Sponsored by:

Over-rev and comp. test #'s on GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 04:51 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Does anyone know if you can trigger Range 1 over revs by starting from a dead stop and then full throttle until the rev limiter kicks in?
Sure...as soon as the rev limiter is hit, a range 1 event is recorded.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:53 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
I'm not sure... but I don't believe so. As long as the engine is original I think the DME will always be there and cannot be wiped. I will inquire since the CPO hasn't actually been done yet, but they did say its eligible. The price is great and I am getting quite a good "discount" if you can call it that. The reason I have contact with the previous owner is because it was originally a private sale, but going through the dealership as a convenience sale to get the CPO added, as well as the previous owner being able to deduct the price I pay towards his new car being purchased there. I'm not some sort of stalker trying to track down the owner lol...

I'm still close to pulling the trigger. For resale it will be a concern, yes. I'm hoping that it can be explained by the tests done and if kept for a long time, will become less of an issue if the motor is still healthy. I just wanted to post here and get some different perspectives rather than only talking to the owner/dealership who say the engine is strong so thanks everyone for the input! Will update and let you all know how it goes
If you buy and the dealer CPO's the car be sure you get a printed DME reading on the date of purchase so you have proof that over-revs existed at time of purchase.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:45 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What "protocol"? If you mean the DME readings, they are a permanent part of the ECU - the over-revs don't go away.
Ok, I researched a bit and it seems that every DME is sent to Porsche online anyway, so they'll know...

Nicola
Old 04-05-2015, 10:42 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Well considering range 1 is between 7300 and 7500rpm, and the GTS makes peak power (408hp) at 7300rpm according to Porsche's brochure, then every time the car is making peak power, not even hitting redline at 7400rpm, you're logging range 1 ignitions right? The powerkit and regular 3.8 engines both have the same redline, correct?

Quick Reply: Over-rev and comp. test #'s on GTS