Sponsored by:

Life after range 6 moneyshift overrev

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Life after range 6 moneyshift overrev

This last weekend I moneyshift my 997.2 GTS going from 3rd to 4th and instead grabbed 2nd at over 100 mph. It was a simple mistake. As soon as I let the clutch out I knew I'd misshifted and pushed the clutch right back in. I smelt a bit of burnt clutch but otherwise no odd sounds or reaction from engine. My heart on the other hand -took a solid beating. Had the car checked out (for peace of mind) at the dealership today and the DME read:
Range 1: 900 ignitions
Range 2: 12
Range 3: 18
Range 4: 59
Range 5: 78
Range 6: 77
The numbers all make sense to me ...as you'd progressively build towards the peak of the number of ignitions and then back down.
The dealer said I should not worry about it for a second as the engines are made to rev..... And it was only there for a split second. However they did say that if I ever had an issue with the engine in the future PCNA would take those overrev's into consideration. If I hadn't experienced the split second event you'd never now it ever happened. I found a ruff approx online of how long the 77 ignitions translated to at over 9500 RPM (stage6):
Over rev ÷ 3 = RPM over limit ÷ by rpm at time
(the 3 represents one half of the cylinders)
Example: 77 over revs is:
77 ÷ 3 = 25.66 rpm ÷ 9500 = 0.0027 of minute.
My question for you is what if anything I should request and pay for as a test at this point to test for damage. The dealership has said don't worry about it and did not suggest any further testing. There are no check engine lights or any odd sounds/vibrations. I share all this for get your thoughts and to share my experience so others might learn from my mistake. (it's really really really easy to misshift.) The car was bought grand new in March and has just over 5k miles. It was meticulously broken in with an oil change at 2k miles.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Something seems off. How can the lower ranges have less ignitions than range 6?
It would have to accelerate past those ranges and also decelerate past those ranges.
Maybe I'm wrong but in all the DME reports I've seen posted it was progressive.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Something seems off. How can the lower ranges have less ignitions than range 6?
It would have to accelerate past those ranges and also decelerate past those ranges.
Maybe I'm wrong but in all the DME reports I've seen posted it was progressive.
Yes, as the revs are being accrued in a particular range, they are simultaneously being accrued in the lower ranges, so range 1 will always have more ignitions than range 2 which will have more ignitions than range 3.....

I'd asked the dealer to see the DME log.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I did this Info is directly off of the DME log. I walked right it the bay and took a photo of his computer screen that displayed the values above.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:11 AM
Gruson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting for sure. Why so many range 6s?

I have a PDK and one time forgot I was in manual mode and Sport Plus. I was showing it to a friend and floored it and didn't understand why it didn't shift out of first. I hit the rev limiter and the engine felt like it just stalled for a couple of seconds before moving again. I wonder what that event would show up as since the RPMs were at the max from what I saw...that mistake won't happen again....
Old 06-26-2013, 02:14 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by SBPORSCHE
I did this Info is directly off of the DME log. I walked right it the bay and took a photo of his computer screen that displayed the values above.
What you reported and what was shown on the screen aren't the same thing. As stated above, range 6 must be less than 5 and 5 must be less than 4, etc. Perhaps the screen wasn't showing cumulative over revs? Regardless, plenty of engines see brief range 6 over revs without issue and this may be the case for your car.

The downside is future risk as Porsche may deny warranty even though not related and if you sell, you may have to price accordingly (whatever that means). As you stated, it's easy to do and happened to me but I felt the resistance when I released the clutch and caught it at range 2. Whew...
Old 06-26-2013, 02:41 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

These are much tougher engines than many will have you believe. Just take it easy with it over the next weeks and tune you ear to listening for anything unusual. Routinely, once you have a 'money shift' behind you, the more time that passes from that 'event' the greater the chance that nothing damaging happened. You reacted quickly--and that is the key. Even Porsche will discount the higher numbers--particularly when they see how far back that event happened.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
These are much tougher engines than many will have you believe. Just take it easy with it over the next weeks and tune you ear to listening for anything unusual. Routinely, once you have a 'money shift' behind you, the more time that passes from that 'event' the greater the chance that nothing damaging happened. You reacted quickly--and that is the key. Even Porsche will discount the higher numbers--particularly when they see how far back that event happened.
I hope you're right but I seem to recall stories that suggest otherwise. Range 1-3, not much of an issue. Range 4-6....good excuse for the dealer to refuse warranty coverage for certain items or to trash the trade-in value.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:54 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I hope you're right but I seem to recall stories that suggest otherwise. Range 1-3, not much of an issue. Range 4-6....good excuse for the dealer to refuse warranty coverage for certain items or to trash the trade-in value.
+1. Sandwedge is stating the widely believed rule of thumb...

I recall several of these stories on the GT3 boards over the years. Anything in Range 4-6 PLUS evidence of track use would void engine warranties.

These things happen. Sounds like the engine is still strong. The only "test" would be an engine tear-down, and at this point it is not worth it... The only downsids will be 1) future weakening of the engine that might require a rebuild, and 2) ability to sell the car to a Porsche dealer or a Rennlist fanatic that runs arund with a Durametrics.

Enjoy your Porsche, and don't worry about it.

-B
Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 PM
A2b
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked the warranty question RE a CPO'ed one I was looking at that had over revs and was told that range 5-6 within the past 50hrs and they won't cover engine work. If you've had over revs and no probs for 50+hrs they deem all is well. The dealer should be able to confirm this.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:31 AM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could someone pl. explain, how to read the DME report. Under normal driving, what does the report look like. How do the numbers relate to in terms of rpm. If I briefly touch the red line, what happens to the numbers..
Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
If I briefly touch the red line, what happens to the numbers..
I recently hit the rev limiter (sounds exactly like the race cars I've seen on TV); not a money shift, just waited a little too long to up-shift. I checked the DME afterward and there were ignitions in ranges 1 and 2. Since the rev limiter is doing its job, I'm guessing that's why ranges 1 and 2 are not considered to be problematic.

Quick Reply: Life after range 6 moneyshift overrev