Sponsored by:

Who tries to race you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:18 AM
JCD911S
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mleddy
All Volkswagen drivers. Jetta, CC, Passat, or Golf, doesn't matter. Not sure why. Are Volkswagen drivers a "little off"?
C'mon man, I drive a Golf. Lol

I like german cars, so other than my 911, I have a Golf TDI that I daily drive. It's got a few mods to make the drive a bit more fun, but the thing is a trooper at over 300k miles and still getting me over 40MPG. I try to stay low key at work and this also helps. Not sure for the rest of the VW drivers, but in my case, yes, when I see a 911 on the road I'll try to get a closer look to see what's been done to it or simply to admire as I miss mine. With a little 4 banger engine, I'm in no way pulling up to taunt nor race. Seems like some people just have the perception that anyone driving fast around them or getting anywhere near them is trying to race. Sure, there are some A-holes out there, but there are some who just want to offer a thumbs up.

There are also those who just like to judge anyone driving lesser of a car compared to their Porsche. Little do they know, they're judging someone who has a Porsche or more exotic car tucked away for the weekend. Respect DAS Auto.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2015, 04:23 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I've put over 190,000 miles combined on various high performance vehicles over the last 9 years so there's been more cars than I can count who want to race and it's been all kinds of brands.

I normally wave it off and just go about my business, though a couple times that was impossible. One that is ingrained - Back when I was just out of the Army I had a little Mustang GT - V8 with about 330hp / Auto transmission with aggressive 4.10 gears - fun car. Anyway i'm sitting at a stoplight one evening in Virginia and up pulls this $400,000 dollar Rolls Royce Phantom....WOW...i'm staring at this car just admiring it and the driver looks over (Tony Soprano looking guy) and yells WANNA RACE ? I'LL EAT YA!

Light goes green right there and I stomp on that gas and roasted him! So i'm at the next stoplight about a mile own the road and up pulls old Tony all grouchy saying "I was in the wrong gear." lol
Old 04-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mustangs.

Almost every model, from the rattiest Foxbody to the new S550 5.0 GT.

I second the mommymobiles as well.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:36 AM
mleddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yikes

Originally Posted by JCD911S
C'mon man, I drive a Golf. Lol

I like german cars, so other than my 911, I have a Golf TDI that I daily drive. It's got a few mods to make the drive a bit more fun, but the thing is a trooper at over 300k miles and still getting me over 40MPG. I try to stay low key at work and this also helps. Not sure for the rest of the VW drivers, but in my case, yes, when I see a 911 on the road I'll try to get a closer look to see what's been done to it or simply to admire as I miss mine. With a little 4 banger engine, I'm in no way pulling up to taunt nor race. Seems like some people just have the perception that anyone driving fast around them or getting anywhere near them is trying to race. Sure, there are some A-holes out there, but there are some who just want to offer a thumbs up.

There are also those who just like to judge anyone driving lesser of a car compared to their Porsche. Little do they know, they're judging someone who has a Porsche or more exotic car tucked away for the weekend. Respect DAS Auto.
Didn't mean to open a wound. I don't drive around pointing at "lesser" cars and laughing. I have two neighbors that own Golf GTIs and they are always looking for a "race". My sons girlfriend leases a Passat and she likes to tease me that her car is really fast. That was it.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

This morning it was a massive, jacked up diesel pick up.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:08 PM
terminator911
Track Day

Usually get new camaros and vettes, and BMWs.Got beat by a friends c5 vette with nitrous after about 90 mph,after I pulled him from 50 to 90 ,then he hit a 200 shot of nitrous and came by me,but he blew the transmission about half a mile after that.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by terminator911
Usually get new camaros and vettes, and BMWs.Got beat by a friends c5 vette with nitrous after about 90 mph,after I pulled him from 50 to 90 ,then he hit a 200 shot of nitrous and came by me,but he blew the transmission about half a mile after that.
Carma
Old 04-10-2015, 05:38 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Since owning my car, I have had the privilege of being taunted to race from a 2004 Mustang GT, 2014 370Z Nismo, and last but not least the best one - a guy driving a Tesla S with two kids in the back and his wife in front, right in the heart of the Silicon Valley on a 45mph street

I typically just mind my own business and let them have their kick and just ignore them
Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 PM
newmexicomatt
Advanced

WRX's mostly....big pick ups with NRA stickers....I love letting them think I'm going to "go" then watch as they speed away. Many years ago, when I was a bit more foolish I was making a leisurely drive from Santa Fe to Albuquerque in my BMW 850CSi. I had the cruise set at 78mph when an SUV came up behind me. He wouldn't pass, so I slowed down, he got closer. So I sped up to 80. He stayed on my tail so I slowed down again...still wouldn't pass. Once I got a big open stretch I buried it. I was doing 115 when his red lights came on. I immediately pulled to the side...he couldn't stop as fast and he drove past me. He had to back up to get behind me. "why did you stop so fast?" he asked. I told him I had really good brakes and thought whenever you see red lights you pull over immediately. He said "this is your lucky day, I have a governor on my truck and can only ticket you for 95mph, but I know you were going faster". I went to court and got out of that one...I should have gone to jail that night! Lesson learned.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:55 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had one of the newer Jeep SRT's try to race me just the other day. I was coming up along him and he started to slow down. As soon as I got to his passenger side door he gunned it. I just shook my head.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:28 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheBlackMamba
1. pickup trucks
2. the tuner crowd - lowered Civic's, Jetta's, Golf's, Mitsubishi's, Subaru's
3. Mustang's, Camaro's, Corvette's

I try to avoid all these chimps...
Yup...same here
Old 04-20-2015, 04:48 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by cheechs
Motorcycles and I usually win
Yeah right. When you said motorcycles - I'll take that to mean scooters? Otherwise the people that you think you're racing are clearly on a different page than you are.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If you see me in my Boss302 don't race me or you'll lose...ask me how I know

(911 Turbo exempt)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mainly ricers around us. The occasional Mustang.

Interesting though - the Vette guys don't even make eye contact.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Yeah right. When you said motorcycles - I'll take that to mean scooters? Otherwise the people that you think you're racing are clearly on a different page than you are.
Nope, I doubt it. Believe he has a 2011 turbo (s?). That will take out the vast majority of sport bikes from a dig... I'd wager 95% of liter bikes too, if he has pdk and uses launch control.

Even from a roll, most sport bikes out there won't keep up...

Quick Reply: Who tries to race you?