997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who tries to race you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015 | 06:37 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Honestly, the only people that try to race me are, GTRs ,Corvettes and M5 s. And frankly ,that hasn't happened in a while.

Once in a blue moon , a R8 guy wants to give me a go.
Old 04-07-2015 | 06:59 PM
Supermode
Racer

Just this past weekend I was merging on to the highway at night and I noticed someone was riding really close on my bumper. As soon as I merged in to my lane, a C5 Z06 blew right past me expecting me to follow him. Although those things are beasts, I said to myself "lets see how fast and straight you can go on a track, buddy".

2011 C4S M6 SPASM
Old 04-07-2015 | 06:59 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Mostly mustangs and sometimes pickup trucks. I usually get people giving me the thumbs up and tailgating. WRX's and STI's, usually like to drive side by side and snap pictures. I get a lot of compliments, not a lot of "you wanna race?" Maybe my huge wing in the back scares them.

Minivan drivers are opposite of Prius drivers, they are not trying to race you, they are trying to get in front of you, doesn't matter which car you are in. I love to follow them, they are my kind of drivers. Oh wait, I drive one on the weekends.
Old 04-07-2015 | 09:31 PM
r_32
Instructor

Civics for some reason love to race. They come up at stops all the time and rev away w their fart can exhausts. No idea why. Bro trucks would probably be next but I really have a problem with them in the Cayenne.

I never take the bait because the down side if/when they get out over their skis and wreck would be ridiculously large with police and insurance. Would love to tell the story at work about how I wanted to embarrass the 180hp civic in my 911 and they wrecked and are a vegetable. Oh yeah, plus my sabbatical as I go to jail would do wonders for the family... I seriously never understand people who do take the bait as there is too much to lose for us.
Old 04-07-2015 | 10:18 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by r_32
I never take the bait because the down side if/when they get out over their skis and wreck would be ridiculously large with police and insurance. Would love to tell the story at work about how I wanted to embarrass the 180hp civic in my 911 and they wrecked and are a vegetable. Oh yeah, plus my sabbatical as I go to jail would do wonders for the family... I seriously never understand people who do take the bait as there is too much to lose for us.
Words of wisdom right there.

When I was younger, I would run people all the time. But of course when you are younger, you are invincible and nothing can ever happen to you. The irony is that now I can afford much nicer cars, I rarely drive stupid fast on the road. If I do, I like to be by myself, with no other traffic around. But really I have more fun in corners than on straights. The reality is that there are few enough opportunities to fully exercise 350-400hp on the public road anyway. I look at it this way - I bought my 911 for myself (and worked bloody hard for it too!!), not to show off or to show up others on the road. If someone else doesn't like it or has something to prove, then that's his or her problem (and they can f*ck right off!!)
Old 04-07-2015 | 10:27 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Well, when you pay attention to your surroundings you will definitely know when someone wants to race. Hard to miss the pulling up beside the car and downshifting, pulling in front and gunning it, or revving at a stop.

Maybe it doesn't happen to you. Might be a regional thing too.
It probably happens, I just usually drive my car like an old lady (no offense to old ladies) when I'm on public streets/roads and don't pay attention to cars stopped next to me. It's not like I'm a paragon of righteousness though, I just try to keep as low a profile as possible in a car that resembles a very large M&M.
Old 04-07-2015 | 10:33 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
Nobody ever calls out my 911.

I get more compliments on my 911; I got far more race challenges when I had the Boxster (I think the WRX and Evo kids feel much more confident racing a Boxster).
Same here
Old 04-08-2015 | 02:56 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Sometimes (particularly at night) I'll get a CHP or other LEO right up my bumper and kind of pushing, but I never take the bait.

If I'm doing 72 and the cops come up quick I just move over, but quite often they, just hang behind me in whatever lane I'm in, and push my personal space button for a while.

I figure they probably just like the smell of them high flow cats...
Um, I don't think the LEO's are inviting you to race when they do this...
Old 04-08-2015 | 02:59 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

^^ that's true, but it seems clear they are looking for trouble.
Old 04-08-2015 | 02:31 PM
wc11
Race Car

It's not just the cars.
It's a combination of car and age group of the drivers.
Males under 25 are the usual suspects.
Old 04-08-2015 | 02:49 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

I had a Subaru WRX try to race me... I ignored him. Not worth my time and headache.
Old 04-08-2015 | 03:18 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

#1 culprit are minivans... the more rust on them the higher the likelihood. #2 spot is shared by g37ths and 3 series BMWs
Old 04-08-2015 | 07:56 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Originally Posted by wc11
Males under 25 are the usual suspects.

Apparently that and mass shootings are what that demographics are known for. Must stay away from them at all times.

Old 04-08-2015 | 08:11 PM
cheechs
Advanced

Motorcycles and I usually win
Old 04-08-2015 | 08:26 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Its always the modern "Muscle Cars"...Mustangs, Camaro's and Challengers. Of course, only the orange, neon green or speed yellow ones, with the racing stripes.

My favorite "race" story. I'm at a stop light on the other side of town where PCars are not as common. Top down about 10:30pm. This middle aged guy pulls up next to me in an older, 4 door sedan (honestly have no idea what it was) and yells over at me, "You wanna go?". I'm like, "Excuse me?" He points to the next light about a quarter mile down the road and repeats, "You wanna go?"

I look at him and ask, "Do YOU wanna go?"

He starts laughing and just says, "No. Not at all!"

Probably the best compliment I have ever gotten about my car.

Quick Reply: Who tries to race you?