or unlocking.

BUT, the fact that the car has autolock means that when you're walking away from the car, if you're not sure you locked the car, you can push the button on the key fob button two or three times and no matter what, the car will either lock or wind up locked after a few seconds. And if you lock the car and then accidentally unlock it as you're walking away or from inside your house, the car will rectify your mistake after a few seconds.

The only time the autolock annoys me is when I open the frunk and take too much time getting stuff in and then try to get into the car. Opening the frunk unlocks the doors but after about 30 seconds, the car autolocks and I have to find the key in my pocket and unlock the car again.

Even so, it's not a major annoyance to me.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I am with Iceter. I have learned to push the one button multiple times if I am not sure which with the auto lock function will lock the car...eventually.

I do miss having a beep tho.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Amazing thread... how a little thing ties people up in knots! It appears that most of the posters never enjoyed an early 911 with their many idiosyncrasies. I often wonder how many Porsche sports cars fans are left over, given that the posted issues have mostly to do do with doodads and lifestyle issues.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Amazing thread... how a little thing ties people up in knots! It appears that most of the posters never enjoyed an early 911 with their many idiosyncrasies. I often wonder how many Porsche sports cars fans are left over, given that the posted issues have mostly to do do with doodads and lifestyle issues.
This is how we learn, and hopefully, how Porsche learns what to do and what not to do. If they are smart (and I assume by their profit margins that they are), then someone, somewhere is monitoring Porsche-related websites and reading client correspondence and making notes about what drives people crazy and what they like.

And, as crazy as it sounds, sometimes tiny idiosyncrasies interfere with or increase sales. Very small items like a push-button start or the placement of a vanity mirror can have a measurable impact on the sales of a model.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:33 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Iceter
. BUT, the fact that the car has autolock means that when you're walking away from the car, if you're not sure you locked the car, you can push the button on the key fob button two or three times and no matter what, the car will either lock or wind up locked after a few seconds.
In the 996 if you do that too quickly (and it recognizes all of the presses) it will disable the interior monitor. My 958 Cayenne is like that too, but it at least has separate lock and unlock buttons (and an incredibly annoying horn beep that I despise).
Old 04-24-2015, 08:24 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
In the 996 if you do that too quickly (and it recognizes all of the presses) it will disable the interior monitor.
Same feature exists on 997 - disable interior motion sensor with two pushes of lock button.

Deactivating the passenger compartment
monitoring system for one locking
process
If a person or animal remains in the car while it is
locked, the passenger compartment monitoring
system must be switched off.
f Quickly lock car twice.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:31 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I know that. Its just that the way he wrote his response, there was no initial lock. He just stated that you walk away and the car locks. His instructions missed the the first step, which is usually the most important step in most instructions.

Devil is in the details. If a person asks a question and you give incomplete or incorrect instructions, you set up the person for failure.
Reread the first sencence in his second paragraph (below). He did infer the act of pressing the button. How else can you lock or unlock the car as you are walking away?

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's been in the manual since day one.

That's why you don't have to worry about whether you "locked" or "unlocked" the car as you walked away. Either way, it will wind up locked in 90 seconds. It's so that you don't have to hear that annoying chirp that the car is locked when you press the key's button.

RTM!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:08 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcoRemius
The lack of a second button straight up pisses me off. I ALWAYS have to test the door handle. Sometimes I can't tell if the signal made it to the car. So then I hit it again. Then I have NO IDEA if it's locked or unlocked. And how do I explain to my insurance company that I walked away from the car not sure if it was locked and that's why it got stolen or something?

Flat out stupid design. There is NO benefit to only having one button on the remote. Well, aside from making it faster
I don't know how a key fob with separate locking and unlocking buttons would resolve this issue. Would having a two button (lock and unlock) fob guarantee that the signal made it to the car? What happens if you accidentally pressed the unlock button instead of the lock button? They you would have unknowingly left the car unlocked. Having two separate buttons increases the potential to not lock the car, IMO.

With your current one button fob, if you press the button a second time and actually unlock the car, the car will lock in about 60 seconds, assuming you don't open one of the doors before it locks.

On top of all that, a second button would add a lot of weight and the car would feel slow and sluggish, as if you were driving it with the parking brake engaged.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:26 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

The advantage of the second button is that you can tell by feel which action you have told it to do. While it does not make sure the car received the signal, it does allow you to press the same button multiple times (see motion sensor comment) and know that the only thing it will do is lock the car if it isn't already.

I will admit, however that I have hit the hatch button a few times by mistake which is really annoying since they don't let you close the hatch from the remote

Quick Reply: Automatic re-locking; did you know?