Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who tries to race you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:25 PM
better late than never
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was turning at a light and a massive Dodge Ram pickup must of thought I was trying to race him because he stomped on it. Because that's what 911's do they race pickups ! Funny thing is, the guy was offended that I didn't race him, I could tell by his gesturing.

The weekend before some young dude in a Chevy Trailblazer did the same thing.
What is with these morons in trucks that think they can hang with a 911?

I guess if you have over 250 Hp it feels like you can beat anything moving with your automatic lol

And all this happens on 45 mph streets with lots of traffic and billions of side streets for people to pull out. They have to be arresting these dudes and impounding there vehicles left and right these days.

Last edited by better late than never; 05-26-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Sorry but you can't do the math like that (I'll put aside using 140 lbs as the avg rider weight too... unless you mean in Japan perhaps).
... I used to weigh 140 lbs.

... Before law school.

0-60, sure, a car has more traction, but you're right - up to about 130-140 MPH, the bike is in it's sweet spot, then the car begins to pull away.

When I was young and dumb (and 135 lbs), I had a "K1" Suzuki GSX-R 750 ... Oh, the stories I have accumulated on that bike ...
Old 05-26-2015, 02:09 PM
upier
Racer

Originally Posted by better late than never
I was turning at a light and a massive Dodge Ram pickup must of thought I was trying to race him because he stopped on it. Because that's what 911's do they race pickups ! Funny thing is, the guy was offended that I didn't him, I could tell by his gesturing.

The weekend before some you dude in a Chevy Trailblazer clear did the same thing.
What is with these morns in trucks that think they can hang with a 911?

I guess if you have over 250 Hp it feels like you can beat anything moving with your automatic lol

And all this happens on 45 mph streets with lots of traffic and billions of side streets for people to pull out. They have to be arresting these dudes and impounding there vehicles left and right these days.
I've come to hate pickup and SUV drivers on the highway. They have a big motor and think they can fly down the road weaving in and out. They also love to tailgate. I just try to stay out of their way. They can't turn and they can't stop
Old 05-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

It was an old Lexus IS 300 or whatever it was in the mid-90's - lowered with a fat can yesterday when I had my 7 year old in the car. She asked me if he was a moron when he was revving the motor at the light and squealed away.... "yes, sweetheart - he is.... but that's still not a nice thing to say."
Old 05-26-2015, 05:18 PM
upier
Racer

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
It was an old Lexus IS 300 or whatever it was in the mid-90's - lowered with a fat can yesterday when I had my 7 year old in the car. She asked me if he was a moron when he was revving the motor at the light and squealed away.... "yes, sweetheart - he is.... but that's still not a nice thing to say."
Wisdom from the mouth of children.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
Quadcammer, I really did drive the Superformance over 140 K, lots of track time too. And quickly learned to always wear ear plugs. I took out the first speedo at 98K miles, then put in a new one, still have the original one to someday mount. The SPF was my only car and daily driver for the first 6 years of the decade I owned it.

all the best...
damn man, you got some cojones on you.

pretty hardcore
Old 06-04-2015, 02:45 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious how others' experience has been but who tends to try and race you when you're driving your Porsche?
Everybody around my car. No exceptions.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:26 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

I did a couple pretty long trips over the past week and, yet again, had a few people either racing, or pacing, my car.

One guy followed my every move for about an hour or so. I figure it was because they thought I had a radar detector and was a safe/courteous driver with good pace since I had some "higher rate of speed" runs along with some more "modestly paced" moments ahead of radar spots (Waze is a great app btw...), and passed left and cruised right. Which seems a bit of a rarity... They kept a very responsible distance behind me, so no tailgating, and the guy was with his gf/wife. At first disconcerting until I saw how courteous they were being in their own driving, so I didn't mind.

Others... well... had some people pull up and clearly want to make a go of it, which I ignored. On this trip it was a mix of cars, but, as always, I had a couple blacked out G37s do some dumb driving around me as I neared the city. It pretty much never fails that I get at least a couple Infinitis on these longer trips, almost always with the heavy window tint...

Worst of all (and slightly off topic) was a teen driver who was going about 65 and swerving between lanes ahead of me... as I very carefully passed (making sure to honk to get her attention and giving a wide berth) I saw she was trying to text with one hand. Made the "hang up the phone" signal with my own hand, honked a couple more times to make my point and then made sure there was ample ground between us. She "appeared" to stop texting but maybe she just hit "send" ... that pisses me off more than almost anything.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I did a couple pretty long trips over the past week and, yet again, had a few people either racing, or pacing, my car.

One guy followed my every move for about an hour or so. I figure it was because they thought I had a radar detector and was a safe/courteous driver with good pace since I had some "higher rate of speed" runs along with some more "modestly paced" moments ahead of radar spots (Waze is a great app btw...), and passed left and cruised right. Which seems a bit of a rarity... They kept a very responsible distance behind me, so no tailgating, and the guy was with his gf/wife. At first disconcerting until I saw how courteous they were being in their own driving, so I didn't mind.

Others... well... had some people pull up and clearly want to make a go of it, which I ignored. On this trip it was a mix of cars, but, as always, I had a couple blacked out G37s do some dumb driving around me as I neared the city. It pretty much never fails that I get at least a couple Infinitis on these longer trips, almost always with the heavy window tint...

Worst of all (and slightly off topic) was a teen driver who was going about 65 and swerving between lanes ahead of me... as I very carefully passed (making sure to honk to get her attention and giving a wide berth) I saw she was trying to text with one hand. Made the "hang up the phone" signal with my own hand, honked a couple more times to make my point and then made sure there was ample ground between us. She "appeared" to stop texting but maybe she just hit "send" ... that pisses me off more than almost anything.
Pacers, that's what I get mostly in the 911. People generally just follow the car from a safe distance (I would too if the car in front of me was this good looking). BTW good job of saving your life from the wreckless driver, she'll likely murder 1 or 2 people before she's 30.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:59 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Pacers, that's what I get mostly in the 911. People generally just follow the car from a safe distance (I would too if the car in front of me was this good looking). BTW good job of saving your life from the wreckless driver, she'll likely murder 1 or 2 people before she's 30.
I seriously wish cops would focus on that BS rather than someone going 15 over without traffic... cops should be in unmarked cars and look for this stuff... and actually enforce whatever (weak) laws there are out there.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

What is it with Nissan or Infiniti drivers?

They either don't know how to drive, or are extremely aggressive. I've noticed this to be the case in Chicago. There's very little middle ground.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:02 PM
terminator911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a guy in a Niisan altima blow by me two nights ago at about 100 mph.then slow down to race me. I think most people with nissans and infinitis dont think they can beat a porsche they just want to see how fast a porsche is or want to hear it. Had a guy video taping my gt3 on the highway and asked for me to wind it out.So I took it to 8400 rpm for him. He gave me the thumbs up and they drove off.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 240 Posts

All of these guys ....
Greetings from Laguna Seca
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2015, 04:02 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Normally pulling up beside an F150 is enough to make the driver act like an asshat, yesterday had the top down and a military tux on (going to a Sqn mess dinner) wow does that get a reaction coal rolling crowd!!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Ezkill
Racer

I don't even know what street racing looks like anymore since I simply refuse to engage. Mostly it's idiots on the highway doing stuff that could be construed as wanting to race, but again I just don't engage. Today an M5 came screaming up to my bumper in the fast lane as I'm going at the speed of traffic in the furthest left lane that is not a carpool lane..he swerves across into the carpool lane illegally over 2 solid yellow lines, swerves out back in front of me and starts brake checking. Probably wanted to race. I just backed off his bumper and turned the cruise back on, no biggie.

All the cars I drive attract some type of idiot. Porsche seems to be mostly BMW's and Mercs. Muscle Car attracts lesser muscle cars and Exotic attracts uhhhhh not fast Japanese cars with large spoilers and fart cans(tried to be politically correct here). To me it seems like it's just people that have something to prove for some odd reason. In my experience around here each car attracts a different kind of racer. There is pattern for sure. Merc & BMW versus Porsche, V6 Camaro's versus Shelby and Tuner Cars versus Exotic. Other then the faster BMW's and Merc's all of the scenarios would be a waste of gas and also dangerous. I see enough fatal accidents on the highway.

Quick Reply: Who tries to race you?