Sponsored by:

Over-rev and comp. test #'s on GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:28 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Over-rev and comp. test #'s on GTS

I'm looking at this 2012 GTS manual and was almost ready to pull the trigger (numbers were good) but I had a look at the DME over-rev report and it showed this:

Range 1: 11517 @ 387.62h
Range 2: 462 @ 349.49h
Range 3: 29 @ 239.07h
Range 4: 101 @ 239.07h
Range 5: 150 @ 239.07h
Range 6: 129 @ 239.07h
M120_Misfire counter for every ignition: 34385
Operating hours: 410.5h
Odometer: 15249 miles

Because of the range 4-6 ignitions, the dealership had to perform a compression and leakdown test and submit the results to Porsche to be able to CPO the car. The results of the compression test are:

Cylinder 1: 250
Cylinder 2: 240
Cylinder 3: 240
Cylinder 4: 240
Cylinder 5: 239
Cylinder 6: 245

They report is pretty light on the details and doesn't list any units but it says since all 6 cylinders are within specification (less than 7% loss), they were able to CPO the car despite the range 4-6 ignitions.

I'm guessing the previous owner had an incident at 239.07 hours where it was a mis-shift? I will inquire to see if he remembers it. For now, should this be a definite no because of this or is it still worth considering? The people at the dealership say the car runs extremely well and I shouldn't be worried about the small number of range 4-6 ignitions. Car still has the original factory warranty and the CPO will take over after that.

Thanks in advance for any input - would help me a lot!
Old 04-04-2015, 01:24 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations first on that 2012 GTS manual, they're not easy to find.

They say after over-revs that the next 50h of the engine life are most important. The GTS in question ran 171h after the incident and did not break down, the subsequent compression and leakdown tests were positive, so you get the CPO protection. In my opinion that's a good thing (mechanically and insurance wise).

It seems that this was indeed a mis-shift or losing ground for a short period under full load (on track). The engine spent 0.95s between Range 3 and 6; split up that's 0.07s in Range 3, 0.26s in Range 4, 0.36s in Range 5, 0.27s in Range 6. This calculation is based on information available at [1]. This is purely academic and based on what I read on this subject, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Nicola

[1]: http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/
Old 04-04-2015, 02:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Something is wrong with your report - you can't get to range 4 without passing through range 3 and likewise you can't get to range 6 without passing through range 5 - so going from 29 to 101 doesn't make sense nor does going from 150 to 129 - the counter in each range is cumulative. You might ask dealer to explain or re-run the report.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:31 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Something is wrong with your report - you can't get to range 4 without passing through range 3 and likewise you can't get to range 6 without passing through range 5 - so going from 29 to 101 doesn't make sense nor does going from 150 to 129 - the counter in each range is cumulative. You might ask dealer to explain or re-run the report.
I thought it didn't make sense at first as well. I just talked to the previous owner and apparently it was a mis-shift and he clutched-in immediately when he realized it, so perhaps most of the registered ignitions happened in the higher ranges and less in the range 3 and 4 zone because he clutched in? During a mis-shift would revs would instantly jump to the higher range when the clutch is let out and bypass the earlier ranges?
Old 04-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
I thought it didn't make sense at first as well. I just talked to the previous owner and apparently it was a mis-shift and he clutched-in immediately when he realized it, so perhaps most of the registered ignitions happened in the higher ranges and less in the range 3 and 4 zone because he clutched in? During a mis-shift would revs would instantly jump to the higher range when the clutch is let out and bypass the earlier ranges?
no, the motor still fires the plugs clutch in or out.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

I'm seeing cases in all of the rev ranges. Range 3 is only 29, but this is not 0. Am I missing something?
Old 04-04-2015, 04:28 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Something is wrong with your report
This ^ The number for each range must have lower than the range before. I'd rerun the test and wouldn't be surprised to find zeros in ranges 4-6. If correct, buy it BTW, I don't know what this means: "M120_Misfire counter for every ignition: 34385"
Old 04-04-2015, 04:37 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Originally Posted by dasams
This ^ The number for each range must have lower than the range before. I'd rerun the test and wouldn't be surprised to find zeros in ranges 4-6. If correct, buy it BTW, I don't know what this means: "M120_Misfire counter for every ignition: 34385"
Haha... I don't understand that either, I just threw it in hoping someone else might be able to explain it!

Anyway, I plan to get the car PPI'd at an independent shop (one that specializes in track-prepping Porsches). So far I've only been talking to the dealership and previous owner whom I don't doubt are biased towards selling the car. I really like it, though, and I'd plan to keep it for a long time. The previous owner took great care of it both inside and out. The money shift seems to be the one (big) flaw to this diamond.

Also, while searching other people's reports I've found this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-overrev.html
Seems to be a similar situation where there was a mechanical over-rev (money shift) and there's increasing ignitions from ranges 3 to 6. There's no time stamp on when those over-revs occurred but I assume they are from the same single event.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well one thing is for sure....with 11k range 1's the PO definately drove it like he stole it!! ( not that that is a bad thing)...I just checked mine a couple weeks ago with my durametric and have 301 range 1's and thats it....guess I need to whip her a bit more! lol
Old 04-04-2015, 10:17 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I am sure the motor is fine and the CPO will cover you, but the fact that you are asking the dealer, PO and now an independent tells me you may be better off continuing your search.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:56 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What happens when its time to sell ?...unless you are getting a suitable discount, move on.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:14 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the protocol deleted by the Porsche dealer once compression tests are done and CPO is given again?
Old 04-05-2015, 03:39 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by one-rennlist
Isn't the protocol deleted by the Porsche dealer once compression tests are done and CPO is given again?
What "protocol"? If you mean the DME readings, they are a permanent part of the ECU - the over-revs don't go away.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:45 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Originally Posted by one-rennlist
I'm not sure... but I don't believe so. As long as the engine is original I think the DME will always be there and cannot be wiped. I will inquire since the CPO hasn't actually been done yet, but they did say its eligible. The price is great and I am getting quite a good "discount" if you can call it that. The reason I have contact with the previous owner is because it was originally a private sale, but going through the dealership as a convenience sale to get the CPO added, as well as the previous owner being able to deduct the price I pay towards his new car being purchased there. I'm not some sort of stalker trying to track down the owner lol...

I'm still close to pulling the trigger. For resale it will be a concern, yes. I'm hoping that it can be explained by the tests done and if kept for a long time, will become less of an issue if the motor is still healthy. I just wanted to post here and get some different perspectives rather than only talking to the owner/dealership who say the engine is strong so thanks everyone for the input! Will update and let you all know how it goes
Old 04-05-2015, 04:30 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
Range 1: 11517 @ 387.62h
Does anyone know if you can trigger Range 1 over revs by starting from a dead stop and then full throttle until the rev limiter kicks in?

Quick Reply: Over-rev and comp. test #'s on GTS