Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah I am referring to the white/grayish one. The one responsible for the ignition cutoff.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:42 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Depends on which switch you're talking about. The one that makes you press the clutch in to start the car is up high. The one that changes the timing is low and on the clutch pedal. You can only bypass the clutch pedal one on the .1 cars. On a .2, you get an error message.
Just found this thread and it has been really helpful, thanks. sorry but have a question. I have an 997.1 09 turbo, spec wise it is kind of a tweener with a PCM3 system from a 997.2. I do not get a press the clutch message (only on 997.2?) so in this context I guess my car is simply a 997.1. I hate the clutch function. I have to hold the pedal down really hard and even then it sometimes only clicks and you have to completely recycle the key to try to start it again. If I understand this thread I can simply by-pass the switch with two flat male connectors on a short wire and the car will start with the clutch depressed or not? Is the switch location easily accessible or is some disassembly required? Thanks for any advice provided.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,188 Likes on 3,945 Posts

Originally Posted by 550bryan
Just found this thread and it has been really helpful, thanks. sorry but have a question. I have an 997.1 09 turbo, spec wise it is kind of a tweener with a PCM3 system from a 997.2. I do not get a press the clutch message (only on 997.2?) so in this context I guess my car is simply a 997.1. I hate the clutch function. I have to hold the pedal down really hard and even then it sometimes only clicks and you have to completely recycle the key to try to start it again. If I understand this thread I can simply by-pass the switch with two flat male connectors on a short wire and the car will start with the clutch depressed or not? Is the switch location easily accessible or is some disassembly required? Thanks for any advice provided.
No, the switch we're talking about bypassing is the one on the clutch pedal itself and retards the timing as the clutch is being released, which creates a hesitation in the motor. The switch you're having the problem with is the other one up higher and is the one responsible for not allowing the car to start unless the clutch pedal is depressed. I would not bypass that switch, even if it can be, but it sounds like yours isn't working properly and should be adjusted or replaced as what you describe as part of your starting protocol has never happened to me on either of my 997s.

If you turn your key like you're trying to start the car without pressing the clutch, you don't get a message in the center of the cluster that says Depress Clutch and has a picture of a foot on a pedal?
Old 07-15-2019, 07:33 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I checked and I do get the push clutch pedal message on the IP. I can see the red switch which is activated when the pedal is moved at all, so I realize it ins't the start safety switch. I need a little better access than I have now to see further up the clutch arm. The switch has been a problem since I owned the car. The dealer says it can't be adjusted so I had it replaced and it made no difference. Even though I push hard on the pedal it unusually clicks like I have a dead battery so I have to recycle ignition and really lay on the pedal until it starts. I have had some many cars without the safety feature including two today so I'm used to the drill. I do worry about technicians driving the car though.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:24 AM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 550bryan
I checked and I do get the push clutch pedal message on the IP. I can see the red switch which is activated when the pedal is moved at all, so I realize it ins't the start safety switch. I need a little better access than I have now to see further up the clutch arm. The switch has been a problem since I owned the car. The dealer says it can't be adjusted so I had it replaced and it made no difference. Even though I push hard on the pedal it unusually clicks like I have a dead battery so I have to recycle ignition and really lay on the pedal until it starts. I have had some many cars without the safety feature including two today so I'm used to the drill. I do worry about technicians driving the car though.

You should be able to get an iphone down there and take video of the switches as you either depress pedal with hand..or get one of your kids (if you have) to push pedal down. Your bracket might be misaligned and not keeping the switch in the proper place while the pedal is moving.

You could also twist the switch off the pedal assembly and then just squeeze it with your fingers and attempt to start (pls make sure ebrake is on and car is out of gear).
Old 03-03-2024, 11:24 PM
defurr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted to swap out this guy today, but found it virtually impossible to get my allen torx T10 into position to loosen the current screw. I had no appetite to remove other pieces. So instead, I got creative and did the following:
  1. Pulled the leads off the old switch
  2. Attached the leads to the new switch
  3. Used electrical tape to permanently depress the silver lever on the new switch (not too tight, so as not to deform the switch itself but several wraps)
  4. There was enough play in the leads to tuck the new switch into a nearby cavity (the top of the fuse box area in the footwell)
Car starts every time now. Any downsides to this approach, aside from an errant valet forgetting to push in the clutch?
Old 03-03-2024, 11:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,188 Likes on 3,945 Posts

Won't deactivate the cruise control if the clutch is pushed in
The following users liked this post:
jchapura (03-03-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 09:42 PM
Nate R
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by defurr
I attempted to swap out this guy today, but found it virtually impossible to get my allen torx T10 into position to loosen the current screw. I had no appetite to remove other pieces. So instead, I got creative and did the following:
  1. Pulled the leads off the old switch
  2. Attached the leads to the new switch
  3. Used electrical tape to permanently depress the silver lever on the new switch (not too tight, so as not to deform the switch itself but several wraps)
  4. There was enough play in the leads to tuck the new switch into a nearby cavity (the top of the fuse box area in the footwell)
Car starts every time now. Any downsides to this approach, aside from an errant valet forgetting to push in the clutch?

I recently did this and used a bit ratchet, they are cheap and you can get into really tight spots.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal switch replacement